Help needed - Jackson chameleon supplementation

Per your request here is my "new" guy and his enclosure - he's young but I don't know his exact age. I got him November 23, 2016. He just had his showers in these pics! He's extremely calm and sweet!

View attachment 178899

View attachment 178900

View attachment 178902

View attachment 178904

And here is my last boy who I lost about a year ago. He must have been close to 7 years old since I had him almost 6 years and he was a young adult when I got him. I'm guessing he was about 3 in this picture. He was an absolute sweetheart and ate every single meal from my fingers.

View attachment 178905

And here's my Verrucosus boy and his enclosure!! He was wet in these pics too - they're just cell phone pics - not great. He's extremely calm and mild mannered also. He had a rough time for a while through import and the pet store but he's thriving now (after $600.00 in vet bills but that's o.k.!!). I got him January 19, 2017.

View attachment 178906

View attachment 178907

View attachment 178908
cool Pictures man do you have ventilation lids on the back ? uff for a moment I thought you hade the furciferis and the xantho in the same enclosure.

Per your request here is my "new" guy and his enclosure - he's young but I don't know his exact age. I got him November 23, 2016. He just had his showers in these pics! He's extremely calm and sweet!

View attachment 178899

View attachment 178900

View attachment 178902

View attachment 178904

And here is my last boy who I lost about a year ago. He must have been close to 7 years old since I had him almost 6 years and he was a young adult when I got him. I'm guessing he was about 3 in this picture. He was an absolute sweetheart and ate every single meal from my fingers.

View attachment 178905

And here's my Verrucosus boy and his enclosure!! He was wet in these pics too - they're just cell phone pics - not great. He's extremely calm and mild mannered also. He had a rough time for a while through import and the pet store but he's thriving now (after $600.00 in vet bills but that's o.k.!!). I got him January 19, 2017.

View attachment 178906

View attachment 178907

View attachment 178908
They are all beautiful - thank you for sharing. I love the enclosures you've got too - they're really smart.

I can't wait to see how my little guys colours come out. He's around 8 months, so hopefully won't be long!

Thank you again.

Here's my little guy today looking so much better and happier. He's eating lots, drinking and is generally looking much happier.

Attachments

• IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 93
Here's my little guy today looking so much better and happier. He's eating lots, drinking and is generally looking much happier.

I think he's beautiful - I actually wanted that subspecies but couldn't find one here!! I love his yellow and I'm sure more colors will come out as he grows. He looks very good! I'm so happy he's doing better! Thanks for the new photo!

cool Pictures man do you have ventilation lids on the back ? uff for a moment I thought you hade the furciferis and the xantho in the same enclosure.

For ventilation (both enclosures) 3/4 of the top is "screen" and there is a small computer fan drawing air out above the basking lights. There is also a 1/4" gap along the bottom of the front glass door which allows air to enter. This might not seem like much but it's equal to a 3" x 3" hole on the Verrucosus enclosure and approx. a 2.75 x 2.75 hole on the Jackson's cage which actually allows quite a bit of air to enter especially with the fans and the chimney effect of the heat lights. It is the perfect balance allowing me to maintain some humidity in very dry Arizona while still allowing air flow.

I think he's beautiful - I actually wanted that subspecies but couldn't find one here!! I love his yellow and I'm sure more colors will come out as he grows. He looks very good! I'm so happy he's doing better! Thanks for the new photo!
Well, it's thanks to your help that I now know that I'm doing it correctly! Can't thank you enough!

A computer fan is a great idea! I may try that. Going to put some more vents in my viv so there's plenty of air movement. Your chams really are beautiful.

For ventilation (both enclosures) 3/4 of the top is "screen" and there is a small computer fan drawing air out above the basking lights. There is also a 1/4" gap along the bottom of the front glass door which allows air to enter. This might not seem like much but it's equal to a 3" x 3" hole on the Verrucosus enclosure and approx. a 2.75 x 2.75 hole on the Jackson's cage which actually allows quite a bit of air to enter especially with the fans and the chimney effect of the heat lights. It is the perfect balance allowing me to maintain some humidity in very dry Arizona while still allowing air flow.
yeah. thats kinda how i kept mine. I used exo terras. no fans due. I read that fans are not good for chameleons. 1/4" sound a bit too small but you say you have a 2.75 x 2.75" aswell right? that should do it fine. I aiming to have build an enclusure for a jacksonii jacksonii not to different from your. anyway really good looking set up you have there.

yeah. thats kinda how i kept mine. I used exo terras. no fans due. I read that fans are not good for chameleons. 1/4" sound a bit too small but you say you have a 2.75 x 2.75" aswell right? that should do it fine. I aiming to have build an enclusure for a jacksonii jacksonii not to different from your. anyway really good looking set up you have there.

I'm sure you've also read that glass enclosures cannot be used for chams!;)

Fans must definitely be done correctly but keep in mind I said these are small fans and are pulling air OUT of the enclosure only - not blowing into it. This technique has worked well for me for the past approx. 15 years. A screen cage located in most rooms with air conditioning will have more "draft" than I am creating with this technique.

What I said about the 1/4" gap is that it is equal to a 3" x 3" open hole. A 1/4" opening 36" long equals 3" squared.

I know by the rate at which these cages dry out that the air is not by any means stagnant inside! They don't dry out as quickly as a screen cage but they don't stay wet overly long either.

Last edited:
So, a week on and my boy, Tatu, is doing so much better. Seems to be happier, healthier, and growing by the day! He's getting more colour now and is much more lively. He still closes one eye every now and again, but don't think that's anything to worry about. My panther used to do that from time to time too with no real issues cropping up.

I've also changed the basking spot lamp from a 100W to a 50W, which seems to be working well for him too.

The shop where I purchased him from tried to patronise me by selling me a book at MBD, so I told them straight that I know what it is and what causes it as I've had a chameleon before for 5 and a half years with no bone issues. Think they got the hint!

Anyway, thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1425.JPG
    IMG_1425.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 94
I'm sure you've also read that glass enclosures cannot be used for chams!;)

Fans must definitely be done correctly but keep in mind I said these are small fans and are pulling air OUT of the enclosure only - not blowing into it. This technique has worked well for me for the past approx. 15 years. A screen cage located in most rooms with air conditioning will have more "draft" than I am creating with this technique.

What I said about the 1/4" gap is that it is equal to a 3" x 3" open hole. A 1/4" opening 36" long equals 3" squared.

I know by the rate at which these cages dry out that the air is not by any means stagnant inside! They don't dry out as quickly as a screen cage but they don't stay wet overly long either.
Hi man it sounds good. that is actually a good way to put it. the thing is that read that on neccas book and the guy is pretty solid. It didn´t mention due why is bad. I may try that method sometime. I am just reaaaaly slow to assimilate new methods. I kinda finds something that work and keep at it. but let me please know how the chameleons kept like this do. I would like to learn what difference are between chameleons that are keep with fans and those who aren´t.

Back
Top Bottom