Help my veiled Chameleon has swollen feet

How old is your chameleon? Does it have tarsal spurs?

MBD can be corrected but any damage already done to the chameleons bones etc will likely remain.

The way to correct it is to give the chameleon liquid calcium sandoz or gluconate until the bones are strong. A vet will test to make sure it's MBD and tell you how much to give it.

To keep it from returning you have to make sure that the insects are fed/gutloaded properly. Roaches, crickets, locusts, superworms can be fed dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, squash, collards, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, carrots and a bit of fruit like apples, pears, melon, berries, etc.

Appropriate temperatures allow for good digestion and thus play a part in nutrient absorption. Basking temperatures should be in the mid to low 80's F.

It's important to dust the ninsects just before you feed them to the chameleon with a phosphorous-free calcium powder at almost every feeding. It's important to dust them twice a month with a phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with a vitamin powder.

You can provide water long enough every day that the chameleon drinks by misting and using a dripper.

Will he survive?
If it doesn't see a vet, then yes, it possibly needs calcium injections or liquid calcium the vet can provide. At this point there's nothing really you can do to fix the problem. Like I said before you're at a crossroad and I'm so sorry but the good thing, it's at a point that you can save it but the longer you delay a vet your cham will go down hill quick, it won't be able to use its tongue, walk, climb. If you can't afford it you may try to find someone who can get it the help it needs.

If it doesn't see a vet, then yes, it possibly needs calcium injections or liquid calcium the vet can provide. At this point there's nothing really you can do to fix the problem. Like I said before you're at a crossroad and I'm so sorry but the good thing, it's at a point that you can save it but the longer you delay a vet your cham will go down hill quick, it won't be able to use its tongue, walk, climb. If you can't afford it you may try to find someone who can get it the help it needs.
My mom said we may be able to take him to the vet tomorrow

How old is your chameleon? Does it have tarsal spurs?

MBD can be corrected but any damage already done to the chameleons bones etc will likely remain.

The way to correct it is to give the chameleon liquid calcium sandoz or gluconate until the bones are strong. A vet will test to make sure it's MBD and tell you how much to give it.

To keep it from returning you have to make sure that the insects are fed/gutloaded properly. Roaches, crickets, locusts, superworms can be fed dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, squash, collards, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, carrots and a bit of fruit like apples, pears, melon, berries, etc.

Appropriate temperatures allow for good digestion and thus play a part in nutrient absorption. Basking temperatures should be in the mid to low 80's F.

It's important to dust the ninsects just before you feed them to the chameleon with a phosphorous-free calcium powder at almost every feeding. It's important to dust them twice a month with a phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with a vitamin powder.

You can provide water long enough every day that the chameleon drinks by misting and using a dripper.
I don’t know the answer to either of your questions

Oh yes it’s a male he has spurs
Look at the heels...does it have spurs like the male in this link?...
http://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/glossary/tarsalspur.html

If you want our help then we need answers to the questions we ask you so we have enough information to help you.

If it's a female it needs slightly different husbandry than a ma!e does. They can produce eggs without having mated and you need to be prepared for it.

And how do I transport him there
A shoe box with a towel inside and possibly a small branch for it to cling to but I would make sure the vet is trained in reptiles, I've heard of some vets just don't understand reptiles and can possibly do more harm than good but seeing a vet is the first step and good for you for taking it. Hope all works out.

Is there anyway you could get access to hornworms and or silkworms? From my experience there is nothing more appetizing to chameleons than wriggling food.

When a chameleon has MBD it not only causes soft Bo es it affects the muscles so it's digestion/pooping is slowed down. It might not be eating because of that. Also...what's the temperature where it's sitting all the time? If it's too cool its digestion will be slower too.

When a chameleon has MBD it not only causes soft Bo es it affects the muscles so it's digestion/pooping is slowed down. It might not be eating because of that. Also...what's the temperature where it's sitting all the time? If it's too cool its digestion will be slower too.
The temperature is at 75 degrees and he is always on his leaves

I have super worms

Super worms are not the same as soft bodied worms. I would recommend against giving them to your chameleon more than once or twice a week. Feeding them more than that could lead to prolapse, not to mention they're just not all that healthy. The worms you want are Silkworms, Hornworms, and Black Soldier Fly Larvae would work too (though my boy completely ignores the later). Silkworms and BSFL are high in calcium and other nutrients, so I'd say give them a try if you have the means to.

Super worms are not the same as soft bodied worms. I would recommend against giving them to your chameleon more than once or twice a week. Feeding them more than that could lead to prolapse, not to mention they're just not all that healthy. The worms you want are Silkworms, Hornworms, and Black Soldier Fly Larvae would work too (though my boy completely ignores the later). Silkworms and BSFL are high in calcium and other nutrients, so I'd say give them a try if you have the means to.
Do you know how much they cost at PetSmart

Back
Top Bottom