How high is too high?

Last shot for tonight! Dragon Strand drain pan is installed now. I'll give the drain piece I installed a chance to dry overnight before I put a tube on it. Superglued it and once that was dry I silicone it inside and outside to keep it from leaking.
20210628_195658.jpg

To raise the front to make sure the water drains back properly. It is a 1×3 which may be over kill. 1/2 inch rise would probably be fine.
It depends (what doesn't?) Minimum pitch for surface drainage is 1%, which comes out very close to 1/8" per foot or 1/4" for a 2' deep enclosure. That's what I set up, and it drains fine. ;)

Don't have any leftover plywood around, unfortunately!
Whatever you can find. 1/4" is all that's necessary, but a tad thicker wouldn't be a killer.
Got an old cardboard from the back of a pad of paper? I wouldn't fold it, but cut into squares several layers thick to equal 1/4". Ceramic tile? A couple/few washers taped or glued together?
Look around. ;)

Yeah I'm sure I'll come up with something! I'm only hand misting the plants right now so not much is making it to the pan anyway. I think I'm going to rearrange things a bit this weekend and add some branches. Then I'll get the front tilt back addressed and then get the mister set up and the basking light as well.

Lots more climbing sticks now! I raised the pathos and the raindrop plants up more and added a lot more climbing branches especially at the bottom.

20210703_094833.jpg

Lots more climbing sticks now! I raised the pathos and the raindrop plants up more and added a lot more climbing branches especially at the bottom.
IDK that you need so many at/near the bottom. My cham makes use of pots & verticals to climb up & down. Most of his exploring occurs in the top half. It may also impede addition of another pot or 2 at ground level.

It's up to you. I'd leave it the way it is for a bit and see what your cham utilizes and how, then make adjustments if warranted.

I did pull one. I read ( actually re-read) on chameleon academy to make sure to include a way for the chameleon to get to the bottom and realized I didn't have anything going to the bottom. No cham yet, probably not for at least a month if not 2 so still plenty of time to tweak.

It's probably more of an issue when they're little. Mine never ventured into the lower half until he was 6 months old, then began exploring more in earnest, and hunting down errant crickets. Now I find him on the floor probably once per day checking things out, but he's long/tall enough to climb up an 8" pot, or any of several vertical dowels/sticks along the perimeter.

Last edited:
Done for tonight. Didn't get the mister set up but I'll get that tomorrow. Built a 1x3 frame for the top and the light is on that for now. I was getting 85-88 degrees at the basking branch just from the florescent lights so I figured I should get it up off the screen top. Getting about 80 now. Not sure how this will affect the UVB. Still need to get a Solar meter 6.5.
20210703_174632.jpg

Back
Top Bottom