How do I cut down the mucus during URI treatment?

luckykarma

My guy is on his 9th day of Baytril. I started with a lower dose and raised it today because he just has so much mucus its really hard on him.

Is there anything I can give him to cut down on the mucus while he's getting over this? It got scary this morning when he had his mouth full open like a yawn trying to breath....

Dunno if you really want cut down on his secretions, as this is the way his body is flushing his system.

Hope you cham starts to feel better.

OPI:)

Thanks for the wishes. I feel really bad for this guy. Its the second time he came down with it. He stopped eating which is really opposite as he's normally a pig. Just have to wait it out. Would making his drinking water warm - not hot - but warmer a good idea to help cut the mucus?

Is this your panther? I sure hope he starts to show improvement soon. How's Karma? Is he still doing ok?

I'm not sure if there's anything you can give him to lessen it but what I did with mine is get a qtip & wiped the mucus off gently from his mouth and nostrils.

Hi Jann. I think about you often when I see Karma holding on which he's still doing. Yes, this is one of my Panthers.

Mika. He's not foaming at the mouth like the last battle with URI. I might try something like that although as soon as I would stick something in his mouth he'll chomp down.

Last edited:
Thanks for the wishes. I feel really bad for this guy. Its the second time he came down with it. He stopped eating which is really opposite as he's normally a pig. Just have to wait it out. Would making his drinking water warm - not hot - but warmer a good idea to help cut the mucus?

I'm not really sure whether you should play with temps either...I think the best you can do is keep the temp in the most optimal range, reduce the amount of stress on him as much as possible and let the meds do their job.

Good luck:

OPI

Yeah, mine wasn't foaming at the mouth either. He wasn't dripping saliva or anything he just had a lot of it inside his mouth when he wasn't on Baytril.

I could see it when he opened his mouth and some came out of his nostrils.

So you were able to get the Q-tip in his mouth to wipe it out successfully?

opihima - this is one of the downsides of free range. When he thinks he can breath he's running around the place and I have to pick him up and put him back on his tree or I worry he'll get too cold. Putting him in a cage until gets better will just stress him out more as he's always been free range and does not enjoy being in his sunning cage when he's outside. He's constantly climbing the walls to get out. I would love to leave him completely alone aside from giving him the Baytril. Unfortunately I have to pick him up several times a day.

Last edited:
Yup, mine tries to take a bite at me all the time so the whole time I'm holding him he has his mouth open.

Back
Top Bottom