Help with crickets!?

So, me and my dad are living with my grandma at the moment, and my grandma says if she sees an escaped cricket, i'm not going to be allowed to feed Thanos?!?!? I'm pretty sure that's animal abuse, but there is nothing I can do to stop her. :/ How can I make sure 0 crickets escape?

I suggest purchasing a cricket keeper, like the one in the screenshot, if you want to be able to transfer crickets more easily.
20200331_204205.jpg

I also think feeding Thanos in a separate container (like a big plastic storage tub) would be a good plan, so that crickets don't have the opportunity to get loose, in your enclosure, and then escape later.

@Ruthless has a great idea when suggesting a different feeder may be better.

So, me and my dad are living with my grandma at the moment, and my grandma says if she sees an escaped cricket, i'm not going to be allowed to feed Thanos?!?!? I'm pretty sure that's animal abuse, but there is nothing I can do to stop her. :/ How can I make sure 0 crickets escape?

Sorry to hear about this. Yes, it is a challenge to not have crickets escape. If you have a cat you might bring him/her in the room. My cat is my cleanup crew for any stray crickets. She loves them...she may be part chameleon. Who knows lol

Anyway,
I usually use a tall plastic bin, in specific, this one:
https://www.target.com/p/medium-clear-latching-storage-bin-made-by-design-8482/-/A-75664284?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Storage+Organization+Shopping_Brand&adgroup=SC_Storage+Organization&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9061089&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1247068&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1Iv0BRDaARIsAGTWD1uCXiDiGziiPCE2A4E7HzYygR_jGfD3MMvJxWCfkf6swLW_x1OmVlgaAlbVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like that one because it's tall. As long as the egg crate isn't super high up, the crickets don't usually hop out. I always fill my dusting cup with crickets in that bin.

From there, I dust and then use insect tongs to distribute them to the cham cages. I usually use the tongs/tweezers to count how many crickets I'm providing to each of my chams. Also, to control the size I provide for them. Alternatively, you can dump the entire cup in if you're confident in the number in the cup isn't too many. I usually end up putting feeders back in their container.
These are the tongs I'm talking about: https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-stainless-steel-feeding-tongs/dp/190126?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Zoo Med&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1Iv0BRDaARIsAGTWD1vFceFzfTaNEEsN2_cZRdKpFPN4Vp1pWrZfYsEUU2Dz9o8_xB9bylMaAjP9EALw_wcB

Don't be afraid of grabbing the crickets with the tool. They're pretty tough.

Whether you're using a glass or screen cage it may be beneficial to use a feeder cup so the feeders don't find their way out of the enclosure. Crickets can't jump out of a feeder cup for the most part. Idk how your relationship is with your dad, but maybe ask him to help you make one.
You can make one using common house hold items or purchase one

Here's a link how to make one: https://dragonstrand.com/constructing-a-chameleon-feeder-run/

Otherwise, as other members said, look into getting another feeder such as roaches or silkworms. There's a member on here, @jamest0o0, that sells all kinds of roaches if that helps. Banana roaches are useful if your cham doesn't like the dubias. My chams enjoy them more and happily eat them, but not dubias. I believe since the bananas are green that is one reason why they like them more.

Thanks for the input everyone! I will use all of this info. Thanks for recommending a cricket pen, but i already have one. All of the crickets jumped into their water bowl and drowned, so I buried them, because I have a slightly bioactive cage. Then a couple of them started coming back up so i don't even know what the f@#% is going on.

keep the crickets outside. They'll be fine if the temp is not too low. Don't chance it, but I'm pretty sure your grandma is not actually going to stop you from feeding your cham.

Thanks for the input everyone! I will use all of this info. Thanks for recommending a cricket pen, but i already have one. All of the crickets jumped into their water bowl and drowned, so I buried them, because I have a slightly bioactive cage. Then a couple of them started coming back up so i don't even know what the f@#% is going on.
don't keep any kind of water in there. They don't need water, they get their hydration from fruits. Additional hydration can be provided through water crystals.

Where are you located? Is it warm enough to keep your Cham outside yet?

I knew a lady in Los Angeles around 20 years ago that bred frogs and she had Giant Day Geckos loose in her house just for that reason. It was fun to visit her house.

Back
Top Bottom