Help with living wall

codiwatkins

Hey guys! I'm working on setting up my new enclosure and really like the idea of making the back wall a "living wall". I've searched around online for the actual planters to do this and they are super expensive. I don't mind paying for good quality stuff but it seems to me like I could make my own for much cheaper.... I was thinking of getting one of those over the door shoe racks that are made of plastic/mesh and then maybe filling the pocket with felt and then planting inside of that. I could use peatmoss all over the outside to hide the planters while waiting for them to fill in. I would like to plant some pothos, ferns orchids and other Cham friendly plants that will help with humidity.

Do you guys have any ideas or do you think using the over the door shoe rack would work?

Something like this but with vines

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 530
Hey guys! I'm working on setting up my new enclosure and really like the idea of making the back wall a "living wall". I've searched around online for the actual planters to do this and they are super expensive. I don't mind paying for good quality stuff but it seems to me like I could make my own for much cheaper.... I was thinking of getting one of those over the door shoe racks that are made of plastic/mesh and then maybe filling the pocket with felt and then planting inside of that. I could use peatmoss all over the outside to hide the planters while waiting for them to fill in. I would like to plant some pothos, ferns orchids and other Cham friendly plants that will help with humidity.

Do you guys have any ideas or do you think using the over the door shoe rack would work?

hi there,
i did something of a living wall where i used expanda foam and plastic pot plants and created a 3D wall that i could plant my pothos and some birds nest ferns in, what a lot of people do which i didnt is cover the foam with black silicon and silicon peat moss to the wall so plants and stuff can grow up on it. i think i have some pics in one of my threads

hi there,
i did something of a living wall where i used expanda foam and plastic pot plants and created a 3D wall that i could plant my pothos and some birds nest ferns in, what a lot of people do which i didnt is cover the foam with black silicon and silicon peat moss to the wall so plants and stuff can grow up on it. i think i have some pics in one of my threads

I remember seeing some frog owners post something like that when I was on here years ago! I'll see what I can dig up! Thank you.

i did more or less the same thing:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/custom-viv-reconstruction-111774/

eUssezK.jpg

this is a great rundown on how to do everything:

super easy, just buy a couple more containers of greatstuff than you think you need: you have to use the entire container in one go and it runs out quick...
and use the black "pond and stone" version, that way it wont show up even if it chips away down the line

Thank you so much! Do you think that foam stuff would hold up planters? Did you just buy it at like lowes/Home Depot or a local hardware store?

yup, any local hardware store should have it.

The foam holds up all the large manzanita stumps, so it should be more than enough for plants. Watch the video, as it gives a few tips on building in proper drainage etc

yup, any local hardware store should have it.

The foam holds up all the large manzanita stumps, so it should be more than enough for plants. Watch the video, as it gives a few tips on building in proper drainage etc

I'm not seeing a video link... There is a huge chance I am blind and not seeing it.. :cool:

Thanks guys! I'll start working on mine tomorrow... I was thinking of making it a separate pice that I can attach to the metal frame... That way if I need to redo something or whatever it will be easy to remove. What do y'all think about that?

Thanks guys! I'll start working on mine tomorrow... I was thinking of making it a separate pice that I can attach to the metal frame... That way if I need to redo something or whatever it will be easy to remove. What do y'all think about that?

you might want to try hygrolon if you dont plan on attaching it to a fixed (non-mesh) background. you can attach the plants directly to the sheet and it holds and wicks water better than anything Ive used
http://folius.com/product-category/media/hygrolon/

you could potentially fix a slab or sheet onto a plastic back (via silicone or other non-toxic adhesive) and hang that from the background

you might want to try hygrolon if you dont plan on attaching it to a fixed (non-mesh) background. you can attach the plants directly to the sheet and it holds and wicks water better than anything Ive used
http://folius.com/product-category/media/hygrolon/

you could potentially fix a slab or sheet onto a plastic back (via silicone or other non-toxic adhesive) and hang that from the background

This stuff looks interesting! Thanks for all your help. I'll post my finished project sometime next week hopefully!

Back
Top Bottom