Hornworm mandibles

Does anyone else clip off the hornworms mandibles right before feeding to your chameleons? I do! And also before feeding to my bearded dragon. I can’t remember where I read it, but this lady said her female adult Cham was choking on a hornworm because the hornworm had bit and latched onto the cham’s throat. So scary! I have tiny scissors and I clip them off. I hate doing that :( but I couldn’t imagine losing my little buddies over something so crazy. I need to upload these photos from my camera to my computer but they’re still pretty clear. They look like aliens!!!

Attachments

• 2C10A8F2-71B5-42D5-BD71-A958CFF3DE09.jpeg
    2C10A8F2-71B5-42D5-BD71-A958CFF3DE09.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 206
  • AEE7666C-DC31-4F27-B019-52BD53EFA707.jpeg
    AEE7666C-DC31-4F27-B019-52BD53EFA707.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 169
I've heard of people doing this and I'll admit, I have before for some huge, active hornworms, but in general I don't bother even giving it a thought 99% of the time.
My hornworms are not anywhere close to being huge yet. So maybe I don’t need to clip them but I hate to see how big they are on a fully grown worm!!! Ahh! Maybe for now I won’t clip them :)

I've never had an issue with hornworms, I saw an article like that as well, but I usually watch my Yoshi eat anyways, so I'd know right away if he's had any issues eating them.. :)
Hey!!! You are on my Instagram!!!!! I’ve been hand feeding the hornworms and he’s been getting them down just fine! Lol if I set the worm on the branch it grabs on for dear life and Yoshi about rips it in half. So I just hand feed now !!

Hey!!! You are on my Instagram!!!!! I’ve been hand feeding the hornworms and he’s been getting them down just fine! Lol if I set the worm on the branch it grabs on for dear life and Yoshi about rips it in half. So I just hand feed now !!
Oh Heyy girllll! Haha and yeah they show no mercy lol my friends literally come over to watch him eat I have a little dish that looks like a leaf for him.. The boyfriend and I were just talking and joking about how we think he's lazy because he doesn't like to hunt, he likes to eat out of the dish or he'll stand on the edge of the cricket container and eat them out of the container sometimes, but that's like shooting fish in a barrel haha #domesticated haha jkjk

@yoshicham5267 I think you are overthinking this. First, you have no idea if what you heard is factual and even if it was, I really doubt a chameleon would actually choke to death. They don't breathe a lot and normally have a very low blood oxygen level. That being said, I am sure it could happen but I just really doubt it. Sometimes chameleons have trouble swallowing something because it is too big. That's not the same as choking to death.

Second, a chameleon actually knows the head of an bug from the tail. If you watch, they aim for the head. If you feed them something really big (which I often do) you will see them planning when and where to hit the bug. I've fed my adult wild caughts adult Katydids that are the size of their heads and really big wild stick bugs that take them a long long time to work down into the stomach. They come alive and are very animated as they plan to get the big bug. I think part of their increased interest is that it is a wild bug and they really do know the difference between a wild caught bug than a commercial feeder (and they MUCH prefer wild). Also, spiders and bees are a big part of a wild chameleon's diet. I would not recommend a honey bee as a feeder as English honey bees have a much more venomous sting than any African bee but I have seen my animals hit them and eat them without any issue when outside. I know people who collect wild bugs and put everything into the chameleon cages, including any spiders caught up in the field sweep.

Herbivore caterpillars might pinch but I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

This is the thread @YoshiTheChameleon17 was talking about: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/do-hornworms-bite.14659/ if you just scroll down the thread a little bit. I know that it really isn't an issue so long as you make sure to feed the hornworms to the chameleon head first so that they die quickly and cannot defend themselves. I think that the story that woman told was just a random chance that the hornworm got to latch on, and I didn't even know they did that, I mean biting and then not letting go. I think it was a weird circumstance and I have never heard of it happening other than that instance.

@yoshicham5267 I think you are overthinking this. First, you have no idea if what you heard is factual and even if it was, I really doubt a chameleon would actually choke to death. They don't breathe a lot and normally have a very low blood oxygen level. That being said, I am sure it could happen but I just really doubt it. Sometimes chameleons have trouble swallowing something because it is too big. That's not the same as choking to death.

Second, a chameleon actually knows the head of an bug from the tail. If you watch, they aim for the head. If you feed them something really big (which I often do) you will see them planning when and where to hit the bug. I've fed my adult wild caughts adult Katydids that are the size of their heads and really big wild stick bugs that take them a long long time to work down into the stomach. They come alive and are very animated as they plan to get the big bug. I think part of their increased interest is that it is a wild bug and they really do know the difference between a wild caught bug than a commercial feeder (and they MUCH prefer wild). Also, spiders and bees are a big part of a wild chameleon's diet. I would not recommend a honey bee as a feeder as English honey bees have a much more venomous sting than any African bee but I have seen my animals hit them and eat them without any issue when outside. I know people who collect wild bugs and put everything into the chameleon cages, including any spiders caught up in the field sweep.

Herbivore caterpillars might pinch but I honestly wouldn't worry about it.
Every post you make, I learn something new. Thank you!

Lol I do!

If you do, you should get one now. I don't think I will be breeding them anymore and will just allow my breeding population to age out. I also might be moving to Canada. The babies I have now might be my last. I'm not sure I will let the eggs I have in the incubator hatch. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom