Hopper ID please

green bean sticks are my favorite( d gigantea). they are meaty and beautiful. Males and females differ too, and are probably one of the longer to reproduce species(from nymph to adults to laying eggs to eggs hatching probably a year and a half or so). They take to dry/frozen/fresh leaves pretty well, mostly raspberry and oak. Some sticks have spikes they use as a defense, but the green beans do not and are fun 'pets' as well. Great for large reptiles too.

Just something to be aware of, phasmids(other than local) are all technically illegal to keep and you could have a visit to your house if they choose to. Probably unlikely, but something I didn't know of. Same goes for snails, beetles, and many others.
I'll have to try the green beans, thanks for the tip.

Here in Fl there are tons and tons of regulation... esp when dealing with wildlife in the parks, removal of them, destruction, etc. Luckily, for the most part, most hoppers, katydids, mantids, sticks are considered "pests". They cannot be transported across state lines and some random species have some protections. My chams sit in a giant bay window at the front of my house in the "office". I've had cops on patrol stop a few times, but mostly curious minds. Always a protip to take caution when dealing with any bugs... you can easily wreck an ecosystem in your local!

I'll have to try the green beans, thanks for the tip.

Here in Fl there are tons and tons of regulation... esp when dealing with wildlife in the parks, removal of them, destruction, etc. Luckily, for the most part, most hoppers, katydids, mantids, sticks are considered "pests". They cannot be transported across state lines and some random species have some protections. My chams sit in a giant bay window at the front of my house in the "office". I've had cops on patrol stop a few times, but mostly curious minds. Always a protip to take caution when dealing with any bugs... you can easily wreck an ecosystem in your local!

Note to self - go better undercover when finding ferns in FL! Police actually patrol for stuff like that!?!

Note to self - go better undercover when finding ferns in FL! Police actually patrol for stuff like that!?!
Police? Haha, Florida has it's own "police" for wildlife. Statewide powers of a cop. Check licenses for hunting/fishing. They will HIDE in bushes at fishing spots... lol.

Edit: to their defense, pristine parks and beaches are the reason I don't pay state tax

The aussie - I believe this is the one that is more typical of people wanting pets? This is the largest of the stick bugs and develops thorn like spikes - just feed them before they get to the "giant" size i guess? Its un-scientific name is "giant spiny walking stick".
The two bigger ones are for my son to keep, the two pinks are probably going to be food. Never had sticks before, I got Roux from Randle and he always hooks me up so $5 each doesn't bug me at all. Good guy to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom