How does he look...weight concern??

chrisandpugs

Hi everybody,
I'm concerned that my 1 1/2 year old Male Veiled , Sky has a tiny pot belly stomach on him now. I just weighed him and he's 240 gm.
How does he look in the two pics? Unfortunately, the pics don't show much of his stomach but those were the best full body pics that I could take of him.
He currently eats 2-3 giant mealworms and collard greens daily. It has been his staple diet ever since he turned an adult. He hates all other insects and worms. Should I even cut down on his current mealworms and feed him only 1 daily? I hate for him to put on any more weight but on the flip side, , even though he's on the heavier side, it may be good so that if he ever gets sick, he'll have that extra fat layer on him if he suddenly becomes anorexic due to illness.

Other than that, he's very healthy and alert. Your assessment of Sky?

Christine

Attachments

• IMG_0992 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0992 (Small).JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1011 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1011 (Small).JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 147
I think he is awesome!
You are so lucky to have an animal that like to eat!
If I were you I would replace the giant mealworms with super worms.
Giant mealworms are given hormones to get that large.
Plus, supers have more nutrition.
I would just let him eat as much as he wants.

He looks good to me. You definately should not let him eat as much as he wants.Chameleons like people can become obese. How active is he? Is he in a big enough cage that he can be active? Is he having regular bowel movements? All things to consider.

When we fed our male veiled cham, Guido, superworms as his staple diet, he became obese and then had health problems due to poor nutrition. He ended up on the superworm diet because he disdained the crickets we had fed him as a youngster. After he developed some minor issues, and we discovered, through bloodwork at the vet, that his nutrition levels were off, we tried silkworms and he LOVED them. We then tried crickets again, and he accepted those with gusto. He now eats crickets, silkworms, and dubias, is still chubby (even though he's been on a diet since last May) but healthy. He weighs about 220g, and is 14" long. He's the fat-head shown in our avatar :D.

Back
Top Bottom