Help

pantherchameleon1

my chams legs are weak he is a 4 month old male we thimk he had a sezer or a heart attack so the vet said to put him right under his light dont ask all about his cage just help

We need more information. If he is only 4 months I would not be quick to call out MBD. Please tell us what he is doing exactly and take a picture.

We can't help you very much without all that "questions about the cage and stuff". Without knowing what you feed, gutload, what you dust with and how often, what your cage is like, the lighting (brands and type), temps and humidity, how the cham gets water, etc. there are just too many possible problems.

It is very unlikely your cham had a heart attack or a seizure.

If you can't answer the basic questions we ask everyone who needs help, we can't answer your questions and help your cham the quickest.

Metabolic bone disease-caused by lack of calcium and UVB light. At 4 months I suppose this could be an issue. Do you have UVB lighting on him? We really still need more details.

I think he may just need some exercise. Put him on a treadmill or have him do some box squats.

There's a reason these folks ask for all the details and to have that husbandry form filled out. You asking what MBD is sounds an alarm that there may be a problem with your setup/supplementation, or at the very least that you haven't done much research into the care of your chameleon.

You should really consider taking the time to fill out the cage information, it will help your chameleon in the long run

Appropriate temperatures allow for proper digestion...which thus plays a part in nutrient absorption....so hopefully the warmest part of the cage where the chameleon can sit is in the mid 80's?

Exposure to UVB (either direct sunlight or a proper UVB light) allows the chameleon to produce D3 which allows it to use the calcium in its system. There should be no glass or plastic between the chameleon and the light.

Now, its great that the chameleon produces D3, but it needs calcium to go along with it and if you don't provide it with some in its diet, it will take it from the bones. Since most insects we use as feeders (especially if they aren't fed/gutloaded properly) have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous...so its important to dust them before giving them to the chameleon at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder to make up for this. (More about the phos. later.)

I dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it. The rest of the D3 should be produced from exposure to the UVB. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and cause problems...so its important not to overdo it.

I also dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that has a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. Beta carotene can't build up in the system like prEformed vitamin A can. However, there is controversy as to whether any/all chameleons can convert beta carotene...so some people give a little prEformed vitamin A once in a while. Excess prEformed vitamin A can prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD.

Its important to gutload/feed your insects a nutritious diet too. Crickets, roaches, superworms can be fed a wide variety of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, celery leaves, etc.). Other insects should be fed things appropriate for them too.

So...calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are all important players in bone health and they need to be in balance. When trying to attain that balance you need to look at what supplements you use, what you feed the insects, what you feed the chameleon, the UVB, the temperature, etc.

Now...weak legs can be a sign of MBD but we need more information. Other indications of MBD include but are not limited to...inability to lift the body off the branches, crooked or flexible casque, crooked arms and/or legs, deformed jaw, twitching and later on, lethargy, sitting lower in the branches, lack of appetite, etc.

If your chameleon is having problems the best advice I can give you is to take it to a good vet who is familiar with chameleons and their issues.

Back
Top Bottom