Hoax or not, you decide.

I seen animals in Avon Ohio petco that would rather be in the garbage and 107f then be in that store anymore . Being infested w mites staving ect... When they everything thy need at arms reach to care properly.

Just to add, this was my reply to the post made on another forum about this so im not trying to name and shame or point the finger, Im merely sharing this as its something to really think about. Either the guy is a dipshit and trying to frame the store, or this is really ill treatment of an animal and needs to be adressed. Anyway......

"Am I the only person who considers the fact that this would not be difficult to set up? Im not saying this is the case, but I think we need to sit on the fence a bit about this and really consider the possibility that its a hoax. Unless someone comes up with 100% irrefutable evidence of treatment like this by the said petstore, then we can only speculate and make biased judgement as reptile keepers. Think about it people....."

At petsmart the other day I saw a young Jackson chameleon on the brink of death and got furious and asked to speak with the manager. He came out to talk to me and told me he was just tired and taking a nap... I informed him of my extensive experience with the animals and inquired about some of their husbandry techniques and here's a short list of things wrong..
1. No UVB
2. 101 temps in a 6" by 6" glass cube.
3. No drip system or mister, they had a nasty water bowl with a bubble stone in it..
4. Extremely fine substrate that the poor guy was covered in..

When I asked about supplementation he informed me that they are required to dust with calcium with d3 daily! I informed them about the extreme dangers of this and that their store policy was most likely why they lost every chameleon they had within 2 weeks to over supplementation. He just looked at me and said look I know what I'm doing I have 2 beardies at home! He then told me that the Jackson was actually getting better from when they first got him.... LIE! I go there several times a week for animal supplies and the Jackson was just fie when they got him in, wish I didn't have to rely on them for anything..:mad:

At petsmart the other day I saw a young Jackson chameleon on the brink of death and got furious and asked to speak with the manager. He came out to talk to me and told me he was just tired and taking a nap... I informed him of my extensive experience with the animals and inquired about some of their husbandry techniques and here's a short list of things wrong..
1. No UVB
2. 101 temps in a 6" by 6" glass cube.
3. No drip system or mister, they had a nasty water bowl with a bubble stone in it..
4. Extremely fine substrate that the poor guy was covered in..

When I asked about supplementation he informed me that they are required to dust with calcium with d3 daily! I informed them about the extreme dangers of this and that their store policy was most likely why they lost every chameleon they had within 2 weeks to over supplementation. He just looked at me and said look I know what I'm doing I have 2 beardies at home! He then told me that the Jackson was actually getting better from when they first got him.... LIE! I go there several times a week for animal supplies and the Jackson was just fie when they got him in, wish I didn't have to rely on them for anything..:mad:

Wow, some of the stuff I hear on here about pet shops is terrible, some of the pet shops near me are bad but in the uk there is a genaral understanding that chameleons are not a easy rep to care for so all stay away from them, I don't agree with that but it seems it's better thinks that than taking there care for granted

Just to add, this was my reply to the post made on another forum about this so im not trying to name and shame or point the finger, Im merely sharing this as its something to really think about. Either the guy is a dipshit and trying to frame the store, or this is really ill treatment of an animal and needs to be adressed. Anyway......

"Am I the only person who considers the fact that this would not be difficult to set up? Im not saying this is the case, but I think we need to sit on the fence a bit about this and really consider the possibility that its a hoax. Unless someone comes up with 100% irrefutable evidence of treatment like this by the said petstore, then we can only speculate and make biased judgement as reptile keepers. Think about it people....."
I agree and if he truly cared he wouldn't have been throwing them back in there and leaving them rapped up in the mesh. Get the footage and and put them in a suttable tank is what I would've done. But we could always go look through the trash ourselves.. why would they throw money away too doesn't make sense.

You can, and should call animal control on that petsmart. We've had them come and check on our animals twice before. (Granted both times was unwarranted but I'm glad that if something was wrong it would have been addressed by the authorities.)

I have to say...if I were digging in the trash at PetCo and came across an iguana in a bag like that, I would immediately get it OUT of the bag! I certainly wouldn't put it back, put a few boxes on top of the box he is already in, then run and get my video camera! It doesn't seem to me that any animal lover(as he claims to be) would think that way. It seems like they would get it out and safe before getting the camcorder. :rolleyes:

One thing I find funny is that many are quick to talk about the brutal care and death of animals IN THE STORE for PROFIT, so why would this store toss out and animals that is looking healthy and still PROFITABLE!!
I smell scam...
and I too did not like the way the iguana was handles afer the discovery, def not how I would have reacted ( leaving it in the sac and tossing it around and reburing it )
Just my 2 cents

It's always the same people defending questionable practices ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have seen this happen in 3 pet stores I am close with where I live, one of them it happens regularly. Though they are a little smarter not to throw them in the trash, they flush animals or simply toss em in the freezer even if they can be saved or are healthy and just sat around the store too long.

This could be a hoax, I don't think it is because I have seen similar instances first hand. Every animal is a write off, or if it '''''dies''''' it is a credit for future purchases with the supplier. If it's been sitting around for too long, why have it at all? That space could be used for something else that can gain more profits. (I disagree with this practice, but it's what happens in most pet stores...not just with herps).

The attitude of the owners and managers & 99% of employees of pet stores is all business and 100% of the 1-2 dozen pet store owners I have ever met, even reptile specialty ones, are idiots.

This video does not surprise me at all and I am more surprised people are just so 'diplomatic' and think it couldn't be real.

i live about an hour away from that petco. ive seen iguanas that size in the store, but to throw out a very active and very much alive one.... idk. not enough evidence to say whos in the wrong

ermmm.... some things going on in the video seems to be fishy... i would probably also call it a scam or out of the blues, they could have been careless with the little one..

well.. since everyone here were talking about how pet stores treat them babies... yeah... i know what u guys mean... i am a student studying in Bangkok.. n currently i own a panther n a tarantula.. i got both of them from a pretty good looking pet store called Exotic Life.. but the other shops there were just depressing... TT ... seriously!! :/

anyone ever been around the pet store areas in Bkk?? it was literally in the news that some pet stores selling rabbits had some kind of disease in them which made them go crazy..

i live about an hour away from that petco. ive seen iguanas that size in the store, but to throw out a very active and very much alive one.... idk. not enough evidence to say whos in the wrong

Exactly, that was a youge healty looking iguana, They often come it at that size so saying it has been sitting is wrong IMO.
I still dont advocate for big pet stores, but Im on the fence with this one.

It's always the same people defending questionable practices ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have seen this happen in 3 pet stores I am close with where I live, one of them it happens regularly. Though they are a little smarter not to throw them in the trash, they flush animals or simply toss em in the freezer even if they can be saved or are healthy and just sat around the store too long.

This could be a hoax, I don't think it is because I have seen similar instances first hand. Every animal is a write off, or if it '''''dies''''' it is a credit for future purchases with the supplier. If it's been sitting around for too long, why have it at all? That space could be used for something else that can gain more profits. (I disagree with this practice, but it's what happens in most pet stores...not just with herps).

The attitude of the owners and managers & 99% of employees of pet stores is all business and 100% of the 1-2 dozen pet store owners I have ever met, even reptile specialty ones, are idiots.

This video does not surprise me at all and I am more surprised people are just so 'diplomatic' and think it couldn't be real.

You pointing those arrows at me????

Back
Top Bottom