HOW DO i humidify my Cage!?

suncei

hey guys...

I live in las vegas 0-10% humidity

the cage gets to a max of 70% when i just mist but after 30 min it is back down to 30%

I need a humidifier but my cage is completely screened 2'x2'x3' cage

any suggestions of how i accomplish 50-60% humidity?

thanks

Yep...get you a shower curtian or thick mil plastic and cover 2 or 3 sides of the outside cage and it will hold humidity up longer. I run a humidifier up at the top of the cage and do well.

I've seen some people here using a cool mist humidifier, I think you can get them from walmart. The misty air comes out of a spout and you can set it up beside the cage and direct it where you want it. You can also try to enclose 2-3 sides of the cage with a shower curtain (Yes, this does to some extent seem silly to get a screen cage and then close up the sides, but its still better ventilated than a glass cage).

With that low of humidity it would probably be easier to breathe the air for humans as well if you got a humidifier! Although you might be used to it since you live there :).

ETA: I see other people said the same thing while I was typing LOL.

Try covering the sides first. It's cheaper. The humidifier can go below or next to the cage as it "sprays" up, if you go that route.

I noticed my room being 50% yesterday by just keeping my door closed. But, I have 9 basking/7 UV lights going on in there. And I live in CA.
Just to note it's kinda icky, lol. But, oh well.

I have always been in favor of ultra-sonic cool mist humidifiers. Chris Anderson just posted some pics of his trip to Cameroon that are awesome. He mentioned some very informitive info on the temp/humididty level variations based on elevation and forest density. He mentioned that he may start to use cool mist humidifiers in some of his glass enclosures based on some of the observations he made in the field. Misting a cage with a hand mister or even an automated mister doesn't do what an ultra-sonic cool mist humidifier (UCH) will do. Hand/automated misters create a 'roller-coaster effect' of brief periods of higher humidity followed by lower levels. However this might be what you are striving for based on species perhaps. My suggestion is to pipe the mist into your cage, and I personally like for the mist to enter the cage from the top, preferably at a corner. The mist is heavy and it settles to the bottom of your enclosure. Placing the UCH toward the lower portion of the cage allows for the mist to just linger at the lower levels. Piping it in from the top creates almost like a downdraft or waterfall of mist if you will. To me this saturates more of the airspace with the desired humidity. Piping it in at a corner as opposed to dead-top-center creates a 'humidity gradient' of sorts, meaning that one side of the upper portion of the cage will have a slightly drier air quality. Based on so many people asking about humidifiers, I will soon post some video on my humidier set-up.

Keep lots of live plants and water vapour put into the air, in a place of a certain temperature will cause the humidity/relative humidity to increase.

live plants help...even if they arent in the cage and just in the room itself, they will boost the ambient humidity level

just bought the cool mist humidifier and it is elevated on a table and facing the cage about 3 ft away... and the humidifier blows its invisible mist into the cage.....right now it seems to be holding the humidity at 50% which is GREAT!:D
and even thou it is a cool mist the temp is holding at 70 (ambient cage) and 85deg basking area

you need to move to Florida!!! My humdity is at 59% without even misting! Not to rub it in or anything!!!;)

just bought the cool mist humidifier and it is elevated on a table and facing the cage about 3 ft away... and the humidifier blows its invisible mist into the cage.....right now it seems to be holding the humidity at 50% which is GREAT!:D
and even thou it is a cool mist the temp is holding at 70 (ambient cage) and 85deg basking area

BINGO. Jdog hit the nail on the head and is why we use our ultrs sonic humidifers. Helps em shed aswell.

Back
Top Bottom