How do I sex discoids?

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
I started my discoid colony last autumn and have had some good success. I’ve never been able to find anything to help me sex the roaches though...everything is for dubia. I’d like to add another breeding bin and prefer to get the ideal male/female ratio. Do keep in mind that I can’t/won’t touch them with my hands. I haven’t yet progressed to that part of accepting roaches.

You can sex all roaches the same, but you're going to have to touch them. Or maybe throw them in a clear container and look through the bottom. That link from reptofreak explains it what to look for. Generally, female adult roaches will be larger too. Not always an easy way to tell, but sometimes can help with the sexing.

I trired sexing a Halloween hisser the other day, you would be surprised how much the spikes on the legs hurt and they are strong!!! The male hisser did not want me to sex him. He was running around the bin hissing at me, I ended up giving up and just deciding it’s a male.

Last edited:
Thank you! Thank you!
You can sex all roaches the same, but you're going to have to touch them. Or maybe throw them in a clear container and look through the bottom. That link from reptofreak explains it what to look for. Generally, female adult roaches will be larger too. Not always an easy way to tell, but sometimes can help with the sexing.
Nope! Nope! Nope! Not touching them! They aren’t allowed to touch me either. I use this. ;)
B67DC366-A11F-4B2E-9E0E-FBF42A8959F1.jpeg

....that link says you can keep them in glass aquariums, but wont they climb the glue sides?
Discoid and dubia neither fly nor climb smooth surfaces. I keep mine in a massive plastic tote. Only the babies try to climb and they only make it a few inches up before falling.

Discoid and dubia neither fly nor climb smooth surfaces. I keep mine in a massive plastic tote. Only the babies try to climb and they only make it a few inches up before falling.
Which makes sense for tote keeping. Im saying glass aquariums, with the silicon strip on the 4 sides, cant they climb that??

Which makes sense for tote keeping. Im saying glass aquariums, with the silicon strip on the 4 sides, cant they climb that??
I don’t know. Maybe the little babies can, but I would think the big adults would be too big. I suppose one could always attach slick tape over the silicone strips to inhibit climbing ability.

So ummmm I had them in an aquarium but then also in a plastic container... It was when I first started keeping dubia. I guess I must have dropped one into the aquarium. I came back a few hours later and there was one crawling around the rim of the aquarium. It had to have crawled up the silicon strip because the other container was smaller and had a lid on it in the center of the tank with room going around.

So ummmm I had them in an aquarium but then also in a plastic container... It was when I first started keeping dubia. I guess I must have dropped one into the aquarium. I came back a few hours later and there was one crawling around the rim of the aquarium. It had to have crawled up the silicon strip because the other container was smaller and had a lid on it in the center of the tank with room going around.
Thats what I was thinking they'd do.
I would also like to note, I am NOT planning on doing this. I have 6 plastic totes with lids and screen. Lol. It was just something that jumped out at me in that link.

Thats what I was thinking they'd do.
I would also like to note, I am NOT planning on doing this. I have 6 plastic totes with lids and screen. Lol. It was just something that jumped out at me in that link.
Yeah I went from a regular tank to a tank with slide in lid after that. I don't keep enough on hand at one time to make it worth while to keep them in a tote.

Yup will definitely climb the silicone. Theyll also climb slightly rough plastic like most solid color totes(clear ones are slick).
Yeah I had this happen I put them in a blue bin that was slightly rough. I walked away for a second to grab the lid and when I got back they were climbing to the top! I had to switch bins really fast after that or I would have to explain to my husband that I messed up

A small (long vs wide) piece of cork is great for getting some out. I won't touch a roach... but I have cork in all their bins. When I need some doobies, I just grab a small piece with my tongs and shake it in my dusting container. No touching! That doesn't help size them... but if you need to sort them I have a good trick for that, too!

@JoXie411 you must be a Darla. My halloween hissers are super chill. I only ever heard one hiss when it was in the middle of being eaten. And they aren't too active. Good heads up on the spiky legs, though...I'll keep that in mind during feeding. Hope it doesn't bother the chams.
c566d841ad022e18884f8e7b88273f69.jpg

Back
Top Bottom