HELP NEW CHAMELEON NOT EATING

DeadFxce

Hi My Female Veiled Cham wont eat i got her on 9/7/20 so i had her for around 3 days now and when i brought her home she ate one cricket since then nothing i let the crickets loose the first night and now im using a feeder run, i think maybe because she was formerly fed free ranged but i do not like that idea so i tried a feeder and she has not eaten any of them she showed interest today by staring at them for a little but did not eat them is it cause what she was used too a free and now im using a feeder. The crickets are medium as well if that may play a role also she seems healthy her colors are bright green unless she is basking she becomes darker because of her environment obviously. she is around 3 months i believe, i got her at petco she also is in a proper enclosure proper lighting all of that she drinks too but dosent seem interested in eating i do not know if its stress from being brought to a new home or what also i forgot to mention i have handled her a little so maybe that causing much stress on her. is it normal for a new chameleon even a baby too not eat when they are brought to a new home.

Hi My Female Veiled Cham wont eat i got her on 9/7/20 so i had her for around 3 days now and when i brought her home she ate one cricket since then nothing i let the crickets loose the first night and now im using a feeder run, i think maybe because she was formerly fed free ranged but i do not like that idea so i tried a feeder and she has not eaten any of them she showed interest today by staring at them for a little but did not eat them is it cause what she was used too a free and now im using a feeder. The crickets are medium as well if that may play a role also she seems healthy her colors are bright green unless she is basking she becomes darker because of her environment obviously. she is around 3 months i believe, i got her at petco she also is in a proper enclosure proper lighting all of that she drinks too but dosent seem interested in eating i do not know if its stress from being brought to a new home or what also i forgot to mention i have handled her a little so maybe that causing much stress on her. is it normal for a new chameleon even a baby too not eat when they are brought to a new home.
Hmm I don’t know how long ones that young are ok without food... def stop handling her though. At least for a couple weeks handle as little as possible to reduce stress

It does take them a few days to adapt to their new homes. You do need to make sure her feeders aren’t too big. The rule is anything larger than the space between her eyes is too big. Medium crickets may be too big for her. You could also try feeding her some bsfl (Phoenix worms, Calci worms) which would be a good size.
Is this your first chameleon?

It does take them a few days to adapt to their new homes. You do need to make sure her feeders aren’t too big. The rule is anything larger than the space between her eyes is too big. Medium crickets may be too big for her. You could also try feeding her some bsfl (Phoenix worms, Calci worms) which would be a good size.
Yes she is I already feel in love with this kind of reptile so I wanna make sure she’s okay

Would it maybe be a problem that she used to eat free and now I’m using a feed runner or that she has always ate crickets since she if from a petstore

Also where should I put them when I get the worms in the feeder or around the enclosure

Yes, I would continue to use the feeder. Make sure it’s near the same level as her basking area to ensure that she sees it.
If you’d like, you can have your husbandry reviewed to make sure all is correct. Pet stores have the awful habit of giving incorrect info which leads to very sad situations...especially for the lady chams.

Yes, I would continue to use the feeder. Make sure it’s near the same level as her basking area to ensure that she sees it.
If you’d like, you can have your husbandry reviewed to make sure all is correct. Pet stores have the awful habit of giving incorrect info which leads to very sad situations...especially for the lady chams.
Okay thank you so I’m the morning I’ll get tiny worms and put how many in her feeder also what about xtra small crickets

This may help with what to feed and what to feed the feeders. Gutloading is important to pass nutrition on to your cham.
F70467E5-F15E-49AB-ADC2-2226635D1AC7.jpeg
CEA9C64A-01D8-4AB5-8941-98E5438980FF.jpeg

If you’d like all of your husbandry reviewed to make sure all is perfect, copy & paste with your answers. Pics are super important too...from top of enclosure to floor. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

If you’d like all of your husbandry reviewed to make sure all is perfect, copy & paste with your answers. Pics are super important too...from top of enclosure to floor. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  • Your Chameleon - veiled, female, 3 months old in my care for 3 days
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
  • She is a veiled Cham female about 3 months and had her for 3 days. Handling - Few times a day
  • Feeding - trying crickets but won’t eat them was gut loading with carrots
  • Supplements - none
  • Watering - just a spray bottle with room temp water 3 times a day
  • Fecal Description - Brown with white drop and no
  • History - She is from petco and my first Cham

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - built myself and all screens it’s about 3 ft Tall and 2 ft wind
  • Lighting - I’ve been using a 60 watt not sure the brand and 12 hrs on fom 10 to 10 on and the night off
  • Temperature - 81 f and lowest about 70 f
  • Humidity - Have not measured humidity
  • Plants - live plants from outdoors
  • Placement - On my dresser it’s about 6 ft off the ground and by and open window there is and air conditioner near the enclosure
  • Location - Pennsylvania United States

Current Problem won’t eat
DA916A73-BEA6-4081-AC1D-BF5AD6946787.jpeg
F95024A7-D559-4A00-98E9-076D608E9EA0.jpeg
B1EAB286-1266-4F3A-BD99-6FB66476FCB9.jpeg
AA4E2701-1A83-46C0-948C-7169DEEF1270.jpeg

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
How many of the little worms should I put in the feeder once I get them

Putting my feedback in red.

• She is a veiled Cham female about 3 months and had her for 3 days. Handling - Few times a day
  • Feeding - trying crickets but won’t eat them was gut loading with carrots I already gave you the feeder and gut loading sheets. Variety is best. You may need to order some of the various type feeders on line. Check the site sponsors.
  • Supplements - none Supplements are essential. Will give you the easy basic regimen. You'll want to get a phosphorus free calcium without D3 and Reptivite with D3. Lightly dust every feeding with the calcium except for one every 2 weeks. For that feeding dust with the Reptivite with D3.
  • Watering - just a spray bottle with room temp water 3 times a day Ok. Make sure to spray/mist for at least 2 minutes each time or until the plant leaves are fully saturated. No idea how your tap water is, but some contains chlorine. You may want to buy distilled water, although I recall reading that if tap water is left for at least 24 hours, the chlorine dissipates from it.
  • Fecal Description - Brown with white drop and no
  • History - She is from petco and my first Cham

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - built myself and all screens it’s about 3 ft Tall and 2 ft wind Ok. Good size for now. You may want to get started on either making or adding to your current to provide one that is at least 4' tall.
  • Lighting - I’ve been using a 60 watt not sure the brand and 12 hrs on fom 10 to 10 on and the night off From your pics, you only have a basking light. You need a UVB light. The best to get is a linear T5ho fixture with either a 5.0 or Arcadia brand 6% UVB bulb. It needs to be long enough to span the width of your enclosure. 12 hour on/off schedule is perfect.
  • Temperature - 81 f and lowest about 70 f Perfect! Not only perfect for a baby cham, but perfect for a mature female too.
  • Humidity - Have not measured humidity You'll need to get a hygrometer to measure. Ideal humidity range is between 30-50% during the day for a veiled. At night when it's cooler, it can spike all the way to 100%. Heat + humidity can = respiratory infection.
  • Plants - live plants from outdoors Perfect! Just make sure that they are not toxic for chams. There is a great list here. plants
  • Placement - On my dresser it’s about 6 ft off the ground and by and open window there is and air conditioner near the enclosure Just make sure the AC isn't blowing directly on the cham. the height is great...chams feel safest when they are up higher than us.
  • Location - Pennsylvania United States

The supplements and UVB are essential, as without them your cham will develop metabolic bone disease, which can be fatal. It is especially important for females as they lay eggs regardless of whether they have been mated or not.
Right now, I would say place a feeder cup at a convenient and easily visible level for her. Hopefully she's not eating as she just needs to adjust to her new home more. At her age, she should be getting around 12-15 appropriate sized feeders daily in the morning. Until she really starts eating better, I would just put a couple in there and see how she does. If she takes them, add the rest. Try not to leave crickets in her enclosure overnight as they will get hungry and bite her. You could always leave a small piece of carrot or a green in there for them to eat instead of her.
As she starts nearing around 5-6 months old, you'll want to slowly start reducing the number of feeders she's getting. As she reaches that age, she will start maturing enough to lay eggs. Yes, she will lay eggs regardless of being mated or not. There is plenty of time to learn all about that though.
You do need to add more branches horizontally for her to travel on and more plants like a pothos with vines to drape at different levels. It looks like you have coco fiber on the floor. Unless you have a bioactive environment, no substrate is best and most hygienic.
Great places to learn so much more are:
https://chameleonacademy.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3n4S2GRkOGfk2U8-xhaw6Q
And of course, the forum. :) Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. There is always someone willing to help and teach.

Back
Top Bottom