Help please

She looks to be full grown at least 12 months+. She honestly looks pretty good considering she's your first cham and you got a senegal. Flapnecks, senegals, and gracefuls are notorious for being only wild caught and coming in severely dehydrated... What I am wondering is... whether her eggs are viable at all? They could be if they hadn't had her long and she mated before coming to them

You may have some beautiful CB babies on your hands in her eggs. I would try to incubate them and see if they are viable. It would be wonderful to have some Captive Hatched babies in the community again and if you could sell some to someone who would be able to breed some wilds with the ones you were might have... it would be amazing <3 Senegals are hard to get Captive born and bred.

When I got her they didn't know what species she was and how old she is. And before hurricane Irma I believe I'm not exactly sure she's only been at my house for a few days

Where did you get her from? You said this was at your boyfriends place. Is this pre or post Irma? It might seem a bit nosey, but is kind of necessary to get an understanding of what is going on.

"I have rep-cal with d3 and today I just got reptivite I try to remember to use it but she's been in my boyfriends care before I moved her to my house due to hurricane Irma"

So supplements are hugely important for chams, specially for females. You need calcium w/ and w/o D3 for this gorgeous lady. I'll link you to a good thread on supplementation, but you can find a whole bunch of resources. I haven't been around, but I bet @Andee and @Katacara would be happy to point you in the right direction for your Senegal.

Supplementation/MBD - https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/supplementation-mbd-1.2451/

What MBD is/Looks like - https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

Okay..

So yeah, as stated earlier the set up was wrong but hey... good news is you are willing to come out and try to improve things! So don't beat yourself up too much.

You're going to want a screen or mesh viv that is going to stand tall. The substrate should be removed post haste, although it looks like you have some sort of carton in the case. What is that exactly and what purpose does it serve? You CAN cup feed, but I would not personally cup feed from the floor.

Still editing, bare with please.

Last edited:
Where did you get her from? You said this was at your boyfriends place. Is this pre or post Irma? It might seem a bit nosey, but is kind of necessary to get an understanding of what is going on.

"I have rep-cal with d3 and today I just got reptivite I try to remember to use it but she's been in my boyfriends care before I moved her to my house due to hurricane Irma"

So supplements are hugely important for chams, specially for females. You need calcium w/ and w/o D3 for this gorgeous lady. I'll link you to a good thread on supplementation, but you can find a whole bunch of resources. I haven't been around, but I bet @Andee and @Katacara would be happy to point you in the right direction for your Senegal.

Supplementation/MBD - https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/supplementation-mbd-1.2451/

What MBD is/Looks like - https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

Okay..

So yeah, as stated earlier the set up was wrong but hey... good news is you are willing to come out and try to improve things! So don't beat yourself up too much.

You're going to want a screen or mesh viv that is going to stand tall. The substrate should be removed post haste, although it looks like you have some sort of carton in the case. What is that exactly and what purpose does it serve? You CAN cup feed, but I would not personally cup feed from the floor.

Still editing, bare with please.
Before Irma she was at his house and he had her since we got her and then the day after the storm passed she was at my house

You may have some beautiful CB babies on your hands in her eggs. I would try to incubate them and see if they are viable. It would be wonderful to have some Captive Hatched babies in the community again and if you could sell some to someone who would be able to breed some wilds with the ones you were might have... it would be amazing <3 Senegals are hard to get Captive born and bred.
Hopefully they are able to hatch I'm kind of excited to see if she lays them or not

Andee is right...she's not a flap...she's a Senegal.
She does look gravid but isn't showing the colors a female would show to reject the male...but likely won't when there's no male around.
Set up an opaque container at least 12" deep x 12" x 8" filled with washed playsand that is just moist enough to hold a tunnel IN her cage. Don't wait to do this.

If she shows signs of lethargy, sits low in the cage, sleeps during the day, phantom lays then get her to a vet ASAP.

This might help you...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/08FebFrancis.html

Before Irma she was at his house and he had her since we got her and then the day after the storm passed she was at my house

Alright, thank you for the clarification. I'll continue on from this post:

As soon as you can, like tomorrow, you need to get yourself a thermometer and a humidity gauge. You can get them all over, again I'll defer to others on what is best on the market now.

Before anything else though, you need to get her a laying bin asap as kinyonga said. Egg binding is an extremely tragic thing to go through.

Andee is right...she's not a flap...she's a Senegal.
She does look gravid but isn't showing the colors a female would show to reject the male...but likely won't when there's no male around.
Set up an opaque container at least 12" deep x 12" x 8" filled with washed playsand that is just moist enough to hold a tunnel IN her cage. Don't wait to do this.

If she shows signs of lethargy, sits low in the cage, sleeps during the day, phantom lays then get her to a vet ASAP.

This might help you...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/08FebFrancis.html
Thank you so much I'll definitely get the laying bin tomorrow and if she doesn't lay soon then I will be taking her to the vet

Supplementation is like panther/veiled chameleons from what I remember. She needs plain calcium every feeding, calicum without d3 2 times a month and a multivitamin 2 times a month. Right now I agree not to spend money on anything else currently if you are low but the bin and and necessities for it, it is absolutely a need to do in the next 24 hours preferably. I love senegals and the like. They are such shy little beauties. I hope she takes the bin well, give lots of privacy during laying, if someone else hasn't mentioned it put a towel in front of her enclosure where the bin would be so she feels safe.

Supplementation is like panther/veiled chameleons from what I remember. She needs plain calcium every feeding, calicum without d3 2 times a month and a multivitamin 2 times a month. Right now I agree not to spend money on anything else currently if you are low but the bin and and necessities for it, it is absolutely a need to do in the next 24 hours preferably. I love senegals and the like. They are such shy little beauties. I hope she takes the bin well, give lots of privacy during laying, if someone else hasn't mentioned it put a towel in front of her enclosure where the bin would be so she feels safe.
Would something like a flower pot and that soil work ? And that's my first priority tomorrow

I've kept Senegal's quite a few times in my 30+ years of keeping chameleons and always kept them in an exoterra glass cage with a screen lid and vents in the front...no substrate...branches and real plants...dripoer and immisted them too....Repti-sun 5:0 long linear UVB tube light.
Basking light...a regular incandescent household white light bulb of a wattage that put the temperature in the low to mid 80's F.
I fed/gutloaded the crickets, superworms, etc with a wide assortment of greens, veggies and a bit of fruit that I've listed on here repeatedly. I dusted at almost every feeding with a phosphorous-free calcium powder and twice a month with a phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with a vitamin powder that contained a beta carotene source of vitamin A.

Hope this helps.

@Denaixoxo I apologise for missing your post with the info and asking you to repeat yourself :notworthy: I am so excited to see this beautiful girl!! I hope her eggs hatch, and if they do I'm interested!!

But before we can think about that we need to get your girl setup. You are off to a great start by asking questions, and being willing to make changes and take advice!!

Oh and a huge welcome to the community!! :D

I've kept Senegal's quite a few times in my 30+ years of keeping chameleons and always kept them in an exoterra glass cage with a screen lid and vents in the front...no substrate...branches and real plants...dripoer and immisted them too....Repti-sun 5:0 long linear UVB tube light.
Basking light...a regular incandescent household white light bulb of a wattage that put the temperature in the low to mid 80's F.
I fed/gutloaded the crickets, superworms, etc with a wide assortment of greens, veggies and a bit of fruit that I've listed on here repeatedly. I dusted at almost every feeding with a phosphorous-free calcium powder and twice a month with a phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with a vitamin powder that contained a beta carotene source of vitamin A.

Hope this helps.
Thank so much

@Denaixoxo I apologise for missing your post with the info and asking you to repeat yourself :notworthy: I am so excited to see this beautiful girl!! I hope her eggs hatch, and if they do I'm interested!!

But before we can think about that we need to get your girl setup. You are off to a great start by asking questions, and being willing to make changes and take advice!!

Oh and a huge welcome to the community!! :D
Thank you so much I will be keeping it posted up with how she is and when she lays the eggs I'm excited and thank you for welcoming me

Hope this helps.

What size exoterra have you used before?

Actually... quick question @Denaixoxo could you take a picture of the entire enclosure so we can get an idea of the size of tank? Not to be weird, but for some reason it looks like a glass tank put on the side :p

What size exoterra have you used before?

Actually... quick question @Denaixoxo could you take a picture of the entire enclosure so we can get an idea of the size of tank? Not to be weird, but for some reason it looks like a glass tank put on the side :p
It is a ten gallon tank out on its side with an vented top

It is a ten gallon tank out on its side with an vented top

I'm going to pose the question to @kinyonga since she has more history with Senegals. Would that be enough air flow? Or would they want to move to an actual exoterra and what would you recommend?

I feel like you'd want to move to an exoterra... but I don't have much experience with the species itself.

A ten gallon is not big enough. It would be better by far to use an exo Terra.

@davtheveiled I'm not going to measure right now but about 24" x 24" x18" ...wild guess.
In the beginning I also kept them in glass tanks with screen lids because at that time there were no proper cages. It needs to be done properly and with attention to detail...but it works. I wouldn't do that nowadays though..they're are better options now of course.

A ten gallon is not big enough.

@davtheveiled I'm not going to measure right now but about 24" x 24" x18" ...wild guess.
In the beginning I also kept them in glass tanks with screen lids because at that time there were no proper cages. It needs to be done properly and with attention to detail...but it works. I wouldn't do that nowadays though..they're are better options now of course.
Okay but my priority is the laying bin and then the tank

Back
Top Bottom