Hoping Sabine pulls through

Thanks everyone it really means so much to be able to share her and this experience with you all. We pour so much love into these creatures and not everyone understands how personable and amazing they are.

I'm so sad to share that she died. She was alive when lights went out but dead this morning when I checked on her. If I can do a necropsy I'll get that done, maybe learn something.

Even in death Sabine is so beautiful. I wish she had lived long enough for me to see her big girl colors. I am very glad to have had her in my life, she was very active and sassy in her own way and had the cutest googly eyes.

View attachment 322590
im so sorry how old was she 😥

I'm very sorry for your loss. She was a lovely little thing and I'm glad you got some time with her. I know you also wanted to do your very best for her, and I'm sure her time with you was peaceful and comfortable. A necropsy would be a good idea. It's a bit odd for one to crash out of nowhere like this. Might want to do a necropsy, as you indicate, to make sure it's not something weird or transmissible to your veiled or something. I am not a vet so far be it from me to critique the approach too heavily, but I'm a little surprised oral baytril was prescribed for such a case. It's a bit old-school and usually an injectable and less nephrotoxic broad-spectrum antibiotic like fortaz is used more these days for chameleons. There was probably little that could be done, but the etiology of this is a bit of a mystery. Again, I'm sorry for your loss. It's possible the move was stressful for her and that weakened things.

@Sonny13 I do keep lateralis for much of the year with a nighttime drop, down to 55. In the summer less so, with nighttime drops to 65-68 or so. But other keepers have kept them in Florida and they did fine reproductively, albeit did not live as long.

Again thanks so much everyone, it really means so much to have shared her with you. I think she was 9 months old - I got her in October - way too short of a life but impactful just the same. I also would love to know what happened if possible and plan to ask my vet about a necropsy. They close early on Wednesdays so I'll call first thing tomorrow. If anyone has advice on how to prepare a body for a necropsy or get one I'd love to hear it. Right now she is in a box in our fridge.

" If the necropsy will not take place for a couple of hours, the reptile should be stored in a refrigerator. Depending on your purpose of study, specimens may also be stored in a freezer for days, weeks, or months before necropsy. Avoid freezing the animal before blood or tissue analysis, however, because it compromises samples"...
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/UW382

Hi all I did pay for the necropsy ($225) and she was taken to the state lab last week. I'll share the results when they come in.

I'm pretty down in the dumps. In addition to Sabine passing, my guinea pigs started attacking each other today so I will have to re-home one of them, my roach bins are dying off due to a freak bleach pressure washing incident, and I threw out my back today. When it rains it pours.

Thankfully Yoda and my cats are thriving. Yoda's been doing better since I stopped fogging. He's finally having a decent shed.

I'm just resting and playing video games today, trying to take it easy. I would love some encouragement and perspective if you all have any to share.

Aww…I’m so very sorry for all that you’re going thru right now. I wish I had magical words that would make everything right, but if they exist, I’ve never found them. The best I can offer is This too shall pass. Those simple and cliche words have become my mantra when times have gotten tough and helped me from losing hope. ((hugs)) 💗

Aww…I’m so very sorry for all that you’re going thru right now. I wish I had magical words that would make everything right, but if they exist, I’ve never found them. The best I can offer is This too shall pass. Those simple and cliche words have become my mantra when times have gotten tough and helped me from losing hope. ((hugs)) 💗

Thank you 💗

Back
Top Bottom