Holding Cham's

SUSE

Hello all Cham nooby here! I have a question. I would LOVE too hold my vailed Chameleon in my hand. each time i attempt have him walk on my hand he turns dark and walks Briskly away from me. I don't really want too force the little guy too do something he does not want too do but I was wonder how do you guys/gals convince your chams you are not going to eat them or harm them?

Honestly , I have a jackson's and a veiled , and whereas the jackson's didn't seem to mind being handled today ( took her outside and left her crawl on our arms ) , the veiled will have no part of it . So I don't force her ... I try to get her to climb on my hand once a week and if she doesn't ( which she never does ... lol ) , so be it . Maybe someday she'll be ok with it and maybe never . It's all good :cool:

Hello all Cham nooby here! I have a question. I would LOVE too hold my vailed Chameleon in my hand. each time i attempt have him walk on my hand he turns dark and walks Briskly away from me. I don't really want too force the little guy too do something he does not want too do but I was wonder how do you guys/gals convince your chams you are not going to eat them or harm them?

First Welcome to the Forum!! This is a great place to meet other chameleon keepers and share knowledge of chameleons so you are in the right place :D
It does take time to get your chameleon to trust that you are not there to hurt them. I started by hand feeding treats that way they will see your hand and think hey that thing has treats :D it does take some time so don't get discouraged you just have to give them all the reason in the world to trust you and NO reason to not. :) Good luck and do you have any pictures you can post of him. We all love to see chameleon pics :)

I wrote this blog where I outlined in a bit of detail how I've tamed my last few panthers. It has worked for my last few chameleons (some were naturally nice so I didn't have to try very hard) so it may give you ideas: http://muchadoaboutchameleons.blogspot.com/2012/04/to-handle-or-not-to-handle.html

It doesn't always work but it doesn't hurt to try unless your chameleon is having a severe reaction to the whole ordeal. Although with enough patience and slow movement you shouldn't spook him as much.

I have two veileds and neither of them really like coming out at all on occasion they do of they a chance to bask in natural sunlight other than that and cleaning they don't really leave the cage

Back
Top Bottom