Hi I need help please

These are great questions, @Nico Noel. Glad to have you on the forums!

Another feeder option is BSFL (black soldier fly larvae). Much better as a daily staple than crickets, and they don't die quite as easily. Plus if you let them sit for a few weeks, they'll pupate into flies as a fun treat for your cham. Of course, you'll want to feed him many different bugs regularly. You can still feed him gutloaded crickets, silkworms, roaches, etc.

I've ordered BSFL (QTY 250) from these sites with no issues:
CritterDepot
JoshsFrogs

I'd start ordering your bugs online. Cheaper and you get better, healthier stock that don't die right away.

P.S. Petco has a great exchange policy but their crickets suck
BSFL are not good staples because of they dont hold any gutload?

BSFL are not good staples because of they dont hold any gutload?
Many resources cite BSFL as a good staple. Of course they’re also trying to sell them...Anyway BSFL have a higher Ca : P ratio, are inherently nutritious, better ease of care, and are less likely to die off vs. crickets. No need to dust or gut load. Crickets however have to be gut loaded and dusted...they escape easily, die off quickly, they smell, but they’re inexpensive and easy to buy. I’m comparing them because it sounded like OP was looking for an alternative to crickets.

As staple I feed my cham both.

https://reptilesupply.com/collections/nutrigrubs-for-sale

What wattage for the basking light again? I know up to 100 but he's so small I feel like I should get 50watt? I've also ordered the UVB linear light :) yay! Fed him lots of baby crickets last night dusted with D3. He seems quite happy today...

Many resources cite BSFL as a good staple. Of course they’re also trying to sell them...Anyway BSFL have a higher Ca : P ratio, are inherently nutritious, better ease of care, and are less likely to die off vs. crickets. No need to dust or gut load. Crickets however have to be gut loaded and dusted...they escape easily, die off quickly, they smell, but they’re inexpensive and easy to buy. I’m comparing them because it sounded like OP was looking for an alternative to crickets.

As staple I feed my cham both.

https://reptilesupply.com/collections/nutrigrubs-for-sale

@PabloTheCham has a point, BSFL's only plus really is that they have a higher calcium to phosphorus ratio. This doesn't make them anymore nutritious than anything else, it just means their mineral content is in line with what reptiles need as far as minerals go. Gutloading is more about vitamins and other micronutrients, one may be able to argue what is all necessary regarding gutloading, but overall it is recommended on these forums and really any forum/community for reptiles. BSFL will eat mostly anything soft enough, but worms/maggots don't hold much at all in comparison to cricket/roaches. Bsfl are also hard to digest if they aren't thoroughly chewed or cut open prior.

Don't get me wrong...Just like with silkworms, they can and do make an excellent addition to a daily diet. The issue comes when people confuse them for being a complete replacement to crickets/roaches, which are incomparably better for being gutloaded. They are said to not need gutloaded either to A)make sales B)already assuming you have crickets/roaches as part of the diet. The only thing that can really replace gutloading is offering a massive variety of insects(like doing a field sweep).

Last edited:
They are said to not need gutloaded either to A)make sales B)already assuming you have crickets/roaches as part of the diet. The only thing that can really replace gutloading is offering a massive variety of insects(like doing a field sweep).

Good callout. Thanks @PabloTheCham for catching my post and correcting it, @jamest0o0 and @Beman for weighing in. @Nico Noel if you have any bug related questions, @jamest0o0 is one of our local experts!

Hi I’m new here and have not figured out how to start a new question only how to comment or reply ... I have a question about my chameleon and since the current author of this post is new to chameleons I thought I’d ask here so if she comes across the same issue she will have her question already answered hope thats ok ... my chameleon about every few days gets like a medium shade of brownish purple more brownish tho ... he eats great very active comes to me when I open his cage has all the right enclosure needs met vitamins calcium everything I’ve researched and it said needed I have like two for back up haha but I don’t know why he keeps getting brownish ... somethings say he is sick but he doesn’t seem to be some say it’s him soaking up his heat ... it is upsetting that I can’t figure out if what I’m doing is making him unhappy or unhealthy as I’m doing everything I know I can ... thanks in advance ?

Hi I’m new here and have not figured out how to start a new question only how to comment or reply ... I have a question about my chameleon and since the current author of this post is new to chameleons I thought I’d ask here so if she comes across the same issue she will have her question already answered hope thats ok ... my chameleon about every few days gets like a medium shade of brownish purple more brownish tho ... he eats great very active comes to me when I open his cage has all the right enclosure needs met vitamins calcium everything I’ve researched and it said needed I have like two for back up haha but I don’t know why he keeps getting brownish ... somethings say he is sick but he doesn’t seem to be some say it’s him soaking up his heat ... it is upsetting that I can’t figure out if what I’m doing is making him unhappy or unhealthy as I’m doing everything I know I can ... thanks in advance ?
Go here please https://www.chameleonforums.com/forums/general-discussion.6/
Click post thread and start your own. We try to keep posters separate so that the information given to one is specific to their needs.

If your on mobile it'll be here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200813-154324~2.png
    Screenshot_20200813-154324~2.png
    189 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom