help

dc2ap2

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?screen 24x24x48
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?power sun 100w
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?79 t0 85 basking. lowest now mid 60s
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?45 to 65
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? live only in all my adult cages
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? in my cham room
Location - Where are you geographically located? out side philly in p.a.

Chameleon Info:14 month old red bar
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? red bar, 11 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? not to much he runsthecae out of the cage soon as the door is open so every cleaning but really just to put him back
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? crickets ,suppers,roaches only 4 to 5 a day all gut loaded on carrots,sweetpotato and oranges and crack
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?once a week hertivte and reptical d3
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?mist king 6 times a day for 1 min yes like a fish
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?pure white and brown and no testing
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.never a problem till 3 or 4 weeks ago had a bad shed and dint eat for a week. used neocal for 3 days and he cam back to his old self
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.well his back legs are very swollen and he has been sleeping late in the day but is up before the lights. also has a hard time holding him self up when perched kinda just lays like on a bed. he still eats and drinks. his colors are bright as they always are and out side of his legs looking bad and not holding him self up he is the same old wastage also when walking his placement is of he keeps putting his back feet on hit front arms? i dont get it out of all 9 of my guys this is the first real problem i have had please help i cant find a vet willing to help but i have 2 more im calling to day to see if some one will see my lil guy
this is left leg
DSC02713.jpg

right leg
DSC02714.jpg

and him
DSC02709.jpg

Do u not have a seperate uvb bulb?? Just the powersun? also 100 watt seems to be a little high....as far as the legs are concerned I dont want to say anything that Im not 100 percent about but Im sure senior will chim in soon enough

the power sun is a uvb buld it is hung at the right hight and when tested at the highest basking spot my meter reads only 46 so its not to high from what i have read

Not too sure what that is but we had a female panther a while back that had those same issues. She was super friendly and very active and then became very slow, slept a lot and stayed in the same position for most of the time. We put her outside so she would have the natural sunlight, he legs looked very swollen and she when she would walk she would grab herself with her back legs, it was like she had no coordination anymore. I am precisely sure but I think it was MBD and if not treated it is deadly, she unfortunately did not make it and it killed her quickly. She was my favorite chameleon and I have not gotten another panther since. Hope you get your diagnosis soon and begin to treat it quickly, I would hate to see you lose your guy.

Michelle

Awww poor lil guy.. I hope some of the senior guys can help you out... but I would go ahead and take him to a vet...esp if its mbd it can be a quick killer.. hope all goes well and keep us updated

i dont think this is mbd, my first veild had it bad when i got her and it was nothing like this. i kinda think it could be gout or some thing

I would recommend a vet visit right away with a GOOD chameleon vet even if you have to drive a ways to get to one. He's way too beautiful to let something happen to him.

I wont begin to guess, but in the first image, near the toe is a dark spot. could this be an
injury that broke the skin? A minor injury could be the entry point for an infection, sometimes an infection will cause swelling.
Even if the spot is an old injury thats healed and the swelling recent, this is still a possibility since in most reptiles infection will often not become apparent until its somewhat advanced.

This may not be case, plainly, I dont know, but since you post asking thoughts, I pass on this possibility. Either way its a gorgeous animal and a vet visit asap really is the best advice given you.
Best wishes for you and your cham :)

Just based on his colors I would say he is stressed to the max, is that because of you getting him out to care for him, or because of his problem?

I have a rescue ambanji,ambilboe (no two people agree) who has MDB. He nhas fired up colors. All the vet could do for me was neocalglucon, at .10 ml a day. I also give him reptaid. I don't know if he is much better but he isn't any worse. Yesterday I had him out in the sun. He CLIMBED up the side of the cage. He hasn't done that in a long time. He has to live in a crate since he kept falling of perches.

Please get him to a good vet so he doesn't get to the point my poor boy is. maybe your problem will be something simple, we will all hope.

i have called the 2 closes vets with in 1 hr from me and waiting for them to call me back neither had any clue what i was talking abut whe i said panther chameleon :eek:but you know some times finding a vet is harder then you think this is the first time in 2 year of keeping that i have had a problom so it sucks :(

laurie he has not fallen that i have seen and he still climbs fine (well slower then normal) i tryed the neocal but no changes (.10 for 4 or 5 days now)
as far as the black spots on his toes i think its just dirt from his potos he was in when i pulled him out for pics

We had a panther cham with exactly these same symptoms, and he stayed bright all the time too. He remained a pretty good eater right up to near the end, too. We took him to the vet. (This is not the kind of negative thing I generally would post.) He was a rescue we had for over a year, who had been in bad shape when we got him. But he had improved immensely in the time we had him, then suddenly took a seemingly overnight turn for the worse. Unfortunately, by the time he presented these symptoms he was in organ failure. It had begun with the appearance of gout, and so I made some husbandry/feeder/gutload changes, hoping to be treating his gout. But when all that didn't produce the change I was hoping for in the period of time I wanted, I took him to the vet, but by then it was too late.

Like I said, this is not the kind of negative post I generally would do. But there may still be hope. Your guy still looks pretty good, far better than my guy. I know it's difficult and expensive, but I would highly recommend getting him to the vet right away. Hopefully you will hear from 1 of those 2 vets soon. Have them do a blood draw, which will tell them how his organs are doing. If there is a remedy, I think you will only get it with a vet's help. The bright color tells you he is in extreme stress, and needs help now.

Also, our cham was seemingly in much pain. I didn't know it then, but now I know there is a pain med they can give them that is used for arthritis in dogs. They just dilute it for chams. It is cheap and easy to give. This may help his stress. Some vets, seemingly, don't always think about treating the discomfort of a chameleon, so you may want to ask about this at the office visit. It is Metacam. Dose is about .02cc Metacam once a day, depending on cham's weight.

Last edited:
gesang as far as his colors the table he was on for th pics is next to my blue bars (laguna) cage so he was fireing up a bit once i put him back in his cage he was back to his green and red. when i got up to check on him this am soon as the lights when on he climbed right up to his basking spot! he has not done this since he has been sic so i liked that! i am still waiting on the vets to call back.
jan its not the money or the drive time it the fact that so many of the vets i have called from that link dont even really want to see him or really know what he is but i am trying to find some one that knows some thing ( i hope more than me) that can help

one vet just called me and was like the little green ones you get on the bord walk :eek: really really come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! still no luck :mad:

Maybe this will help
www.herpvetconnection.com/Penn.Shtml
I have to drive two hours to my Cham vet but he's worth it! It's always good to have one lined up ahead of time for when you need them.

Where do you live in PA? Did you check out the link above? Even some of the vets there do not know chams. It's best to get a personal recommendation when possible. Maybe start a new thread "Looking for a vet in the ?????? PA area) Jann

one vet just called me and was like the little green ones you get on the bord walk

Was probly referring to green anoles, some people call them chameleons, no idea why.
Eitherway, atleast he elimenated himself by saying that, who knows what he would have told you!

this may help you

http://www.repticzone.com/articles/vets/Pennsylvania.html

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/penn.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090422133616AAZ0Ars

http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-vet-finder/pennsylvania-reptile-vet-listings-36/

many us states

http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-vet-finder/america-reptile-vet-listings-1/

gesang as far as his colors the table he was on for th pics is next to my blue bars (laguna) cage so he was fireing up a bit once i put him back in his cage he was back to his green and red. when i got up to check on him this am soon as the lights when on he climbed right up to his basking spot! he has not done this since he has been sic so i liked that! i am still waiting on the vets to call back.
jan its not the money or the drive time it the fact that so many of the vets i have called from that link dont even really want to see him or really know what he is but i am trying to find some one that knows some thing ( i hope more than me) that can help

That's great. Looks like you can get this nailed down while he's still in good shape. Keep us posted. And please don't let the vet do nothing but put him on Baytril "just in case". I am not a vet, and not a chameleon expert, but I do think a blood screening will let you know what's going on. There is enough information out there for an experienced vet to find out what the blood values SHOULD be and what off-values would indicate. And what to do to correct the blood levels and get the organs tuned up.

You really need to get him to a vet as has been suggested...and I know you said you are trying.

Regarding supplements...you said you dust "once a week hertivte and reptical d3"...I use them both twice a month lightly...but that's just my way. I also always dust at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder like Rep-cal. Its possible that he's not getting enough calcium...but you need a vet to tell you for sure because he doesn't have any obvious indications (bone deformities, etc.) of it.

Good luck with him! He's a beauty and you wouldn't want to lose him!

That's great. Looks like you can get this nailed down while he's still in good shape. Keep us posted. And please don't let the vet do nothing but put him on Baytril "just in case". I am not a vet, and not a chameleon expert, but I do think a blood screening will let you know what's going on. There is enough information out there for an experienced vet to find out what the blood values SHOULD be and what off-values would indicate. And what to do to correct the blood levels and get the organs tuned up.

And please don't let the vet do nothing but put him on Baytril "just in case".
what do you mean buy this? make him give it to him or not?

Back
Top Bottom