Hornworm mandibles

Chameleons instinctively aim for the head; especially when there's a potential for the prey to fight back and hurt them. Aiming for the head means they kill the prey as soon as they get it in their mouth.

As was metioned above, they seem to know and plan accordingly before striking certain prey items. I've fed my Jacksons bees in the past, and he's always careful to aim for the head and kill it as soon as it gets in his mouth, so it doesn't swing it's thorax around and sting him.

So this was something I stumbled upon.. Not my post in any way shape or form, but someone on another forum that I'm on posted this..
"The last of the hornworms i bought a week or so ago. The last time i gave Joey and Zoey one, Zoey's bit her lip and Joey's had his last sticky foot stuck to the outside of Joey's lip! It took Joey (with me attempting to help but not wanting to get bit and him scraping at the screen with the side of his mouth) about 3 minutes to get it off :( I felt horrible for both babies!! I guess my question is should I clip the chompers off and clip their suction feet off before I give these huge ones to them?? Lol, I'm sure it sounds goofy...but I don't want my chams to get hurt or traumatized!!......"

I'm not sure how old the chams are but based on pictures and guessing i'd say around 5-6 months old.. I've still never had an issue with Yoshi but it does exist lol

I recommend always feeding small hornworms. The big ones are to scary for me. Years ago a medium size horn stuck to the back of my female panthers throat while we were on vacation and the petsitter was with my chameleons. She was an experienced petsitter that not only petsitter for me but house cleaned also, and she was able to reach in the Panthers mouth and pull the worm out.

If you do, you should get one now. I don't think I will be breeding them anymore and will just allow my breeding population to age out. I also might be moving to Canada. The babies I have now might be my last. I'm not sure I will let the eggs I have in the incubator hatch. Just saying.
You might not let the eggs hatch? I need to hurry with the enclosures.

Back
Top Bottom