is having 2 UVB 10 strip bulbs ok?

Hi everyone, quick question... I have a Jacksons named Glen. I have him in a 24x24x48 screen cage with a exotera light on top that holds 2 uvb strip bulbs and 2 heat lamps for basking. i have a live umbrella plant in the cage that fills the entire thing. Is having 2 UVB 10 strips to much UVB?????...Also, he has been eating a lot less lately, some days he does not eat at all. He is about 1 year old

Last edited:
I think that's too much. A 10 is meant for dessert reptiles and you have 2 on him, you're blasting him with UVB. What are your temps? 2 heat lamps? Jacksons like it cool. You may want to fill out the how to ask for help form and check out the care sheets

I think that's too much. A 10 is meant for dessert reptiles and you have 2 on him, you're blasting him with UVB. What are your temps? 2 heat lamps? Jacksons like it cool. You may want to fill out the how to ask for help form and check out the care sheets
Ya I turned off one of the UVB strips. I live in Connecticut so it is not warm by any means. I have one basking spot and then one "semi basking spot" on the other side. He has plenty of room to get out of the heat.

I also have been giving him Calcium with D3 for all of his feedings :(. I just saw on the forums that this is a bad thing and will only be giving him D3 once a month from now on. He is still very active and I want it to stay that way but
Just replace one of the UV tubes with a plant tube or a 6700K
where would I buy a plant tube? And what type of their are multiple types?

I also have been giving him Calcium with D3 for all of his feedings :(. I just saw on the forums that this is a bad thing and will only be giving him D3 once a month from now on. He is still very active and I want it to stay that way but

where would I buy a plant tube? And what type of their are multiple types?

First, figure out if your tubes are T5 or T8. The number indicates how many eights of an inch the diameter of the tube is. So, T8 = 1 inch diameter. Most pet stores or online retailers that sell flourescent tubes will sell "plant tubes" which just have a phosphor coating that puts out more energy in the light wavelengths that plants use. If you just go to the hardware store to get a plain tube (they might have plant tubes) then get the highest "color temperature" they have. It's like 6500 or 6700. If you want a referral look at lightyourreptiles.com

If its 48" tall then 2 10.0 is fine. 2 10.0 puts out 166% of 1 10.0(remember some of the bulb light is just reflecting off the other bulb, so its not 2x the light output). And 1 10.0 is only 25-33% of 1 arcaida 6%. To put it in perspective, at 18", those 10.0's are borderline useless, and only putting out 10 umcm2 for a cham that should average 25umcm2. At 32" the arcaida 6% starts to become useless.

If its 48" tall then 2 10.0 is fine. 2 10.0 puts out 166% of 1 10.0(remember some of the bulb light is just reflecting off the other bulb, so its not 2x the light output). And 1 10.0 is only 25-33% of 1 arcaida 6%. To put it in perspective, at 18", those 10.0's are borderline useless, and only putting out 10 umcm2 for a cham that should average 25umcm2. At 32" the arcaida 6% starts to become useless.
So basically I should turn the other 10 uvb back on??

Great thank you for your help!! I'll check that out for sure. It's just the reptisun 10 strips I'm using so it probably says it on the box.

In my opinion it's ok for Arcadia to be higher powered because they put off less bad light as well. Reptisuns tend to have more issue with them as well. Which is why 10.0 are usually avoided with them in general. If you use a 10.0 at all you need tons of foliage.

I will fight the good fight....
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/is-uvb-10-harmful.128206/#post-1121612
http://www.amphibianark.org/pdf/Baines_etal_2016_How_much_UV-B.pdf
https://www.zoomed.com/Library//ProductDBFiles/ST-7_UV_Mtr_Instrctns.pdf

jacksons are in Ferguson Zones 2. Ferguson Zone 2-3 reptiles have a uvi index requirement of .7 to 1 UVI with a max recommended of 3.0 (what is recommended for a beardy).

A single zoomed 10. at 12" puts out .7 uvi

And no reptisun 10.0 tubes (not cfls) are German made with 6 phosphors and are second to none in quality. The only reason arcaidas are "better" is because they were the only ones making T5 HO's that er required for large enclosures.

Drops the mic....

Whenever he goes and basks though the UVB is hitting him. The light is all in one unit containing the heat bulbs as well as the UVB. I Don't know if that makes a difference in any of this but I think it might.

This is a pic of his enclosure so you guys know the foliage and what it looks like. In the pic Glen is under the heat bulb top right

Attachments

• IMG_2897.JPG
    IMG_2897.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 183
So based on the pic, you are using 2 15 watt reptisun 10.0 bulbs, for a total of 30 watts for a 4ft tall cage. Again i stand by by recommendations that you are no where near the danger zone, and those bulbs are doing squat for UV output by mid cage, even if you had zero plants. He will be fine, he can go to the top of the cage for some sun, and can dig into the foliage if he wants a cool spot for a while.

2 words of warning, jacksons are cool temp chams, so check your temps, He is not going to like it in the 80s for long durations. Also the bottom of your cage has substrate, so the dangers are a tongue full of coconut fiber or whatever you have, or an infestation of crickets if 2 or more fall in love and start a family.

So based on the pic, you are using 2 15 watt reptisun 10.0 bulbs, for a total of 30 watts for a 4ft tall cage. Again i stand by by recommendations that you are no where near the danger zone, and those bulbs are doing squat for UV output by mid cage, even if you had zero plants. He will be fine, he can go to the top of the cage for some sun, and can dig into the foliage if he wants a cool spot for a while.

2 words of warning, jacksons are cool temp chams, so check your temps, He is not going to like it in the 80s for long durations. Also the bottom of your cage has substrate, so the dangers are a tongue full of coconut fiber or whatever you have, or an infestation of crickets if 2 or more fall in love and start a family.
Got it, I knew about the temp- it's usually around 69-75 and as for the substrate I think I'm gunna can it and just use paper towels. Second thing- just talked to a friend who used to work at a reptile store called slither and swim in CT. He sided with you on this debate about the bulbs. I just don't want my plant to die on me now haha. So I might just go 1 10 UVB and one plant light. Would that be ok you think? The plant was 75$ and I don't want it dying on me, but I also want what is best for Glen.

I would use 1 uvb lamp and save myself 50% $ on lighting.
2x 10.0 on a jacksonii is just overkill, even if @nightanole is right about the 'danger zone', I don't see any benefits to having 2x 10.0 lamps in there.

Back
Top Bottom