Hoping Sabine pulls through

bbyoda

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi everyone. I took Sabine to Dr. Bruce at the Animal Veterinary Hospital of Orlando today because she looked frightfully ill this morning. Eyes closed, sunken in, lethargic. The only warning I had was that she didn't eat yesterday and I caught her with a raised head for a moment. I clocked that and decided to keep a close eye on her today. She's now on antibiotics, Baytril, and I'm misting her extra to make sure she stays hydrated.

A few weeks ago her eyes were distended and I was worried so I brought her in then as well. But after giving her some bee pollen with her food, that issue resolved itself and she looked totally fine for her vet visit. So not sure that's related.

The only thing I can think of is that moving to a new home was stressful for her and that allowed an infection to take root.

I'm sharing some pics of her for educational purposes. They are a bit upsetting so I'm sorry if they alarm anyone.

This morning when I first saw her eyes closed I handled her to inspect her. She was still alert and had decent coloring.
PXL_20220405_122413304.jpg

Her coloring got darker as the day went on. I called the vet for an emergency appointment.
PXL_20220405_132933625.MP.jpg

Before going to the vet I could see she was looking more skeletal and she was more lethargic.
PXL_20220405_152822505.MP.jpg

This is her after giving Baytril and popping a cricket in her mouth with the medicine.
PXL_20220405_211058342.jpg

This is her after misting her before bed. She did drink.
PXL_20220405_222937225.jpg

Poor thing looks awful and must be in so much pain. I really hope she pulls through but I am expecting she will pass given how drastically her symptoms progressed today.

So sorry for your poor little girl.
What did Dr. Bruce say about her?
What temperature is the cage at?

Thank you! Dr. Bruce said that her mouth looked OK and that her colors were very stressed and he'd give antibiotics thinking it was an infection and it would help her.

Bottom of the cage is at 70-73 and the basking is 83-85 depending on time of day.

Oh my goodness, it's almost unbelievable how quickly her situation progressed! I'm sorry you both are going through this!

O no, that´s so sad to read. Like AmadaS said, it´s absolutely unbelievable how quickly she declined, showing once again that it can go quick with them. You did so far everything you could and sometimes it´s not in our hands. Hopefully she comes through 🙏 🙏🍀 , poor little beautiful girl.

Still remember the posting, the day you got her.

Just out of curiosity; At which temps did you keep her at night?

Seconding what everyone else has said - so sorry she is going through this. 😢 I too am hoping and praying that she makes a turn around! in the event that things don’t work out that way, this isn’t your fault and you will have certainly done everything you could to get her feeling well again.

Thanks everyone it really means so much to be able to share her and this experience with you all. We pour so much love into these creatures and not everyone understands how personable and amazing they are.

I'm so sad to share that she died. She was alive when lights went out but dead this morning when I checked on her. If I can do a necropsy I'll get that done, maybe learn something.

Even in death Sabine is so beautiful. I wish she had lived long enough for me to see her big girl colors. I am very glad to have had her in my life, she was very active and sassy in her own way and had the cutest googly eyes.

PXL_20220406_113355023.jpg

O no, that´s so sad to read. Like AmadaS said, it´s absolutely unbelievable how quickly she declined, showing once again that it can go quick with them. You did so far everything you could and sometimes it´s not in our hands. Hopefully she comes through 🙏 🙏🍀 , poor little beautiful girl.

Still remember the posting, the day you got her.

Just out of curiosity; At which temps did you keep her at night?

Thank you for sharing that you remember when I got her!! It was a big day for me. Temps at night were around 69-70. I used to do a temp drop so I could fog my Veiled, but stopped with the fogging because the humidity too high and causing issues with my Veiled's shedding .

Thanks everyone it really means so much to be able to share her and this experience with you all. We pour so much love into these creatures and not everyone understands how personable and amazing they are.

I'm so sad to share that she died. She was alive when lights went out but dead this morning when I checked on her. If I can do a necropsy I'll get that done, maybe learn something.

Even in death Sabine is so beautiful. I wish she had lived long enough for me to see her big girl colors. I am very glad to have had her in my life, she was very active and sassy in her own way and had the cutest googly eyes.

View attachment 322590
Really sorry for your lost 😢
Keep her in your heart (I know you´ll), she was a gladly seen beauty at CF 💚

Thank you for sharing that you remember when I got her!! It was a big day for me. Temps at night were around 69-70. I used to do a temp drop so I could fog my Veiled, but stopped with the fogging because the humidity too high and causing issues with my Veiled's shedding .
I think I was the first that replied to the thread and was as happy as you was seeing her. She had a good life with you, that´s for sure 👏

Don´t wanna bother you with this at the moment, you got other things on your mind right know. But, I got that small gut feeling long term upper range night temps could indirectly play a part of this. I don´t know what night temps @javadi has the best results with. I know from a German keeper, that they also prefer a night time temperature drop to 65F

I’m so sorry your precious little carpet chameleon has passed. She was truly beautiful and I’m sure she will be greatly missed.

Back
Top Bottom