Hi I need help please

Nico Noel

I got this little guy 3 weeks ago (just had to rescue him from the Petco I was at....he was in a cage with 5 other chams and looked so sad) and despite the gentleman telling me I had EVERYTHING I could possibly need for my baby chameleon, I'm not convinced. The more I research, the more I feel like I'm ill-equipped and I want to take the best care of him possible. Could someone PLEASE take a look at my enclosure and the little guy to tell me what I can/should be doing differently? There's no way I'm nailing this I just know it and I'd feel a lot more confident if I had someone whose more familiar give it a once-over. Thank you so much and any positive/constructive feedback is greatly appreciated!

*Filling out the chameleon/enclosure form right now and will post once complete*

I'm going to take some more w/the light off. He looks much darker than he truly is; lots of shadows. Anything else, in particular, I can take a picture of while I'm at it that would be helpful?

*I've just now read no moss so I'll be removing that on my lunch break :/

Attachments

• Chameleo 1.JPG
    Chameleo 1.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 108
  • C2.JPG
    C2.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 137
  • C3.JPG
    C3.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 95
  • C4.JPG
    C4.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 103
  • C5.JPG
    C5.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 90
  • C6.JPG
    C6.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 139
  • C7.JPG
    C7.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 123
  • C8.JPG
    C8.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 88
I'm going to take some more w/the light off. He looks much darker than he truly is; lots of shadows. Anything else, in particular, I can take a picture of while I'm at it that would be helpful?

*I've just now read no moss so I'll be removing that on my lunch break :/
Ok hun. So they sold you the totally wrong stuff. You have tons of corrections to make. When you get your help form completed be detailed so we know exactly what your working with.

Just looking at the pics... Lighting is wrong. Cage set up is wrong. Baby is thin. make sure your not feeding mealworms or dead feeders. Needs lots of crickets at least 15 a day. All moss needs to go... If that is wood chips in the bottom it needs to go. Screen cages are much easier to work with for new keepers rather then glass.

Petco will allow returns of items if you have the receipt. I would return that cage and buy a screen one.

For accurate info you should start reading through this husbandry program. Then ask questions here. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Well off the bat i see you should have WAY more branches for him/her to climb. He should have multiple options to help thermo regulate. What kind of uvb? I only see a dome with what looks like a basking bulb. What are you doing for hydration? Just hand misting???

Oh my goodness this is what I was afraid of! Is he going to be okay? Not acting strange, eating/drinking but not noticing poop....Do I need to get him to a vet or can I fix this??

I'm going to the store on my lunch break; what are a few things I need to get ASAP? What do I use instead of the moss at the bottom? Also I read no fake branches-what would you recommend I get for him to climb on? I bought a hammock/net for him to lay on but it doesn't fit in the cage :(

I'm misting by hand 3-4 times a day just depending on what he seems to need. He will usually come to the opening of the cage and sit there and open his little mouth a few times to catch some of the mist. He's very active and loves to hunt-just doesn't seem to eat more than 3-4 baby crickets/day. I feel awful! I want to give him better care than this....but cannot spend another small fortune. Please let me know what I could get him at lunch break to help just for now at least....like food-wise, what other than crickets to fatten him up?

I REALLY appreciate the help and non-judgement; I'm trying here.....poor little guy prob hates me

It is a UVB 50 bulb; i was told I didn't need a basking bulb or one for night time. I'm going to get him tons of crickets and a multi-vitamin as well as some more foliage for his cage. When I'm back what do I put in place of the moss on the bottom of the cage?? Also, is hand misting okay if I'm seeing him drink, or do I NEED a mister? The humidity level looks okay but it's not hot enough; around 70 degrees according to the cheapo thermometer this set came with. Shame on that salesman at Petco; he said he was a reptile expert. :(

When I'm back what do I put in place of the moss on the bottom of the cage??
Nothing. The floor should be bare for now. The reason we don't want anything on the bottom is so the moss doesn't get ingested. It can also mold and cause respiratory infections.
Also, is hand misting okay if I'm seeing him drink, or do I NEED a mister?
You can hand mist, an automatic is just for the convenience of not having to remember to mist.
It is a UVB 50 bulb; i was told I didn't need a basking bulb or one for night time.
The cham will definitely need a basking bulb and a different linear uvb bulb for the new enclosure. However the petco worker was right, you shouldn't have any lighting on at night.

Thank you; I'm off now and will upload the form once I get him fed and cage cleaned out.....do you think he'll be okay??

We all learn the hard way or do lots of research in the beginning. No glass cages. Only T5 linear UVB fixtures. Lots of branches. Heat lamp is good. I just posted my huge new cage for my growing male veil. It seams huge but it is Reptibreeze XL.

I'm going to get him tons of crickets and a multi-vitamin as well as some more foliage for his cage.
Make sure the crickets are appropriately sized, and buying bulk helps with the costs ?
You will need to buy a calcium without d3 supplement, a calcium with d3 supplement along with the vitamin supplement.

It is a UVB 50 bulb; i was told I didn't need a basking bulb or one for night time. I'm going to get him tons of crickets and a multi-vitamin as well as some more foliage for his cage. When I'm back what do I put in place of the moss on the bottom of the cage?? Also, is hand misting okay if I'm seeing him drink, or do I NEED a mister? The humidity level looks okay but it's not hot enough; around 70 degrees according to the cheapo thermometer this set came with. Shame on that salesman at Petco; he said he was a reptile expert. :(
Ok so you will need the correct uvb to start off. A T5 HO 5.0 linear uvb bulb or a T8 10.0 uvb bulb should be purchased ASAP.

in addition to the multivitamin you will need calcium WITHOUT d3. And calcium WITH d3.
Cage should be bare at the bottom.

hand misting is fine. As long as you mist enough for droplets to get on the leaves a couple times a day he will be good for water. You will prob need to mopup water that collects at the bottom though, as glass tanks don’t really have a great drainage system.

Oh my goodness this is what I was afraid of! Is he going to be okay? Not acting strange, eating/drinking but not noticing poop....Do I need to get him to a vet or can I fix this??

I'm going to the store on my lunch break; what are a few things I need to get ASAP? What do I use instead of the moss at the bottom? Also I read no fake branches-what would you recommend I get for him to climb on? I bought a hammock/net for him to lay on but it doesn't fit in the cage :(
I have attached some things you will need right away but when you get a chance you should check to see if you have a male or female because they have slightly different care

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200831-133730_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200831-133730_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20200831-133550_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200831-133550_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20200831-133326_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200831-133326_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom