Hi i'm new

pennyz

just wanted to say hi,

thought it was about time i joined an expert forum of some sort as i'm not very confident with my veild chams...

basically i was 'given' 2 deformed veiled's from a pet shop owner i was dating....

ive since moved them out of the mesh shack they were in and re homed them into a glass one... although i know this is contraversial?/

they seemed happy as i caught them mating the following morning...
didnt think they were old enough....

i know they need to be kept apart and im not sure what to do about that...

anyone what female? named esmirelda as she has a slight hunch back
im more attached to the male... named quasimodo as he has a deformed jaw and as such has to be hand fed by me to keep him alive.... he wont use his tongue so would starve to death.....

im always needing advice so i hope you guys are a friendly bunch! :)

just thought id say hi for anyway x

thanks guys, nice to know

want to do the best i can for my little additions....

is everyone from america? im in the uk.....

You need to separate them if they are mating and already had health issues when they mated.

The female is likely producing eggs now which will put even more strain on her.

Can you post some photos please? If they are deformed it could be that they have MBD and it will need to be corrected ASAP...unless its already been dealt with. They will, of course, need proper husbandry to keep them back on track once they are there.

Here's some information you might find helpful......
Exposure to proper UVB, appropriate temperatures, supplements, a supply of well-fed/gutloaded insects, water and an appropriate cage set-up are all important for the well-being of your chameleon.

Appropriate cage temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part indirectly in nutrient absorption.

Exposure to UVB from either direct sunlight or a proper UVB light allows the chameleon to produce D3 so that it can use the calcium in its system to make/keep the bones strong and be used in other systems in the chameleon as well. The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic no matter whether its from the sun or the UVB light. The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 tube light. Some of the compacts, spirals and tube lights have caused health issues, but so far there have been no bad reports against this one.

Since many of the feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus in them, its important to dust the insects before you feed them to the chameleon with a phos.-free calcium powder to help make up for it. (I use Rep-cal phosphorus-free calcium).

If you dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder it will ensure that your chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. It leaves the chameleon to produce the rest of what it needs through its exposure to the UVB light. D3 from supplements can build up in the system but D3 produced from exposure to UVB shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it. (I use Rep-cal phos.-free calcium/D3).

Dusting twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without the danger of overdosing the vitamin A. PrEformed sources of vitamin A can build up in the system and may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD. However, there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene and so some people give some prEformed vitamin A once in a while. (I use herptivite.)

Gutloading/feeding the insects well helps to provide what the chameleon needs. I gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms, etc. with an assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.)

Calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are important players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon (muscles, etc.) and they need to be in balance. When trying to balance them, you need to look at the supplements, what you feed the insects and what you feed the chameleon.

Here are some good sites for you to read...
http://chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200605020...Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200604210...d.Calcium.html
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/200601140...ww.adcham.com/

wow thanks... will do my best to get through all that.......

i'll try and get some close up shots of them both tomorrow

do you really think they need to see a vet? i was told they were born defomed... thought it might not be a present health issue

feel bad now!

Hi and welcome :D
I am from the UK as are a few others on here so you`re not alone. I totally agree about a vet visit though. Even just to set your mind at rest that they are as healthy as they can be. Don`t feel bad, it was nice of you to take them on given their problems and i`m sure they are thankful in their own little quirky way :)

I've seen/heard of the odd hatchling having a curved spine when it hatched. IMHO it could be an incubation problem...but it could also be a nutritional issue. I've never seen one hatched with a deformed jaw...but who knows? Its the lack of tongue use that would make me wonder about whether it was born with it or not. Can you talk to the person who gave them to you about it?

ive tried contacting him but he never replies... says he'll take them back but that was 2 months ago and my little boys and i are a bit attached now so looks like they are going to become a rather expensive free gift lol..

have taken some good pics of them... whats the best way to upload them onto here?

piccies

hoping this works... here are the pics you wanted of my 2

he has a jaw that doesnt close properly his right hand side lower jaw sticks out as you may be able to get a mini view of on his pic..

she on the other hand had a bump/hunch back thing going on in the middle of her spine... just above her third yellow stripe

anyone know what her colours mean??

Attachments

• chameleons 007.jpg
    chameleons 007.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 205
  • chameleons 005.jpg
    chameleons 005.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 183
  • chameleons 003.jpg
    chameleons 003.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 205
Its quite possible the female's crooked back is from an incubation problem...not sure about the male except that he has no signs of MBD on his arms or anything. Can you post another picture of the male please? Female is showing gravid/non-receptive coloration...so get ready for eggs.

hi guys thanks for looking at the pics.. will try and get a full frontal jaw shot of quazimodo

as for her... she's looked that 'fat' for a couple of months... only spotted them mating 2 weeks ago....

could she have stuck unfertilised eggs? arggghhhhhh

wierdly enough she os presently say on the floor of the viv 'panting' a bit and har eyes look sunken abd she is being brown today

my god what have i taken on! i dont know what to with eggs!!!

i can breed cats lol chameleons oh dear god!!

i have no sand pit thing sorted....

is she about to lay or die???

sorry must attempt to not panic!

any chance that one of you guys lives in surrey!!!!! help

just to add.... she's still sat under a branch on the viv floor and he is doing the classic chameleon moon walk past her up and down a neighbouring branch......

most unlike them... could they be thinking of doing the deed again?? im sure i read this is what the make does to 'woo' her?

I think you need to prepare for eggs and I think you need to get them separate. It's very likely she won't lay with the male in the same enclosure. You'd like to think it's inevitable that the eggs will be laid, but it's not and if she refuses to lay it's going to be unpleasant.

Can you move him back into the "mesh shed" until you can arrange something better?

i threw the mesh shed out... it has such big holes in it i had a house full of oversized bloody noisy crickets!

i wouldnt have had a spare set of lights either....

oh god...

Can you cobble something together for the moment? He can go a day or two without the UVB light if necessary and you can use a regular household incandescent for heat.

She really seems like your more immediate problem and getting the male out of sight is very important.

nothing i can think of.....

the guy that gave me them really should have known better i'm quite annoyed with him... his pet shop has loads of viv's and he's half an hour away... grrr

Back
Top Bottom