HOLY CRAP SO MANY EGGS

Hi guys! So after a few days of restlessness I took Moody to the vet (she is SOOO large with eggs she looks like shes full of marbles) to make sure she's on track. The vet took her x ray and OH MY GOD...I have never seen something so full of eggs (of course the picture is below for you guys) - SO - she obviously has to lay them ASAP.. my vet gave her a shot of oxytocin and a shot of calcium just for good measure. She's SUPER healthy (the vet thinks that's why her body made so many eggs), awesome grip, just an overall super healthy girl. I have a more than perfect setup/laying bin in her cage for her but shes just not keen on it! I now have her in a trash can I filled with a mix of vermiculite, dirt and sand, plenty moist for her to dig into and her kalanchoe plant she likes to nibble on. We don't have AC so I clipped a clip on fan to the top of the trash can and put her UVB bulb attached to the other side (I don't feel like she needs a basking bulb at this point because its just so hot as -is, with the fan I managed to cool the bucket down to 80 degrees (and I just gave her a good misting)

1) Should I be doing anything else?

2) How often should I spray her in there? I dont want to bother her and make her not lay..

ANY advice would be so appreciated - this is my first female and my first egg laying experience (and of course it would have been unrealistic for me to ask it to go smoothly) IMG_9604.JPG IMG_9603.JPG IMG_9601.JPG

Last edited:
Just some advice, when she starts to dig I wouldn't mist or bother her at all. I would also cover it! She may abandon it if she sees you.

Normally it take several days of several injections of oxytocin and calcium each day to get them to lay. Has your vet done this surgery successfully before? It's a very risky surgery and I only use it as a last resort. I'm hoping for the best for your girl.please keep us posted.

Wow! But if she is healthy why on earth would a vet inject her with opiates?

i think you are thinking of oxycontin - oxytocin is a natural hormone (as well as a neuropeptide and medication) that females have that speeds up delivery, they give it to both humans and animals to speed up the delivery process when things are moving slowly. :)

Normally it take several days of several injections of oxytocin and calcium each day to get them to lay. Has your vet done this surgery successfully before? It's a very risky surgery and I only use it as a last resort. I'm hoping for the best for your girl.please keep us posted.

Yes, he has done it quite a few times successfully actually and he has very good feelings about her since she's so strong - and at this point with the eggs so big and hr unable to lay them this is really my only choice, it is definitely my last resort as well but it has indeed come to this - I don't want to wait longer and just have her be weaker and bigger...no bueno.. And the oxytocin definitely shouldn't be administered more than two days in a row, if it's not doing it's job then something else is up...right? (I'm genuinely asking you lol, and I have followed your nesting blog to a T, from day one of bringing her home as a baby I've been looking and following your laying advice)

Also, so MANY positive vibes for this girl! She's been through a lot - let's ALL hope this is the last of it! hugs to both of you! :love::love::love:

THANK YOU !!!! You guys support means everything, I couldn't survive being a chameleomom without y'all !

Sometimes it helps start the digging process if you make a hole in the soil with your thumb, or something.

Been there tried that unfortunately. :(

Best of luck to you and Miss Moody. I'm really sending tons of good vibes her way! I just can't even begin to imagine how uncomfortable that must be for her to be so stuffed full of eggs. Yikes!

Alrighty guys, just got a call from the vet the surgery went well ! She's waking up now and I can pick her up in 4 hrs, SHE HAD SEVENTY SEVEN EGGS INSIDE HER.....my vet couldn't believe it... but all is well with the little girl now, just starting her road to surgery recovery ! :) THANK YOU ALL for your continued support and advice, I couldn't have done it without you !!!!!!!

Yay!!! I'm so glad the surgery went well. 77 holy moly! She is a tough little cookie. I can't wait for great updates on her. :)

The oxytocin should have been administered along with calcium multiply times a day for 3, 4 even 5 days. Here's my thread from my little veiled girl Lottie when she had to have this surgery. Lottie is still with me.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/please-keep-lottie-in-your-thoughts-and-prayers.136208/

I also had another female Parsonii chameleon have to go thought the same surgery and she did really well for two weeks post surgery and then I lost her.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/hera-parsonii-girl-having-surgery.118613/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom