How do you check for parasites???

I bring fresh (within 24 hours, refrigerated) stool samples to the vet and they do a few different tests. Results are usually back within a day or so. Hope this helps!

hey how do you check for parasites?
Unless you are a vet or have vet experience and a quality microscope, you'll have to take a sample in. We do fecal checks for hook, whip, round, and tape worms at my work (animal welfare) and we use fecal floats. Super easy to understand once you see it done a few times.

Unless you are a vet or have vet experience and a quality microscope, you'll have to take a sample in. We do fecal checks for hook, whip, round, and tape worms at my work (animal welfare) and we use fecal floats. Super easy to understand once you see it done a few times.

Okay I'm In D.C Do you know any vets there?

Crash bandit is right. I've never seen it done, but it is a rather quick process... brought the freshish poop in, and had results within 30 minutes, so it does not necessarily take all day as previously mentioned.

Those out there who don't know already know this, GET A FECAL EXAM. DONE on your chams! It wasn't until I had my cham for a year that I noticed something was up. God knows how long he had coccidia for, but as a result, I believe he may never reach his full potential. He's a little more than a year and a half old now and he still doesn't have his fully matured colors yet. Not sure if it's just me being pessimistic, but I want to stress how important it is to get a fecal done on your cham when you get it, especially if it is showing any signs such as lethargy or not eating much. My cham looks very colorful sometimes, but the majority of the time, he is sort of bland looking. I love him, and he is my only cham, but I take the blame for causing undue stress and not getting him the meds he needed to begin with.

IF you see a little red in the urate of the poop it has a parasite.
Where did you get this information from? Could I see a source not saying it isn't true just never herd this before. I suppose it could happen given the fact that a lot of parasites live in the digestive tract. But then that doesn't explain how my Uromastyx had pin worms without any pink urates. So if it does happen I would venture to say it doesn't happen every time. Please if you have information on this I really would like to see it. Thank you

Where did you get this information from? Could I see a source not saying it isn't true just never herd this before. I suppose it could happen given the fact that a lot of parasites live in the digestive tract. But then that doesn't explain how my Uromastyx had pin worms without any pink urates. So if it does happen I would venture to say it doesn't happen every time. Please if you have information on this I really would like to see it. Thank you

Upon reading online when I had beardies it was any sign of red in urate OR rust colored feces could indicate a parasite(s). Or it could show constipation strain as well but most cases noticeable in wild caught and raised species.

In most cases you don't see it all the time. It has to do with what type of parasite it could be but most cases it does show a tiny drop of blood somewhere and most of the time it's on the urate.

Back
Top Bottom