HOw close/far should lights be?

camimom

So, here are some pics of Kink and his home. I was wondering how close his lights should be to him.

I dont know the wattage on his basking light, but the uvb is a 10.0. i know people dont necessarily like that one, but I dont have access to a 5.0 until this weekend.

His basking temp is around 70-75 deg. and he does have places to go if he gets to warm. I know I need to add some more foliage, but cant get more plants until this weekend too.
(where I live is like barron for the necessities)

So how far close to him do the lights have to be, mainly the uvb, to be effective for him?

Ps. right now, the lights are about 7-8 inches from the top of his cage.

View attachment 34441

View attachment 34442

View attachment 34443

View attachment 34444

Last edited:
I originally had the lights on top of his cage, but i felt like it was only getting to a part of the cage, the light i mean, not th ewhole cage. and with this wire rack i just got, i can set up a drainage system too.

Well he does need to be able to move away from the lights. To regulate his body temps. Here is a old picture of one of my cages.
063.jpg

I like it. I hope to make a big cage for Kink once hes older. RIght now I lose him in the cage he's in now, he's so small. Hahha
What kind of cham is that a pic of? I really like him/her.

I like it. I hope to make a big cage for Kink once hes older. RIght now I lose him in the cage he's in now, he's so small. Hahha
What kind of cham is that a pic of? I really like him/her.

LOL, I lose him in his cage sometimes. He can blend in well at times.
He is a Ambanja Panther chameleon Male. He is a few days away from his 1st birthday.

Hes very pretty. I want to get a translucent veiled once I move in a few months, got no room right now for another cage.

I totally agree. I have no room what so ever. And I still have to add 4 more cages in the next week or so. Animals everywhere.:eek:

i am not an expert by any means, so if someone could verify that knows a little more about the subject that would be great...but from my understanding, the UVB on penetrates down about 12 inches...also, i think you could boost the basking temps up a few degrees

i am not an expert by any means, so if someone could verify that knows a little more about the subject that would be great...but from my understanding, the UVB on penetrates down about 12 inches...also, i think you could boost the basking temps up a few degrees

Ya that basking site could def. be a bit warmer more like 80- 85 degrees depending on what kinda cam you have.

Ya that basking site could def. be a bit warmer more like 80- 85 degrees depending on what kinda cam you have.

Its a male veiled. I heard that because he is a baby (only 9 weeks) that his basking temps should be lower than for a grown adult.

Back
Top Bottom