Help needed - Jackson chameleon supplementation

I pretty much have ignored what they've said as they sound like they have no clue whatsoever!

In the manual for the lighting system (I'll have to have a look at what system I have as I can't remember off the top of my head), says that you can only have two x ReptiGlo 5 fluorescents or 2 x ReptiGlo 10 fluorescents, but I will check when I get home to see what it says and let you know. I did purchase a ReptiGlo 2 fluorescent, so maybe I should give that a go with the 5, if it'll accept them?

I do tend to spray for longer in the morning then the afternoon, and don't spray in the evening. There is some water at the bottom of the viv as I don't use substrate - prefer to have it nice and easy to clean, and so he doesn't get anything stuck in his mouth or mould and bacteria doesn't breed.

He uses both his dripper and the mistings I give him. The humidity thing is stupid, and didn't think that this would cause a problem as I used to have one with my panther as well with no issue.

To the left of the viv, the highest branch is just under the bulbs, but I haven't ever seen him go up that high. In the middle of the cage, the branch is quite a way from the bulbs, and to the right, he isn't near the UVB bulbs, but can get nearer to the hear lamp without injuring or burning himself (see image below - it's the same one I shared earlier in this thread).
I've just updated one of the ReptiGlo 5 fluorescents for the ReptiGlo 2, and it works! It makes such a difference! Hopefully this will help. Thank you.

Hmmm - still not sure what to say about the light! If it's made by the same company that makes the bulbs then they might just be trying to get you to purchase their bulbs! Be aware that the 2.0 bulb will most likely still not produce as bright of light as a normal bulb - that's one of the reasons I was kind of pushing an ordinary fluorescent - to brighten things up and give a more normal and natural lighting to his enclosure. As far as the distance from the uv bulbs - if he spends a fair amount of his time less than 25cm or so from them, then I would be inclined to use just one of the 5.0 bulbs, but still there is the issue of whether or not you can replace the other with a regular bulb. If it were me I would just try a regular fluorescent of the same size and wattage in the light - but I don't want you to ruin your light going by my advice!

Also not to be too critical but you could add a few more cross branches to his enclosure. I don't think this is an emergency at all - just something you could do eventually!!

I just saw your last post - that's moving in the right direction!!! In fact if the lighting looks fairly bright and natural now you might be ok with that.

I just saw your last post - that's moving in the right direction!!! In fact if the lighting looks fairly bright and natural now you might be ok with that.
Thanks for coming back to me about the lighting. I've tested it and it's brighter and he came alive! Started moving around more, which is great to see. Will keep an eye on him tomorrow and hoping that's all the issues sorted, fingers crossed.

I know, I was going to get some more vine/branches when I next get paid. I want there to be plenty of places for him to move around, up and down, and side to side.

Thank you again for all your help. I will keep you posted as to how things are going. :)

Thanks for coming back to me about the lighting. I've tested it and it's brighter and he came alive! Started moving around more, which is great to see. Will keep an eye on him tomorrow and hoping that's all the issues sorted, fingers crossed.

I know, I was going to get some more vine/branches when I next get paid. I want there to be plenty of places for him to move around, up and down, and side to side.

Thank you again for all your help. I will keep you posted as to how things are going. :)
Well, what a difference a day makes! I've been home to check on my little guy at lunchtime and he has brightened up, is moving around, and, most importantly, his eyes were open!!! Am hoping that this is it now and that he's not suffering due to incorrect UVB light/heat sources.

Thank you again, @AZChamFan for your amazing advice. Will take some photos of him soon.

Thanks again.

I'm just VERY happy he is doing better! Yes please keep us updated with some new pictures! He is really amazing and very handsome!

Thanks everyone.

I think I may of spoken too soon! I've come home to him scratching his eyes . Now, I understood that to mean that he might be dehydrated? Am I right in thinking that?

Thanks everyone.

I think I may of spoken too soon! I've come home to him scratching his eyes . Now, I understood that to mean that he might be dehydrated? Am I right in thinking that?

Oh dear. I've never dealt with that so hopefully others will chime in. It sounded like he was drinking well so dehydration seems unlikely but it's possible he needs better "showers". What's funny is my guy only drinks and cleans his eyes during hand misting with a pump type mister and not when the mist king runs, but many people will say the misting sytem is an absolute must. Do you ever see him cleaning his eyes? It might be helpful to post some new close ups showing his eyes. Also just how much is this happening? Sorry if any of these questions were answered elsewhere and I missed them.

Oh dear. I've never dealt with that so hopefully others will chime in. It sounded like he was drinking well so dehydration seems unlikely but it's possible he needs better "showers". What's funny is my guy only drinks and cleans his eyes during hand misting with a pump type mister and not when the mist king runs, but many people will say the misting sytem is an absolute must. Do you ever see him cleaning his eyes? It might be helpful to post some new close ups showing his eyes. Also just how much is this happening? Sorry if any of these questions were answered elsewhere and I missed them.
I've never seen him clean his eyes, if I'm honest. I don't have a misting system, just hand pump it a couple of times a day. I'll try and get some close ups, if I can, with his eyes open. The scratching is something I haven't seen before, so wondering whether I should mist a bit more and see how it goes.

Thank you again.

At this point it could have been an isolated event. I should clarify that I've seen this before in mine but only a very few times and it was never something that became an issue - that's what I meant by never dealing with it before - I just meant it's never turned into a problem for me. I'm also not pushing you to get a misting system although there's no doubt they are great to have. However my first boy never had one for almost six years and was an absolute picture of health every day of his life. I now use a combination of hand misting and automated. My chams just always seem to respond better to the very gentle and natural "raindrop" effect that I can simulate with hand misting, and I can get pretty fine droplets with my hand mister. I can also very gradually ease them into the misting session with hand misting and they don't run from it like they do with the automated system. Sure, the extra fine mist of an automated system is great for cleaning eyes, but only if your cham stays in it. I also must ask myself - where does this ultra fine type of mist/spray come from in nature?! This is just my own personal experience. I'm NOT trying to bash misting systems!!!!

Last edited:
At this point it could have been an isolated event. I should clarify that I've seen this before in mine but only a very few times and it was never something that became an issue - that's what I meant by never dealing with it before - I just meant it's never turned into a problem for me. I'm also not pushing you to get a misting system although there's no doubt they are great to have. However my first boy never had one for almost six years and was an absolute picture of health every day of his life. I now use a combination of hand misting and automated. My chams just always seem to respond better to the very gentle and natural "raindrop" effect that I can simulate with hand misting, and I can get pretty fine droplets with my hand mister. I can also very gradually ease them into the misting session with hand misting and they don't run from it like they do with the automated system. Sure, the extra fine mist of an automated system is great for cleaning eyes, but only if your cham stays in it. I also must ask myself - where does this ultra fine type of mist/spray come from in nature?! This is just my own personal experience. I'm NOT trying to bash misting systems!!!!
To be honest, I have been thinking about getting a misting system as I've heard good things about them. May look into this more and see what's out there.

Maybe it's just a one off thing that I've not seen before, or it might be a one off altogether, so no reason to worry. My panther used to love being misted and he would clean his eyes while I misted. This guys a little shy of the hand mister, but is getting better everyday. He's not too worries about my hands either now, which is good too. I'll keep any eye on him and see how he goes.

Will post some photos up when he's a bit more colourful and bigger. His colours are really showing now, so hoping it won't be long before I see some gorgeous colours on him. Do you have any photos of your jacksons that I could take a look at? I love seeing other people chams.

To be honest, I have been thinking about getting a misting system as I've heard good things about them. May look into this more and see what's out there.

Maybe it's just a one off thing that I've not seen before, or it might be a one off altogether, so no reason to worry. My panther used to love being misted and he would clean his eyes while I misted. This guys a little shy of the hand mister, but is getting better everyday. He's not too worries about my hands either now, which is good too. I'll keep any eye on him and see how he goes.

Will post some photos up when he's a bit more colourful and bigger. His colours are really showing now, so hoping it won't be long before I see some gorgeous colours on him. Do you have any photos of your jacksons that I could take a look at? I love seeing other people chams.

Yes there are a lot of great things about a misting system! In many situations they are invaluable. I'm just one of the people that does not feel they are an absolute necessity in every single situation! I use a mist king myself so I'm certainly not "against" them!!!

I will try and post a few photos later!

I've never seen him clean his eyes, if I'm honest. I don't have a misting system, just hand pump it a couple of times a day. I'll try and get some close ups, if I can, with his eyes open. The scratching is something I haven't seen before, so wondering whether I should mist a bit more and see how it goes.

Thank you again.
You should really look into some misting systems they help A LOT. And what I do is for about 15-30 mins a day I mist Glen with warm water (usually toward the end of the day). And he loves it, he usually drinks the whole time.

You should really look into some misting systems they help A LOT. And what I do is for about 15-30 mins a day I mist Glen with warm water (usually toward the end of the day). And he loves it, he usually drinks the whole time.

Not arguing at all but keep in mind this cham is in a glass enclosure (from what I can tell) and misting requirements can be very different between glass and screen.

Do you have any photos of your jacksons that I could take a look at? I love seeing other people chams.

Per your request here is my "new" guy and his enclosure - he's young but I don't know his exact age. I got him November 23, 2016. He just had his showers in these pics! He's extremely calm and sweet!

Spike 1.jpg

Spike 3.jpg

Jackson cage 2.jpg

Jackson cage.jpg

And here is my last boy who I lost about a year ago. He must have been close to 7 years old since I had him almost 6 years and he was a young adult when I got him. I'm guessing he was about 3 in this picture. He was an absolute sweetheart and ate every single meal from my fingers.

Spike.jpg

And here's my Verrucosus boy and his enclosure!! He was wet in these pics too - they're just cell phone pics - not great. He's extremely calm and mild mannered also. He had a rough time for a while through import and the pet store but he's thriving now (after $600.00 in vet bills but that's o.k.!!). I got him January 19, 2017.

v1.jpg

V 3.jpg

Verrucosus Enclosure.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom