how do you guys "freshen" up your rooms?

xxaprilrose

Established Member
Just curious but I have noticed a smell in the room my chameleon is. I think it's from the crickets honestly as the cham cage gets cleaned often and even when I am in there cleaning it I dont get any whiff's of the smell I smell. Is there anything safe that I can put in that room to freshen it up? I was opening the windows the last 2 weeks and that did amazing but this week its been way too hot. Open to any suggestions at this point. IM wondering if I should just throw the darn crickets in the garage 😂 but if I did that the smell may leak under the door and into my actual house so I definitely wouldnt want that either! I should also say that I do keep on top of the crickets so there's no dead one's and no moisture. I feed them a dry curated cricket blend that includes "bee pollin, alfalfa, spirulina, dandelion greens, kelp, pumpkin seed, papaya, carrots, apples" and then the water crystals and that's it.

Hello! I really don't think crickets smell that bad. Did I get good ones or something. Lol. someone told me to get deodorant bars because I kinda was asking the same thing. I love smell good stuff & was told you have to be very careful because they have very sensitive lungs but I'll link a pic of what I'm talking about.
Hopefully that helps. Good luck ♡

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210910-135623_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210910-135623_Chrome.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 105
Just curious but I have noticed a smell in the room my chameleon is. I think it's from the crickets honestly as the cham cage gets cleaned often and even when I am in there cleaning it I dont get any whiff's of the smell I smell. Is there anything safe that I can put in that room to freshen it up? I was opening the windows the last 2 weeks and that did amazing but this week its been way too hot. Open to any suggestions at this point. IM wondering if I should just throw the darn crickets in the garage 😂 but if I did that the smell may leak under the door and into my actual house so I definitely wouldnt want that either! I should also say that I do keep on top of the crickets so there's no dead one's and no moisture. I feed them a dry curated cricket blend that includes "bee pollin, alfalfa, spirulina, dandelion greens, kelp, pumpkin seed, papaya, carrots, apples" and then the water crystals and that's it.
I keep mine in the “John Deere” room it’s basically like a mini garage under the garage a lot of people have it down in Missiouri but idk if u have one

i only buy about 30 at a time so that i stay on top of cleaning and rotating. Id say they only last a week in there at a time.
How often are you rotating your cricket bin? This makes a big difference.
Crickets can smell horribly bad. You can get a different feeder. Dubia roaches don't really smell. Or keep your crickets in a basement or garage
I do also plan on fading out the crickets when he gets older and only needs about 5 bugs at a time but since hes onlt 4.5 month he needs 15-20 feeders so I add in crickets because theyre cheap and also he loves them. I find it may be easier to get rid of them when he doesnt eat as much. I feed him right now dubias, crickets, hornworms, BSFL, and occasionally super worms and wax worms. I do find its harder to feed him dubias though because he's cup fed and the dubia's hide in the corners of the bowl so he rarely ever sees them. Ill usually have to pluck them out and place them on a branch for him to see and grab them.

i only buy about 30 at a time so that i stay on top of cleaning and rotating. Id say they only last a week in there at a time.
So your cleaning the dead crickets and old food out weekly? When I have crickets I rotate my bins no less than every 2 days. Otherwise they do really smell. The type of bin matters as well. They need a lot of air flow.

Ventilation of the cricket keeper is important. A little stank at a time tends to go unnoticed versus a big stank that's been building for a while. A small muffin fan on top of the cricket bin/keeper should help. Direction doesn't matter too much, but it will dry things out faster, so you have to watch moisture more closely.

Are you positive it's cricket funk? Any other possible sources (e.g. dead animal in a wall, attic, crawlspace)?

Back
Top Bottom