Hi I’m new here and I have a Jackson’s chameleon

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I used to keep Jackson’s 20 years ago and now I’m back. Just got another Jackson’s and looking around this site for new info. Things have really changed a lot in the last 20 years!

Welcome back. Trying to more closely match their natural environment as closely as possible has become the new standard of care. What did you get and do you have any pictures?

Welcome back. Trying to more closely match their natural environment as closely as possible has become the new standard of care. What did you get and do you have any pictures?
No pictures yet. I got a Jackson’s chameleon. I’m having a lot of trouble trying to find uvb bulbs and hood

How long have you had him/her without UVB? Have you been taking him/her outside in the meantime?

How long have you had him/her without UVB? Have you been taking him/her outside in the meantime?
I stupidly bought the zoo med chameleon kit which comes with the reptisun 5.0 compact uvb lamp. I just found out that its not effective because the uvb light doesn’t penetrate into the cage very far. So frustrating! Where can I find the reptisun TH50 5.0 22 inch bulb and the light fixture it goes in? No one in my town has it.

I have a lot of silk plants in there and some reptile vine I bought at the pet store that I just found out can harbor bacteria so that will have to come out. I went outside and got some tree branches I plan to wash and let dry then put in his cage. I don’t know how old he is but he’s a Jackson’s chameleon. Here are a couple pictures. Sorry my grand daughters picture is peeking through! I still need to take down the picture off the wall.

Attachments

• 625F5DCF-0DD0-48F2-A359-DAD89E11B507.jpeg
    625F5DCF-0DD0-48F2-A359-DAD89E11B507.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 50028B06-FE9F-4A31-A8A7-85F71DFBBC93.jpeg
    50028B06-FE9F-4A31-A8A7-85F71DFBBC93.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 44
If you can't find it in a local pet store, you'll either have to make a drive or order it online. You can make the kit work for you in the meantime, here's a link to it:
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleonkit/
For brands of T5 HO UVB bulbs, you have two options, either an Arcadia 6% or Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0. The length you want to buy of the fixture and bulb really depends on what the length is of the largest cage your chameleon will be in. For a jacksons, the bare minimum for a full grown one is 2'x2'x4' tall, but the recommended cage size is 4'x2'x4' tall or as big as you can get. Sadly, a lot of places are out of stock right now. Here's a cheap online 2' option (Arcadia bulbs and fixtures are usually cheaper than Zoo Med bulbs and fixtures, but both brands of replacement bulbs are the same price. Buying a fixture separate from a bulb is usually more expensive than buying an Arcadia bulb and fixture together, as well):
https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-24-with-bulb/ (choose the 6% option)

Last edited:
Also, once the bulb and fixture come in, you'll want the bulb to be 8-9" away from his basking branch for a basking UVI level of 3 (if you don't have a Solarmeter 6.5 to check it)

Okay, so I changed his cage up some. I took out the spongy fake vine and added in some natural branches from outside that I washed and dried in the sun. I want to eventually get a live ficus bush for in there as well. I ordered the Arcadia light fixture and the 6 percent T5 HO UVB bulb for his cage. Next on the list I guess will be a bigger cage for him. I don’t know how old he is but might as well upgrade now.

Here are pictures!

Attachments

• F66CF7E5-8F76-4435-9C77-2020F3F8C2F4.jpeg
    F66CF7E5-8F76-4435-9C77-2020F3F8C2F4.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 54
  • E23EC600-E122-47C2-BF13-E76888D8351C.jpeg
    E23EC600-E122-47C2-BF13-E76888D8351C.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 43
Search online Light Your Reptiles and some of the site sponsors carry what you need. You will have to have it shipped most likely.

Search online Light Your Reptiles and some of the site sponsors carry what you need. You will have to have it shipped most likely.
Thank you, I already ordered the Arcadia T5 HO 6% 24 inch linear bulb and the fixture it goes in from a link erklerose gave me so I should have it in a few days I hope. Meanwhile I’m using the UVB compact light bulb and fixture that came with the cage I bought.

I just sit my linear UVB on the screen top and position the top branches in the cage accordingly, 6-8 inches below the screen. The basking bulb I use bent wire to angle it ~30 degrees to create an oval of varying heat rather than a small circle of concentrated heat. My basking lights are not on all day but rather 2-3 hours in the morning an hour after the UVB is on and on and off thru the rest of the day, going off an hour before the UVB.

Back
Top Bottom