How high is too high?

Uh... I'd hesitate to call it cord—wire, maybe, and it's complex. Electronics aren't my strong suit.
There are 2 step-down transformers; one for 120v to the pump, and another for that voltage down to the timer. I haven't uncoiled the wire to the timer—haven't needed to for my setup. You can find the wiring connections in the instructions on the MK site.
Here's the image from the timer instructions.
1625429164827.png

The longest wires run from the wall to the Power Adapter, and from the second transformer to the timer. All the other wires are less than 2 ft. ea.

The other alternative is to maybe put velcro on the back of the timer and the inside of the cabinet up high enough to keep it dry even if there is a leak.

The other alternative is to maybe put velcro on the back of the timer and the inside of the cabinet up high enough to keep it dry even if there is a leak.
The timer has a long cord. This could easily be moved away from water. It is the actual connectors from the mistking to the electrical that are shorter.

The platform at the top of the picture is for a fogger. If I find I don't need one all I need to do is remove 4 screws and I can take it off. USB fan is if I need to cool the enclosure. All of these are on Wi-Fi smart plugs including the heat lamp.
20210705_114533.jpg

I'm starting to think I need a separate fixture for the UVB bulb so i can control it better. Original idea was to replace one of the vivosun bulbs with the Arcadia UVB bulb.

I'm starting to think I need a separate fixture for the UVB bulb so i can control it better. Original idea was to replace one of the vivosun bulbs with the Arcadia UVB bulb.
I am not understanding your thought process... You would just replace one of the vivosun bulbs.

If you decide to, you might also consider switching the remaining T5s (essentially plant lights) to more efficient, eco-friendly LEDs.

Well I'll keep the vivosun at least for awhile. They have four t5 ho 6500k bulbs and the idea was to swap one for a UVB.

That's actually what Chameleon Academy suggested in one of its cage build tutorials.
I suppose I do not understand the controlling it better aspect... Also you have a quad. That will put out quite a bit of heat on its own. Covering even more of the top is going to reduce air flow more and adding a single bulb fixture will still increase the temps.

What do you mean by controlling it? Your UVB is not controllable so to speak. You place the fixture and then typically in the back position you would put the UVB. This way they can bask and get heat from the heat bulb and then UVB but if they want to move out of the heated area they can move to the other side where it is just UVB. The area of UVB is directly below the bulb. As you move away either down or out from the sides the UVI level drops.

I have smart plugs that could be used to only have the UVB bulb on for a certain amount of time each day and then turn off. That wouldn't be possible while it's in the fixture with the other bulbs. As you described that's basically what is on chameleon academy and what I intended to do. It's also one reason for the usb fan- which is also on a smart switch. If my Humidity is too high I can always turn it on which will also help with airflow too. I'm always looking for ways to automate!

Individual control also allows you to raise/lower height, including raising one side of the UVB higher than the other for a gradient. This is probably more often done by mounting the basking branches at an angle, but if a cham uses a tree for basking like mine does, it's nice to have options. ;)

You're right about timing. I have my plant lights set for 12/12 hrs on/off, and the UVB comes on one hour later and goes off one hour earlier. This is more naturalistic because the atmosphere filters out most UV when the Sun is low in the sky at dawn/dusk.

I have smart plugs that could be used to only have the UVB bulb on for a certain amount of time each day and then turn off. That wouldn't be possible while it's in the fixture with the other bulbs. As you described that's basically what is on chameleon academy and what I intended to do. It's also one reason for the usb fan- which is also on a smart switch. If my Humidity is too high I can always turn it on which will also help with airflow too. I'm always looking for ways to automate!
Why would you want to reduce your UVB time? Granted I have mine kick off an hour before lights go out completely but it is still on for 10 hours each day. The issue with the quad is you do not have the same control over when you want lights to kick on and off. Because they are not independent of each other. This is why I run individual T5's so I can stagger my lights turning on and turning off. All of them are on Govee wifi plugs and hook up to an app. Maybe the thought should be to return the vivosun and buy individual T5's. Seems as though you would like it more automated and this would give you the ability to do so.

Back
Top Bottom