help worried

Glenn

ok so its 11:22 pm i went to chk on my cham b4 bed and i saw that he had one eye open. i thought he was awake but he is sleeping. the other eye is shut. has anyone seen this b4 the eye looks a lil sunken in but the othere is not and his crest looks good (not sunken) he is about 4 months old. he has good humdity good light DSC00116.jpg

no it not pus its like a clear scab. and i am going to take him to the vet tomarrow anyone know the best way to transport him?

do you have saline solution? you can rince the eye out in the AM. gently flow fluid into the eye turret while holding him down... place his head on a towel. you can also use some terramycin to help clean things up.

can you share us what brand and model (coil or linear) do you use for his uvb and heat?

It's a compact. https://www.chameleonforums.com/im-new-chameleons-28276/

Glenn,

Discontinue the use of that bulb, they are known to cause health issues.

The intensity of that bulb is simply to much for chameleons, The prefered indoor UvB source would come from a linear style bulb and fixture. The most popular being: ZooMed's Repti-Sun 5.0 Linear Tube (18"-48") along with the apropreiate sized fixture.

-Jay

im useing a 24w exoterra 5.0 bulb and 1 100 w ceramic heater

since you are in Cali, isn't 100 watt a bit hot for him? the maximum bulb i use.
I have not checked the link Malicious provided about your setup. But. if he is correct (that you are using coil type uvb), then turn it off and never use it again. Get reptisun 5.0 LINEAR tube.
504985.jpg

since you are in Cali, isn't 100 watt a bit hot for him? the maximum bulb i use.
I have not checked the link Malicious provided about your setup. But. if he is correct (that you are using coil type uvb), then turn it off and never use it again. Get reptisun 5.0 LINEAR tube.
504985.jpg

the heater is a 100w but its hooked up to a rheostat he is a list of some stats i got on him for the past 10 days

Date WT Delta Food Temp RH
WT
8/1/2009 11.4 g 1.2 g 85/F 65%
8/2/2009 12.0 g 0.6 g 1.2 g 87/F 70%
8/3/2009 13.1 g 1.1 g 2.0 g 88/F 63%
8/4/2009 13.4 g 0.3 g 2.0 g 80/F 61%
8/5/2009 14.9 g 1.5 g 1.7 g 84/F 61%
8/6/2009 15.1 g 0.2 g 1.8 g 80/F 64%
8/7/2009 15.6 g 0.5 g 1.1 g 79/F 63%
8/8/2009 16.3 g 0.7 g 1.5 g 79/F 63%
8/9/2009 17.3 g 1.0 g 1.5 g 79/F 63%
8/10/2009 17.8 g 0.5 g 1.1 g 81/F 64%

and everyone keeps saying the coils are bad but why are they bad?

since you are in Cali, isn't 100 watt a bit hot for him?

The thing with ceramics is they just dont radiate heat like a bulb so much, no focused area of heat, rather they get hot, very hot, but tend to heat the air just around them and because heat rises, it tends to dissapate upwards.
So it may not be too hot, but a lower watt bulb will give a better basking 'spot' imo.

and everyone keeps saying the coils are bad but why are they bad?

Its a long held bias because UV emitting compacts were made that output way too high levels of UVB (unbalanced with UVA) and caused eye issues including blindness.
All compacts are now warned against for this reason.
They are handy being 'compact' yes, but a long tube gives you a better UV coverage than the short coil (narrow band) of a compact, so is a better choice anyway.
Chameleons have been discovered to bask exclusively to boost UV (d3 absorbtion) as opposed to simply getting it as a bonus by product of thermoregulation.
So, a lengthy tube will also provide areas where your lizard can bask for UV without the heat. (just as in the wild). :)

Welcome.

i would like to thank all of you for your advice. i took cam to the vet and he said he just scrached his eye prob while sheding! i did trash his coil bulb and got the zoo med 5.0 tube. if anyone could use a exotera 5.0 24w coil bulb let me know it has 2 weeks of run time on it and was on 15 hours aday. ill mail free of charge (lower 48 plz!!!)

Hope his eye heals up well from the scratch!
If you dont find a use for the CFL on a tank, or find someone to give it to, you can still use it around your house (in a fixture that uses glass between you and the bulb, or somewhere that your not sitting lookin at it). I have one in a porch light (the moths dont care). Dont forget to never throw florescents (tube or coil) in the trash - always recycle due to the mercury content.

Dont forget to never throw florescents (tube or coil) in the trash - always recycle due to the mercury content.

Very true! Be sure to turn this into the local recycling place... or your work should recycle its lamps... take it there and give it to the facilities people... or... find out who takes care of hazardous materials. If no one has a clue.... give them one, its bad news to throw them out in the trash AND you can be fined. Mention the fines.... most companies pull their heads out when they realize the EPA can come down on them for being stupid.

As for the heat coil. These are just bad unless you have temp issues at night. Coils should never be used during the day as a heat source in place of a normal household lamp (or flood or spot lamp). Tungsten lamps give off UVA. Your cham needs this just like they need the UVB from a UVB lamp. It isn't just heat they get from the 'heat lamp'.

If you do need heat... don't use a coil... I have some and have used them, but like JoJackson said the heat kinda rises from them. They will warm a cage or tub with babies inside.... BUT a more effective heat source for cool nights would be the ReptileUV heat projector. I do not have one.. but I watched their video and am convinced it is a good idea. Check it out!

Back
Top Bottom