Herp Database Software

Dyesub Dave

Hey Everybody,

Can anyone suggest good management / database software for herps? I've done a bit of searching and found that most of the ones that apparently used to be great are no longer available.

I did find one called Metzcal that seems very thorough but also fairly complicated. Does anybody else use software to keep track of their herps care and sales etc. If so which one do you use?

Thanks ... Dyesub Dave. :D

whoa! thats pretty cool. i never even thought about somthing like that. i would give it a try. but it's for windows machines. great now you've got me interested. i'll have to look for a mac application now

Hey, I went to that site and coudlnt figure it out. Do you download the program or just access it from the site as needed? I downloaded like the directions or somethin. But sounds much easier than the paper and pen i use now.

Hey ... the very top download on this page is the actual program!!

http://www.metzcal.com/downloadcenter.php?rub=downloadcenter#installers

One very cool thing that I found about this software is it gives you a map of the world and as you click on different countries / regions it will show you charts of temps and rainfall ... etc. for each month of the year in that area. This program seems a little complicated to use but perhaps once you figure it out and use it for a while it may becomoe much easier.

I was hoping to find something a little simpler and then perhaps progress to a more in depth software package when I have the need to store more data. I believe that the extra downloads on that page are tutorials and pictures & information on various species of herps. I haven't really played around with it that much yet. If you start using the Metzcal software let me know how well it works for you!!

Does anybody else here use something other than this program for keeping track of your herps?? Or if you currently use this program do you have any comments or suggestions regarding the Metzcal Herp Software?

Dyesub Dave. :D

HEY .... I can't seem to get the extra data files for this software to download for me. Is anybody else having problems with this?

Dyesub Dave. :D

Well I tried to get the large ZIP file with all of the items below contained in it but that didn't work. So then I tried several of the small files and couldn't get those either!

Are you able to download them properly? And if so what browser are you using?

Thanks ... Dyesub Dave. :D

I thought it was working for me, but same problem as you.. only downloads like 2k out of the 30ish megs and says its done :(:(

Thanks, just got the program working but dont know how to use it yet. Also downloaded the User Guid set and Dat Set files. Gonna play around with those tomorrow. The Metzcal Software FAQ file was like a zip or torrent file tho. Will also extract tomorrow. No problems tho....Internet Explorer.

Going to use the Metzcal........

Jenna from Prism had emailed me the link to the Metzcal site while my computer was down. I have been using Excel spreadsheets to track my chams. But now I'm getting into Crested Geckos as well. I've got 17 of those. Tracking all their different pattern, striping and color attributes makes the spreadsheet system too hard to use. She thought the Metzcal thing would help me out. Haven't had time to use it yet. I'm interested in seeing how it works for all of you.........

whoa! thats pretty cool. i never even thought about somthing like that. i would give it a try. but it's for windows machines. great now you've got me interested. i'll have to look for a mac application now

wowwww a mac user like me...
How rare :D
tell me if you succeeded getting one.

Spreadsheets are horrible databases! However, a database makes an excellent database.

What exactly do ya'll want to track?

I'm a whiz with Filemaker Pro (sounds of Mac users' ears perking up), but uh, don't have my own properly licensed copy of it and I don't think my employer would appreciate me using theirs very much.

Another herp software database out there besides Metzcal is http://www.thegeckocam.com/hcs/what/index.php. I have not used it, but it might be worth giving a try if some are finding Metzcal difficult to use. I like Metzcal because it has a lot more detailed information, even gene tracking in it and it can be used for a variety of species.

I haven't had time to compare these two different software programs, but maybe someone out there can try them both and give us some input :).

Breedware

We are using Breedware, which is a Web-based solution for keeping records of reptiles. You can check out some screenshots below:

productpg.jpg

Data is entered using a web-browser or a handheld device like the one seen below:

pocketpc2.jpg

If something like this was available to the general public, what is the most you would pay for it?

Hello everyone . . . I just stumbled upon the Metzcal software today while snooping around the net. Thought I'd check here before I downloaded it and saw this thread.
No new comments for a couple of months. For those that started using it, do you still like it? Is it user friendly? Looks a little complicated at first glance . . .

I do not need nearly all that this software offers, at the same time jotting down everything in a notebook is getting messy.

I was just going to use a printed out spreadsheet but could not fit everything on one sheet . . .

Anyway . . . thoughts?

Jim

Another herp software database out there besides Metzcal is http://www.thegeckocam.com/hcs/what/index.php. I have not used it, but it might be worth giving a try if some are finding Metzcal difficult to use. I like Metzcal because it has a lot more detailed information, even gene tracking in it and it can be used for a variety of species.

I haven't had time to compare these two different software programs, but maybe someone out there can try them both and give us some input :).
this program link you gave is really awesome! it's free, and relatively easy to use. and it lets you keep track of everything important for multiple chameleons (or other animals). I don't know if it's as in depth as the others, but for individual keepers, it's a great link.

Ummmm???? UUhhhhh??? :confused:

HOLY CRAP! :eek:

How is that free? I don't see links to other sites or any other way for him to make anything for him to support some thing that thorough.

Looks like my wife will see even less of me as I try to learn this software. ;)

Thanks for the link.

Kevin

Ummmm???? UUhhhhh??? :confused:

HOLY CRAP! :eek:

How is that free? I don't see links to other sites or any other way for him to make anything for him to support some thing that thorough.

Looks like my wife will see even less of me as I try to learn this software. ;)

Thanks for the link.

Kevin

Which one are you "Holy Crapp'n"? :D

Back
Top Bottom