Hornworm addict - staple food?

ojr5

I seem to be having the opposite problem as another poster this morning: Heisenberg is ADDICTED to hornworms. What originally began as what I perceived to be a hunger strike is turning out to just really be an affinity for the things. (He'll eat some crix if I don't give him a worm for a few days). But as soon as he sees a horn, he goes after it. It's the only food he'll eat from my hand.

So question: how much of a staple feeder can these be? I went ahead and just bought a tub that I can have on hand for the next week or so. Is it still crucial to mix them up with crunchier insects?

Thanks

HA! That's my girl who, so far, refuses to eat the hornworms that I present to her.

But, from what I've read, you should limit hornworms as they can be high in fat.

I'm sure others with much more knowledge will offer more information.

Hornworms should not be a staple diet. I can't find the link with the nutritional breakdown, but they are not as nutritious as other feeders as they are mostly "bags of water" (I believe silkworms are a more nutritious caterpillar since they are high in protein and calcium). However, they do gutload easily and are great for hydrating a sick chameleon and keeping a healthy one "regular". Still, you definitely need "crunchies" in the diet too (kind of like we need fiber). The link below recommends them to be no more than 20% of the total diet.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/74-feeders.html

Good luck in breaking your cham of this hunger strike!

Back
Top Bottom