Herp Database Software

So is anyone using Metzcal?

I downloaded it but cannot find how to keep track of daily feeding.

Anyone . . .?

Another herp software database out there besides Metzcal is http://www.thegeckocam.com/hcs/what/index.php. I have not used it, but it might be worth giving a try if some are finding Metzcal difficult to use. I like Metzcal because it has a lot more detailed information, even gene tracking in it and it can be used for a variety of species.

I haven't had time to compare these two different software programs, but maybe someone out there can try them both and give us some input :).

I saw this thread and downloaded the HCS off the geckocam site. It's free and pretty much what I needed. It's kind of a no frills database. It's also easy to figure out. I didn't even read the destructions (cause that's what you do when you can't figure it out). You can track length, weight, feeding and breeding schedules, health issues and treatment, enclosures and such. Probably not good detailed enough for someone with 40 chams (plus you'd spend all day filling in the feeding records), but it works great for me and my 8.

I saw this thread and downloaded the HCS off the geckocam site. It's free and pretty much what I needed. It's kind of a no frills database. It's also easy to figure out. I didn't even read the destructions (cause that's what you do when you can't figure it out). You can track length, weight, feeding and breeding schedules, health issues and treatment, enclosures and such. Probably not good detailed enough for someone with 40 chams (plus you'd spend all day filling in the feeding records), but it works great for me and my 8.

Thanks for the feedback. I was just looking at that one but wanted to wait and see if anyone responds about Metzcal. (I don't want 2 database software on my laptop). Anyway, I emailed Metzcal last week and still no response.

Does the HCS allow you to add pictures?

Thanks

Jim

You can add a picture on your animal record. It's probably a 2"x2" square. You can click on it to enlarge.

If you're asking if you can have like a gallery of photos attached to the record, not that I've found.

If someone could tell me how to do save a screenshot, I'd give it a try and post it so you could see what it looks like.

No need to go through all that trouble, I think I will download it this week and give it a try. Thanks!

Well I still could not find what I was looking for with Metzcal, and the creator never responded to my email, so I removed from my computer and downloaded HCS.
The HCS is a pretty simple program and very easy to use. I just wish I could modify the feeder page so I can add what I DO feed. So far I do not use rabbits & chickens . . . I also wish there was a spot on the cage page to enter bulb start dates so I can remember to replace on time.
Has anyone tried to modify the data on this software?

I haven't tried to modify the data points. I just use the comments section and list what I want. Houseflies, etc, and supplementation. I'm not at home, so I don't know if the enclosure record has a comments section. Maybe on the animal record you could put the bulb dates?

I haven't tried to modify the data points. I just use the comments section and list what I want. Houseflies, etc, and supplementation. I'm not at home, so I don't know if the enclosure record has a comments section. Maybe on the animal record you could put the bulb dates?

I sent the creator an email and he replied back. Was polite but stated he could not change the data fields at all. (I even hinted that the cham world would really be interested if he did . . .)

It still is usable software, just was hoping to customize it.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom