Hopper ID please

Katydids are absolutely some of the best bugs. I'm actually fixin' to go gather some. I cant seem to get mine to breed however. I very rarely get to offer one to any of my chams for more than a few seconds!!

I too wanna try stick bugs.. but as mentioned they can give off some type of 'repellent'. There are a subset species - the ocala national forest variant - that seem interesting but are black and red colors.

Attachments

• 20190826_181803.jpg
    20190826_181803.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 20190812_072756_076_saved.jpg
    20190812_072756_076_saved.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 130
Ty Dye exotics have some, im expecting a delivery today actually. Never had any before, not really sure what im going to do with them, was more curious than anything else. Any reason to be concerned over these?
Stick.png

Ty Dye exotics have some, im expecting a delivery today actually. Never had any before, not really sure what im going to do with them, was more curious than anything else. Any reason to be concerned over these?
View attachment 245171
That's pretty sweet dang sweet! I see no issues, other than the costs, with any of those. The leaf and sticks I havent had a chance to feed off yet. I was able to wrangle a few leaf bugs of the indigenous variety, but as of yet are too small for any of my guys.

Sticks aren't exactly local to my exact area but do live north about 30 minutes. I haven't gotten any yet as I can in theory catch them. However, the aussie and pink wing (if I'm not mistake the pink wing is the "common" walking stick. Through my little bit of research so far, I believe it is ALL variations of stick bugs are capable of producing the defensive squirt... but that some species are just less likely to do so. (As well as CB helping mitigate this) I BELIEVE that the pink wing is in the category of less likely.

The aussie - I believe this is the one that is more typical of people wanting pets? This is the largest of the stick bugs and develops thorn like spikes - just feed them before they get to the "giant" size i guess? Its un-scientific name is "giant spiny walking stick".

Leaf bugs def a win as are the pink wings. I hear pink wings are easier to breed and reproduce faster. Careful with the aussie, lol.

I'm no entomologist. Nice find too!

View attachment 245171

So much for secret menu BRODY!!!!

The leafs and pinkwings, for sure! Keep the pinkwings around long enough to get some eggs before you feed them off. Like 30+ eggs would be ideal, if not more. They drop them like crazy so shouldnt be an issue if theya re adults. If they are young nymphs you'll be letting them grow for a few months. Leaf insects are cool!

Could the pink wings eat raspberry leaves that were frozen? I have a bush, but worried what I would feed them in winter. Could I freeze the raspberry leaves?

Could the pink wings eat raspberry leaves that were frozen? I have a bush, but worried what I would feed them in winter. Could I freeze the raspberry leaves?

Yep - a lot of people freeze the leaves to get them through winter. I didn't have much luck with that but you can certain freeze a bit and defrost it as a test to see how it fares. I think I tried oak and it wasn't great... but that could also have been my technique. Some of them will eat lettuce, too.

Yep - a lot of people freeze the leaves to get them through winter. I didn't have much luck with that but you can certain freeze a bit and defrost it as a test to see how it fares. I think I tried oak and it wasn't great... but that could also have been my technique. Some of them will eat lettuce, too.
OK, thanks! I cant find any for sale right now anyhow, maybe out of season.

I believe Nick is on vacation this week, so if you reached out to him by email and haven't heard back yet, I'd give him a week or so. I think he's out of pink wing but may have others.

plus I'd ask what a nymph is. They go through major growth from nymph to adult... so are we talking a nymph that is half an inch long and will die if you look at it too hard? Or a nearly full grown 4" long insect? It will take several months for a baby to grow to adult and drop eggs. In my mind, I'd get them to get the eggs, otherwise they are pricey feeders.

Yeah, I wouldn't feed them off at that price either. I'd try to raise them up to adults.
Yea, exactly what I'd do as well. I hear they're fairly easy to colonize. I'm just frugal... if I can go for a walk at night and catch some, lol.

I believe Nick is on vacation this week, so if you reached out to him by email and haven't heard back yet, I'd give him a week or so. I think he's out of pink wing but may have others.
I have not reached out to him. I've mostly just been researching options and trying to catch bugs or plan a "family camping trip". I have been meaning to shoot him a message as I would like to see what he has... and if he can even ship them here or if I'll have to smuggle them in. [Yay Florida dept. of Ag.]

green bean sticks are my favorite( d gigantea). they are meaty and beautiful. Males and females differ too, and are probably one of the longer to reproduce species(from nymph to adults to laying eggs to eggs hatching probably a year and a half or so). They take to dry/frozen/fresh leaves pretty well, mostly raspberry and oak. Some sticks have spikes they use as a defense, but the green beans do not and are fun 'pets' as well. Great for large reptiles too.

Just something to be aware of, phasmids(other than local) are all technically illegal to keep and you could have a visit to your house if they choose to. Probably unlikely, but something I didn't know of. Same goes for snails, beetles, and many others.

green bean sticks are my favorite( d gigantea). they are meaty and beautiful. Males and females differ too, and are probably one of the longer to reproduce species(from nymph to adults to laying eggs to eggs hatching probably a year and a half or so). They take to dry/frozen/fresh leaves pretty well, mostly raspberry and oak. Some sticks have spikes they use as a defense, but the green beans do not and are fun 'pets' as well. Great for large reptiles too.

Just something to be aware of, phasmids(other than local) are all technically illegal to keep and you could have a visit to your house if they choose to. Probably unlikely, but something I didn't know of. Same goes for snails, beetles, and many others.
Thanks for letting me know James, I didn't realize that sticks were a regulated species. thank you!

Back
Top Bottom