Help.....

thashow

Please help i have a veiled chameleon.. ive had it since dec. the first few months it was doing great up in the branches and eating and having a good time... about two months now its been on the ground and im worried... i have seen it fall once b4 but i didnt think anything of it... i cant afford to take it to the vet and really cant take care of it im looking to get rid of it because i work in the healthcare field i work really long days and sometimes dont get home til 9 (pac) when the lights are already off so feeding is hard... when it walks it grabs its self... so what im trying to say is if there is anyone that wants a whole chameleon setup and chameleon im looking to get rid of mine for like $200 Cost me over $800... i thought that i could do it and take care of it but ji just dont have the time when i got it and looked into it it seemed like i would have time but during these hard times ive had to work longer days and have no time for it.... if there is any help outh there please contact me asap... i live in fremont, ca.

That is unfortunate, you should have posted way earlier on the forum. Your chameleon is obviously seriously injured. Post some pictures of your chameleon and cage setup.

i will try i have them at my house and im somewhere else on the computer ill have to do it later tonight...

Cage Info:
Cage Type - glass and screen combo large like 22x36x22 somthing like that its pretty big
Lighting - schedule 12 on 12 off 8am-8pm uvb 5.0 and red heat lamp
Temperature - What temp range have you created top in the basking area bout 100 and at the bottom i put a couple of heat pads cause its cold in the bay area Lowest overnight temp 80 How do you measure these temps? thermostat
Humidity - What are your humidity levels?ranges between 50-70 How are you creating and maintaining these levels? sparaying in the am and night with ice cubes during the day What do you use to measure humidity? regular humidity thing
Plants - Are you using live plants? no just fake If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? in my sons room where there isnt alot of traffic and there is a winso in the room but its a lil bit away from it on a table like a 6 foot table is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?like 6' 6"
Location - Where are you geographically located? fremont sf bay area i hate the cold so my house stays around 76 to 82

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species veiled, sex????, and age ive had him since dec dont know age...
Handling - how often do u handle your chameleon? never just when i clean the cage
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? crickets gut loaded with left over salad and dandalions What amount? i try to put like 3-5 large crickets in there in am and pm but he dont eat them all
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? i was doing it all the time at first til i saw white stuff coming out his nose so i stopped and now im doing it like once to twice a month
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? spray in am and pm when i get home and i had a drip system but it just flooded the bottom and cause algee to grow and meldew How often and how long to you mist? like for 5 mins and if im homw i try to do it like 5 times a day Do you see your chameleon drinking? not very often but when i spray he opens and i do a light mist so he can drink it straight from the end of the spout... he hasnt done that in a while...
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. they are light brown to dark and they are semi sokid some white Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?no
History - ive seen him fall a couple of times and just thought that he missed his step and then i noticed him grabbing himself when he walked so i thought that he might have broken a bone and that is why he has been on the ground so much so ive let him stay there so that it can heal i havent been forcing him to do much just letting him rest it... ive been doing alot of reading on my own and dont have the cash to take him the the vet (spent it all on him for hte cage and accessories) but he also seems like lost or dizzy like he loses his balence alot when he is on the vines ( he hasnt been on them in a while)
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about. im concerned about him in general he lays with his mouth open... i just hate seeing him like this.... and the reason y i havent taken him in is the cash.. i just dont got it.... and as far as letting him suffer he looked healthy and i just did as much reading on him as i could and tried to do it myself i originally got it for my son as a present from sanata now im thinkin santa (me) was an idiot and feel bad for the lil guy... like i said i work in helathcare and work lng days just haven had the time lately i did in the begining but things change and i thuoght that i could keep up with it... guess not... my computer wont load the images right at this time my gpa is going to help me with that in the am.... 04-30-09 anyone that can help please do... thanks

i have the same type of leaf like fake vine u have and when my cham tries to grab it like urs does his weight jus turns it and he starts to fall

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, theres always a reason for why people can longer take care of an animal. I was just curious on why you had given up on him, these animals are very expensive and I understand where your coming from :(.

This does not sound good-but maybe he can die a less miserable death. It sounds like you do not have a good thermometer-AND-you are using a glass cage. Both Bad. Your temps are way too high. Way too much heat, probably way too much humidity at some point. First-turn off the heat-we have no idea how old, but 100 is way too high. Lights and heat should be going off at night. Chams are fine with a temp drop to high 60's-low70's. Being at the bottom with his mouth open is a sure sign of overheating. He needs a Vet or maybe someone near you can rescue it is not too late.

This does not sound good-but maybe he can die a less miserable death. It sounds like you do not have a good thermometer-AND-you are using a glass cage. Both Bad. Your temps are way too high. Way too much heat, probably way too much humidity at some point. First-turn off the heat-we have no idea how old, but 100 is way too high. Lights and heat should be going off at night. Chams are fine with a temp drop to high 60's-low70's. Being at the bottom with his mouth open is a sure sign of overheating. He needs a Vet or maybe someone near you can rescue it is not too late.
k so the lights go off at night and i got a combo cage screen on two sides and glass and the other two pix should b up tom... and when i touch him to clean cage he is cold usually.... he just started to do the open mouth thing.... this week...

He needs a Vet-he could have an upper respiratory infection. I hate to say it, but you took on the responsibility for this animals life. Many Vets will work with you. OR-please turn it over to a rescue. Make sure you KNOW what your temps are. Make sure the cage is drying between mistings.

Thashow, the following people in your area may be able to assist you

Animal Shelter Hours:
Tuesday - Friday: Noon - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday: 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Sunday, Monday and Holidays: Closed
1950 Stevenson Boulevard ~ Fremont, California 94538
(510) 790-6630

The Tri-City Animal Shelter provides sheltering services for lost, stray and injured domestic and wild animals found in Fremont, Newark, San Leandro and Union City. Approximately 8000 animals arrive each year. The shelter is located at 1950 Stevenson Boulevard in Fremont's Central Park near Lake Elizabeth and behind the police department. For more information, call the Tri-City Animal Shelter, or email at [email protected]

More resources in Ca. http://www.reptilerescueca.org/resourcepage.html

Chameleon and Enclosure Photos

We'll try turning down the heat and invest in a better thermometer.

Attachments

• 100_0646.jpg
    100_0646.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 100_0649.jpg
    100_0649.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_0653.jpg
    100_0653.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 131
The enclosure is not that bad, but that red heat light needs to go-if your cham makes it. She looks dehydrated and has a horribly mangled back leg. The leg needs a vet. Change you red bulb to a 60 watt lightbulb. Is there glass on top of the cage? UVB does not pass through glass or plastic. If the top is screen put the heat lamp on top.

Back
Top Bottom