Hopper ID please

Rst_Cham

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have a patch of tall grass in my yard,finally went out there with a net and caught me twenty little grasshoppers plus the two big pair that I already have. Can anyone help me ID? Sorry, not great pictures, they wouldn't stop hopping.

I'm going to try to breed them!

Attachments

• 1C23EEB1-B592-4F2E-B607-0FFC0BF8099A.jpeg
    1C23EEB1-B592-4F2E-B607-0FFC0BF8099A.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 125
  • A259A1CE-AA5D-429A-AB9C-447574FA824D.jpeg
    A259A1CE-AA5D-429A-AB9C-447574FA824D.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 103
  • E4F82B7C-0A75-4519-A562-B626FF4A943A.jpeg
    E4F82B7C-0A75-4519-A562-B626FF4A943A.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 115
The third one is definitely a Red-legged Locust, Melanoplus femurrubrum.

Last edited:
First could be a Pallid-winged Grasshopper, or Trimerotropis pallidipennis. Looks similar to the Carolina locust, you can tell the difference between them by the hind wing, if it is pale, it's the Pallid-winged Grasshopper, mainly dark, it's a Carolina Locust. The banding on the legs and forewings, as well as the color of it, makes me lean to it being a Pallid-winged Grasshopper.

Last edited:
First could be a Pallid-winged Grasshopper, or Trimerotropis pallidipennis. Looks similar to the Carolina locust, you can tell the difference between them by the hind wing, if it is pale, it's the Pallid-winged Grasshopper, mainly dark, it's a Carolina Locust. The banding on the legs and forewings, as well as the color of it, makes me lean to it being a Pallid-winged Grasshopper.
Thank you, i appreciate it!

It's 100% Carolina Grasshopper. You can tell by the crest thing on the pronotum and wider wings.

That's a katydid!!! DANGIT I am outside every night trying to find these things and they just fly into every one else!
LOL he was just chilling on the door frame above my storage unit I was like LOOK AT THIS THING and when I remembered I have a little cricket keeper that I could have stole it in he was gone :(

I've seen lots of leaf and stick bugs at my new apartment complex. Maybe time to go hunting.

That's a katydid!!! DANGIT I am outside every night trying to find these things and they just fly into every one else!
I saw one myself the other day above one of the windows on the front of my house. I hear them every night up in the trees, but I don't see them very often.

If you want to see some hustle, offer a cham a stick bug!
I would love to try stick bugs as a feeder but have no idea where to get them. I dont trust the wild ones here to not have some sort of chemicals all over them

I would like to do stick bugs too but not sure what I'd feed them over winter...

I'm going to try Oak grown from acorns. Actually heading out this weekend to gather some (hopefully if they've fallen). In about 4-5 weeks I should have little 3-4 leaf trees I can put in. I'll need a lot of acorns, though! Some people have had good luck with freezing oak and bramble, too, but mine came out all mushy and gross.

Back
Top Bottom