Hi i'm new

You said..."she os presently say on the floor of the viv 'panting' a bit and har eyes look sunken abd she is being brown today"...I would get her to a vet right away. She's in trouble. Could be eggbinding...could be stress from the male being there...could be both. Can't be sure....but they go down hill really fast.

You said you haven't set up a container for her to dig in...sure way to cause eggbinding if she has been needing to lay eggs.

With her colors I doubt that she is thinking of mating again and he should know that from her colors too.

They need to be separated asap.

hi

i am also new to the forums and recently bought m first chameleon which is a panther. I am having a little trouble posting because i do not know how to start a new tread thanks for your help:)

Welcome to the forum thepanther17!

Go to this page and pick the forum you want to post under and click on it. At the top left you will see a blue button that says "new thread"...click on it and post.

hi guys,

just got back in from work (im a teacher) and its my birthday so i went out for dinner...
hence being back late..
she's still on the floor being brown and not eating...... he is up hi eating everythign i give him...
i cant really get jher to the vet till fri or ....sat ... doesnt sound like i have that much time?

how does one safely transport a cham to a vet

also may be a silly question but whats the best way of doing the sand tray.... i have no sand either!

christ this is a bit of a mess!
I really have tried to help these 2 but feel ive failed them....

thanks again for your help.. its nice to know there are people who can give me proper advice!
oh and excuse the terrible spelling!

ok ive got a container and some plaqy sand making its way over to my flat as we speak.... i dont however have anywhere safe for her to lay without her wandering off...

wish i hadnt thrown that mesh one away....

also should she lay within a day?
if she doesnt... does that mean vets asap?
ive got feeling she has been gravid for about 2 months......... i didnt realise at the time... just thought she was fat.. if thats the case her eggs will surely be rotten by now now wont they?

ok ive got a container and some plaqy sand making its way over to my flat as we speak.... i dont however have anywhere safe for her to lay without her wandering off...

wish i hadnt thrown that mesh one away....

also should she lay within a day?
if she doesnt... does that mean vets asap?
ive got feeling she has been gravid for about 2 months......... i didnt realise at the time... just thought she was fat.. if thats the case her eggs will surely be rotten by now now wont they?

ok the little dear has been sat in a 12 inch deep toy container in the shower cubicle of my ensuit for 3 hours...... and no sign of any kind of digging... scraping.... moving.....etc

calling round alsorts of vets and none of them deal with reptile.... oh joy

im convinced she must be eggbound as i saw what i now knoew were eggs abover her hind legs.... this was im sure about 2 months ago..
its only in the last 2 days she's been near the bottom of the viv and only the last week she's displayed htose colours.. since mating a week ago...
one person i sopke t said even if she was gravid and they were infertile she would still mate if she felt like it... as they can store sperm....

ive managed to get a day off work today as my kids are ill but i wont be able to see a vet till sat...

should i just think aout euthenasia...... how likely is it that she can survive being eggbound?
(she has a hunch back so dont want this problem to keep happening)

anyone able to offer more advice? sorry to be a pain

Hi again Penny,
Try not to panic - i know it is really upsetting to see her in distress, but do persist with the laying bin and try get her to the vet as soon as heavenly possibly. If I recall correctly you are in Surrey, right ? I found this vet that hopefully will be of use to you

Stocton Veterinary Centre
Stocton Close
Woodbridge Rd
Guildford
Surrey GU1 1HR

01483 575155 (24 Hours)
01483 561255
Fax 01483 534674
Email: [email protected]

hi sally,
ive had one vet in raynes park call me back.. he says that she needs heat in the sand box too.. but i ant fit it in my viv..... and have no plugs in my shower... nowhere else in my flat is safe from 2 cats and 2 toddlers!!

i cant aford the £400 quote for surgery so i think i may have to get her put to sleep today....
im sure her eggs cant be in any fit state after 2 months?
and because i think she has MBD she will keep having this problem..

what do you think?

Wow £400 is a lot - my cham was egg bound and it was extremely advanced, but the vet we chose charged me roughly £200 for surgery and then obviously the after care can be costly, but at least that would be a visit to visit cost. If she was speyed during the op it should eliminate the risk of this happening again.

To be honest though I would want to find out first why she has the deformity and the effect it will have on her future. I am so sorry that you cannot afford the bills, it is a big expense and if i could take her myself I would, gladly, but my little girl is just recovering and I don`t think i could cope with two poorly girls right now. Ultimately you can only make a decision based on your circumstances and what you feel is best. Please let me know how you go with her.

thanks sally,
my local lovely vet called dallas has agreed to slot me in tonight at 8 oclock so im going to bring them both in to see her and see what she thinks.... at least then i'll know whats what... she's no expert but used to keep water dragons!

finally got in touch with the ex via his pet shop and he's very surprised that she's egg bound already..... vet says she'll scan her so i'll wait till 8.

its a steep learning curve!!!
i'll try and post later xx

Good luck - I really hope there is a positive outcome for you both. I have my fingers crossed. :)

thanks sally,
my local lovely vet called dallas has agreed to slot me in tonight at 8 oclock so im going to bring them both in to see her and see what she thinks.... at least then i'll know whats what... she's no expert but used to keep water dragons!

finally got in touch with the ex via his pet shop and he's very surprised that she's egg bound already..... vet says she'll scan her so i'll wait till 8.

its a steep learning curve!!!
i'll try and post later xx

I didn't read all the posts, but I was told by senior members that: females will often not lay their eggs while being watched (important tip!). Kinda strange they want privacy...
;)

clairf i live in hooley its inbetween redhill and purley/croydon

donna i've read that too... i left her for 3 hours had a very carefull peak and again 3 hours later and she hadnt moved once...
far too weak i think.....
i moved her back into the viv to warm up and agian she hasnt moved in 4 hours... just about to leave for the vet

Guess it's probably too late but you could see if a pillow case fits over the container of sand and secure it so she couldn't crawl out. I don't think the eggs inside a egg-bound female will go bad as much as the problem being she'd get ill from not defecating, eating and a whole host of problems that go along with "not laying the eggs". If she does lay them, once you put her in her cage you don't have to keep the eggs. You can destroy them if you are not interested in making babies. Since she has a deformity it might not be good to have her as a breeding female. Good luck to you and you chams!

Back
Top Bottom