How high is too high?

Horaceunit

Established Member
Just wondering if there is a "too" high for an enclosure? Ceilings are 9 feet from the floor. Enclosure is 4 foot tall and the cabinet it will sit on is 35 inches. Then I added casters to the bottom to make it a bit easier to move. I will have about 21-22 inches clearance from the top of the enclosure to the ceiling. Plenty enough for the vivosun 4 bulb fixture and the heat bulb fixture, but not by a lot. Seems like it might be too high?
20210619_115608.jpg
20210619_115619.jpg

Yeah, but then I can't see him all the time! Just kidding! Mainly I was wondering if there might be heat issues from the lamp or if there was any issues with air exchange out of the top if its too close the ceiling.

Yeah, but then I can't see him all the time! Just kidding! Mainly I was wondering if there might be heat issues from the lamp or if there was any issues with air exchange out of the top if its too close the ceiling.
Mine sit pretty high because of my cabinet. Your temp at the top of the ceiling is going to be warmer. But really nothing else. The cham will love it being higher.

When you start testing temps you may find you do not need a basking fixture with the vivosun. Those units with multiple bulbs put out more heat.

Mine sit pretty high because of my cabinet. Your temp at the top of the ceiling is going to be warmer. But really nothing else. The cham will love it being higher.

When you start testing temps you may find you do not need a basking fixture with the vivosun. Those units with multiple bulbs put out more heat.
That's an interesting point. Especially for a Jacksons but not ruling out a veiled or Panther yet.

That's an interesting point. Especially for a Jacksons but not ruling out a veiled or Panther yet.
So Veileds and Panthers are really in that range too. We recommend lower basking temps compared to old thought. 80-85 is the range at basking for a male Veiled or Panther. A female would be 78-80max as reduced temps and food intake help control clutch size.

Off the top of my head I was thinking Jacksons a bit cooler than the other two but that's good to know that basically they are all about the same temperatures. Still correct that Jackson's need a lower night drop in temperature than Veiled or Panthers?

Off the top of my head I was thinking Jacksons a bit cooler than the other two but that's good to know that basically they are all about the same temperatures. Still correct that Jackson's need a lower night drop in temperature than Veiled or Panthers?
Right so Jackson's if I am remembering correctly are typically 50-65 degree night time range. Veiled and Panthers are a bit warmer. 55-65 range depending on the source you look at. I keep my Veiled as close to 60 as possible but he does well at 65 too. You do not want to fog at night unless you have temps below 67 but also the colder the better when fogging.

You measured the enclosure to be 3" high? :unsure:

IDK what the rest of that means. 🤷‍♂️
No! Sorry. I meant the usb fan. I don't currently have it set up. I'm staining the cabinet today. When I had it mocked up a couple of days ago it was almost exactly 24 inches to the ceiling. Today I put wheels on the cabinet and they were about 2 1/2 inches high. So should be 21 inches from the top to the ceiling give or take. I'm hoping to get it mocked up again tomorrow.

My rack puts my upper cages at 8 feet. In my case I have two levels and it can be a 10f different top to bottom. I run a fan and it balances. Mine are in a garage so no vents.
Your case will be fine

No! Sorry. I meant the usb fan. I don't currently have it set up. I'm staining the cabinet today. When I had it mocked up a couple of days ago it was almost exactly 24 inches to the ceiling. Today I put wheels on the cabinet and they were about 2 1/2 inches high. So should be 21 inches from the top to the ceiling give or take. I'm hoping to get it mocked up again tomorrow.
OK, then to answer your original question:
Mainly I was wondering if there might be heat issues from the lamp or if there was any issues with air exchange out of the top if its too close the ceiling.
That's plenty of room for air circulation/exchange, and if there are any issues from the lights, a muffin fan will help. You don't need to overdo on the fan (check the CFM it'll move) and get the quietest one you can find (for both your sanities—voice of experience) and you can have it thermostatically controlled.

Another thing that might concern some of us (not everyone) is whether or not you can reach the inside top of the screen for cleaning, maintenance, rescues, whatever...

Last edited:
The only other issue I'm a little concerned about is having to raise the lights up off the top. Not going to have a lot of room for that. However it sounds like the height itself isn't really an issue so I'll have to deal with it!

The only light that might need raising i the basking lamp, and that can be compensated for with lower wattage and/or angle. That high up may have a higher ambient temperature, so a lower wattage may be possible anyway.

I don't like putting UVB's directly on the screen for safety reasons and potential to warp/deform the mesh, but mine is less than an inch above, and doesn't heat the screen. The weight is distributed to the frame.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/

In either case, if necessary, you can also compensate by lowering the basking site.
All this stuff is basically trial & error.

The only other issue I'm a little concerned about is having to raise the lights up off the top. Not going to have a lot of room for that. However it sounds like the height itself isn't really an issue so I'll have to deal with it!
Consider putting the basking fixture in the back corner. This will allow for more stable temps and a way for the cham not to be so exposed at the front. Then pull the Vivosun more to the front. The only thing I would be most concerned about raising is the basking fixture.

The trail and error part is why I want it set up and running for at least a month before trying to get an inhabitant. I want to make sure I get all these parameters dailed in first!
Also is that your bedroom or a guest room? Need to make sure (whoever) is going to be ok sleeping in 65 or lower temps if getting a jackson.

For me it gives a great excuse to crank the AC at night but not everyone likes that!

Back
Top Bottom