Hermie -- Drowned and back

Jam

Well. Partly I am telling this story as an OMG:eek: I can't believe htis happened and partly as a warning to someone else.

Some of you may remember my veiled hermie .. quick recap but he is an "ex-MBD" cham who broke all four legs and only had bone density in his spine and skull, was casted, healed and his bone density has returned to normal in all of his limbs. THEN he developed kidney problems (his reg. vet assumes infection vs. failure since he isn't dead) and was on multiple bouts of antibiotics and subq fluids. Vet thought he would have died, but no he's just hanging in there like a champ and doing quite well!.

My mom and I ran some errands today (she came to visit) and I come home to find hermie, escaped from his cage (he loves to do that) and FLOATING UPSIDE DOWN in a water collection container (that I use to collect the water that I drop into his cage). Not moving. Bloated. Cold. Dead cham colors. My heart sunk as I pulled him out and set him on the carpet still in shock.

YES I know that I should have covered it ... it wasn't in his cage, but since he has access to it when he leaves his cage it should have been covered. My terrible mistake/bad judgement.

ANYWAYS. I set him on his side, and there he lays for about 30 sec. and he sort of gets his legs under him. I think "huh, post-death reflexes?" a leg moves again every so slightly. I reach down to touch him and he vibrates. He still has NOT taken a breath, has NOT opened his eyes and is NOT really moving. Just those few semi-movements. I pick him up and open his mouth ... all of the mucus membranes are blue/grey. I think "shoot what do i have to loose" and try mini-reptile CPR ... thump on his sides a bit, breathe into his mouth ... and he takes a breath. Grabs onto my finger with one hand. OK if he has grip he ain't dead yet! So with the cell phone in one hand and him in the other I yell for my mom to quickly drive us to his vet clinic as I call them (they have an emergency line for the weekends). In the car he still doesn't have his eyes open but is breathing more regularly and gripping so taht he is upright on his own. Get a call back from the vet on call (as we're reaching the clinic) only to find out that all of the reptile vets are gone for the holiday weekend and she could only suggest that we try our local veterinary college/teaching hospital (about a 20 min. drive). So we turn around and drive in taht direction. He's upright, eyes open, but jsut sort of sitting htere looking dazed and confused.

By the time we get there he is normal colored, and he slowly started looking around more, climbing on me, and yes, even hissing and trying to bite.

The vet there on duty (not a reptile vet per say but still a vet who owned veileds) said that (a) he's flipping lucky (how many lives to chams have?) and that (b) since he's a reptile his metabolism slowed down and they're very good at holding their breathes... I figured she'd start us on antibiotics as a preventative for pneumonia but she said no, she would not recommend it and that he may not have inhaled the water. Originally I was thinking that he'd need an oxygen chamber (when he was breathing but his eyes were closed and he was only kind of responsive) but by the time we got there he was normal acting. she said to get him home and get him under his heat lamp and let him come back around.

So I'm def. keeping a close eye on him this weekend and will make a Tues. appt with his normal reptile vet.

WOW. Right now he's basking under his light.:D

What we need is a viedo of chameleon CPR. I did use my CPAP breathing maching once on a chameleon. Hope hubby never, ever knows.:D:D:D

wow, what a story.

thank you for sharing that with us, as I'm now going to keep my bucket screened up since you never know if something like that could happen to me and my poor panther....well, at least in the future, as I don't use a drain bucket just yet.

thanks again for the warning,
Harry

Vet may be right, drowning implies inhalation of water to the lungs, in which case it probly would have died. (still may have inhaled some, keep monitoring).
More likely it went into the water, possibly to cool off/drink, became chilled when it couldnt get out and its internal temperature dropped it into a torpid state.
Metabolism slows right down, heartbeat every few minutes, breathing almost undetectable, and it cant move. Eventually would have drowned.
Close call. Too close! Screen that tub.
Given its history, its definately had enough, id keep it warm, prevent anything else 'unexpected' and allow it time to recover
without further intervention if possible. Imo another round of meds probly will kill it.
Best wishes

He's just chilling under his basking light.

I alrady emptied the bucket and have removed it from his cage area until I can get a screen for it tomorrow. I'm not sure that he needs another drink tonight. I can only imagine he was climbing out and slipped ... or didn't realize it was water and tried to walk in. Only hermie knows I guess. Def. wont let it happen again!

I plan on completely leaving him alone tonight. I'll order him some horn worms and silk worms for next week ... I figure he could really use a treat! I'm not sure that I'll even run his dripper until later tomorrow. I'll try to find a local pet store that's open tomorrow iwth some wax worms for him as a treat as well. He is seriously the invincible cham. I have a feelings that I might have arrived home in just the nick of time. Thankfully. With everything that he's been through it's hard to believe that he'll be 4 in october. I know that's not THAT old for a cham, but given all that he's encountered in life before me and then later. wow.

Back
Top Bottom