How deep do your ladies dig?

Bradycham

Established Member
This is my first attempt at a non-montane chameleon. She is my one of my chamaeleo africanus. I have had all sorts of species lay eggs for me but most of them are only a few inches under the dirt. This little lady has dug all the way to the bottom of the small trash can in her enclosure. Which is 13 inches deep and she is trying to go further! Is this normal, is she confused? Like I said over the years I have only ever kept Montane chameleons, so these warmer climate chams are new to me. Video recording of her laying eggs as we speak! I will you tube it for everyone when she is done! Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks.

My veileds always dig to the bottom of the bathroom trash can that their sand is in. It is about 10" deep.

Im sorry, I dont do females, I am absolutely no help to you.
but I read most have a min 12 inches deep which seems to be the norm.

But, this is only what I have read, I truly have no experience in this

My veileds always dig to the bottom of the bathroom trash can that their sand is in. It is about 10" deep.

Thanks Jan, your the perfect person for this queation since your chams are somewhat similar to what anyone here keeps aside from showjet. I also used a bathroom trashcan, mine is 13 inches. Does yours try to leep digging even though their at the bottom?

My laying bins are 12 inches deep and all my ladies dig to the very bottom usually in a corner.I found if i stick a fake fern in the sand and it makes them feel more secure to lay in the bin

Lily went all the way to the bottom 14 inches.

I realize in the wild they would dig deep to keep predators from finding them.

What I don't understand is how they expect those babies to dig their way out?

my veiled chameleon recently laid 53 infertile eggs in 6 inches of sand.

You are very luck that a veiled would lay in only 6 inches of sand. Most veileds are VERY picky.

My girls are similar to Bocajan's. They dig to the bottom and near the edge. I recommend not using 10 to 12 inches of sand but no more than 12 because they wear themselves out digging (before trying to lay). I give mine allot of privacy when digging but have never noticed one trying to dig through the bottom.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

Lily went all the way to the bottom 14 inches.

I realize in the wild they would dig deep to keep predators from finding them.

What I don't understand is how they expect those babies to dig their way out?

That's what I was thinking! Ha. Thanks for the info!

You are very luck that a veiled would lay in only 6 inches of sand. Most veileds are VERY picky.

My girls are similar to Bocajan's. They dig to the bottom and near the edge. I recommend not using 10 to 12 inches of sand but no more than 12 because they wear themselves out digging (before trying to lay). I give mine allot of privacy when digging but have never noticed one trying to dig through the bottom.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

Yeah, I walked into the room only to hear this weird scratching noise coming from the cage and I noticed a ton of sand on the ground in the cage and a huge hole int the laying bin, i bent down to listen and she was al the way to the bottom trying to go further. She has stopped digging twice since posting this, once last night to bask and sleep and once today right at this moment to bask. Is this normal? My montanes always just went down, dug a small hole and lay'd their eggs no breaks or anything.

I got mine from this last batch that came in. Did you get some?

Yeah I got the last pair. The females doing fine and looks very plump (gravid) the male on the other hand died within 48 hours of getting him. He made it here alive and ate and drank but always remained really dark. On the second day when I went in to check on them he was laying at the bottom of the cage and died in about an hour or so after that. Sad but on a positive note the female is drinking, eating and looking really good. I need to put a laying bin in her cage although she hasn't appeared to be looking for one yet.

Back
Top Bottom