how do i know if my chameleon fully recoverd from a URI?

dakotakleiner

Your Chameleon - veiled, male, Aprox. 5-6months of age in my care for 3 months

Handling - before he got sick i handled him 2-3 times a week for a few minutes now about 2 times a week

Feeding -5-10 crickets everyday sometimes i miss a day or two. i feed my crickets mustard greens collard greens and romain

Supplements - i use exo-terra plain calcium 5days a week now repcal once a month and herptivite every other week

Watering - i mist few times a day 2-5 for at least one minute sometimes a few minutes but i wait til the cage drops down in humidity before misting again i also have a dripper

Fecal Description - his droppings sometimes are brown and whit and sometimes the tip of the whites like yellowish hes never been tested but hes been drinking a lot more water than usual and his poop has been getting whiter

History - he was on baytril for popping and wheezing he was having trouble breathing....i think he caught it on a ride to the pet store to get checked out its cold here but i wrapped him in a tubber ware dish and brought him there the tub stayed 75 degrees the hole time i dont know what happend

Cage Info:
Cage Type - all screen cage except front door and floor are plexiglass its 30 inchs high and 24 by 24 roughly

Lighting - 730 am - 645 pm he has an r-zilla t8 its 5.0 and a 75 watt basking light exo-terra sunglo... he also has a flunkers indacent bulb 75watt however u spell it i need both bulb because his cage size and during the winter if not his temps will be like 65-70 during the day

Temperature -the mid cage is in the 80s 75-85 and the Lowest overnight temp is 65.5 the basking spot is 83-89degrees the floor of the cage is 70-76 but he rarely goes down there i measure these temps with two thermometer probes

Humidity - my humidity level always drops down to about 27% after i mist the cage its anywhere from 60-99% but i believe its only 99% because the water gets in the probe and it drops down to 70-60 fairly quickly after misting the cage i measure this with a hygrometer(however i think the water getting in my probe cooked it it doesnt go up past 40 anymore

Plants - fake and live two live pothos
Placement - its in the corner of my room near a heat vent for air circulation and some heat no one really comes in my room the cage is on a stand about 1.5 ft off the ground
Location Michigan

My veiled cham (martian) has been off of baytril for 2 weeks now ive only held him since his last dose about 3 times because i wanted him to feel comfortable again everytime i hold him i can usually hear a popping noise coming from his nostril i dont know how long that takes to go away but i also dont know if its okay he doesnt open his mouth to breath any more wheezing but he worries me i really hope hes not getting sick again i dont know what to do i have baytril left, does anyone have any tips or clues im very unfamiliar with URIs and little popping sounds coming from the nose and i just got a misting system from pro mist im dieing to hook up but i want my chameleon to be healthy before i have a empty micro rainforst in my room

Last edited:
If you can still hear a popping noise, I would call the vet and see what he/she thinks you should do. Your chameleon may need to be on antibiotics for a while longer...or may need to try another antibiotic.

Hope it clears up soon!

you will know if he is over the infection. my panther was on baytril for 10 days and he isnt weezing or producing excess mucus anymore.

Back
Top Bottom