Hi i'm new

Been looking for a viv available close to you...hmmm...it's not knowing what news you come back from the vet with.....but it's not beyond the realms of possibility you cant get hold of a viv and move the male into it temporarily. Either put out a cry of mercy or even buy a cheapy....I have been looking and found a few cheap vivs quite close to you. Yes they'll need a clean, no matter how clean they are but it will get the pair seperated so she can concentrate on her job in hand....

That off course is if the main viv is big enough to house the laying bin. It'd be warm and she's used to it and can be covered for total isolation that she needs.

BUT......we wait to hear news

oh clair how lovely are you!!! thank you

i took them both in.. male is fine.. we scanned the female (for free so my vet could learn on the job!) we could make out eggs we think..... but she was in such a bad state... literally lying on her back eyes just not moving... so we thought it would take a bit of a miracle to save her..... could of tried oxytocin but she just wouldnt have had the strength to push them out.....

although i was saving these 2 as a favour so to speak... i feel bad that i didnt read up more about them first.... was busy sorting out food/ viv/ temps/ plants etc... just never thought about reptiles laying without breeding! and at a young age... didnt understand the behaviour i was seeing...
we shall continue to hand feed the boy and enjoy him!

thank you for advice everyone, bad outcome but it all helped! xxx

donnak0125 said..."I was told by senior members that: females will often not lay their eggs while being watched (important tip!). Kinda strange they want privacy"...why does it seem strange? In the wild if they laid the eggs while being watched they would likely "feel" that it wasn't safe to lay them...whatever was watching them lay them could either dig the eggs up after and eat them or even attack the chameleon.

Sorry for your loss pennyz.

donnak0125 said..."I was told by senior members that: females will often not lay their eggs while being watched (important tip!). Kinda strange they want privacy"...why does it seem strange? In the wild if they laid the eggs while being watched they would likely "feel" that it wasn't safe to lay them...whatever was watching them lay them could either dig the eggs up after and eat them or even attack the chameleon.

Sorry for your loss pennyz.

That makes sense; they probably think we'll eat their eggs. :eek: It's tough being a chameleon...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
aaaw poor little girl I am sorry Penny. :( It was probably the kindest thing for her if she was in such a bad way. Your vet sounds very nice perhaps you can both learn together with the little boy. I hope you have many happy years together.

thanks guys,
i must say i think chameleons are greatly helped by sites like this...
it does seem to me they arent an ideal pet unless your a bit of an expert...even the pet shop staff arent as knowledgable as you guys... and they ought to be to be selling joe bloggs a chameleon!!

me and the boy shall be ok i hope!

thanks again for your help and advice xxx

Back
Top Bottom