Help, my chameleon don’t look to good, and I’m not sure what to do

Bkaul9035768

Help, my 5 month old veiled chameleon is really sick. He won’t eat or drink anymore, looks very pale, and stays on his belly at the bottom of my 16” x 16” x 30” cage. His eyes are sunk, he keeps his mouth open all day, and his joints look swollen. I pinched his skin to see if he was dehydrated, but his skin reformed back to normal and didn’t stay pinched. I also have been giving him excessive amounts of liquid vitamin and liquid calcium. His crickets I give him are also powdered in calcium. The humidity is 55% and the temp in the room is 80°F. I use a uva/uvb fluorescent bulb that I change every 6 months, I do not have a working basking bulb at the moment since the dome lamp above the basking area is out. The cage is a screen cage with artificial branches and vines that I mist three times a day. I also have a good dish in the cage as well. The plant are elevated and are at least 8” away from the basking bulb and uva/uvb light. I use reptile carpet to help the humidity. So far I seem to be doing everything right. What is wrong with my chameleon?
7FA4BFF9-9BDB-431B-A3AF-3B38A47F3F73.jpeg
3987C15D-8089-43B0-87B1-2E1065823D5F.jpeg
9591094C-E04A-4A1F-8039-35C79690E710.jpeg
8529F4A7-ECA3-41D9-B33E-7516D1B7CA74.jpeg

You need to get that cham to a vet NOW. Like Yesterday. Things like this don't happen overnight You need to act quickly or ( I hate to say it) To me he doesn't look like he'll last long. :( That veiled looks way more like a panther than a veiled.

I shocked he hasn't passed yet. He needs a reptile vet right now. Theres not much we can do for him over the internet. I would say stop giving "excessive amounts of liquid calcium and multivitamin" as you could be doing much more harm than good, if you weren't directed by a vet. Too much can be just as bad as too little.

I wouldn't say you are doing everything right, if he looks like this. If he pulls through after a vet visit, we can try to help with your husbandry.

Have you tried to give him water by syringe? As in dripping it on his nose, to see if he will drink?

I shocked he hasn't passed yet. He needs a reptile vet right now. Theres not much we can do for him over the internet. I would say stop giving "excessive amounts of liquid calcium and multivitamin" as you could be doing much more harm than good, if you weren't directed by a vet. Too much can be just as bad as too little.

I wouldn't say you are doing everything right, if he looks like this. If he pulls through after a vet visit, we can try to help with your husbandry.

Have you tried to give him water by syringe? As in dripping it on his nose, to see if he will drink?

Yes, I’ve been giving him water through a syringe, he has been trying to move his head and walk. So that’s a good sign?

Is he keeping his eyes open?

Even if he starts improving, he needs a vet visit regardless.

Is he keeping his eyes open?

Even if he starts improving, he needs a vet visit regardless.
Yes he’s keeping his eyes open, I will try to take him to the vet as soon as possible. I’m doing all that I can in my power to keep him alive.

You need to get that cham to a vet NOW. Like Yesterday. Things like this don't happen overnight You need to act quickly or ( I hate to say it) To me he doesn't look like he'll last long. :( That veiled looks way more like a panther than a veiled.
[/
No.

Whatever was wrong initially has been compounded by overdosing him with calcium and vitamins. There is no coming back from this, vet or no vet.

Do the humane thing and end his suffering,
He looked like this before I bought the liquid vitamins and the calcium? I went to the store yesterday and asked what I should do to help him and they supplied me with the liquid vitamin and calcium. I’m only 14, this is the first time I’ve seen him do anything like this since the time I’ve had him. I can’t do much in my power until my parents get home.

He’s in horrible shape and is probably going to die in the next couple days. At this point I would seek to end his suffering.

No I cant tell you exactly what happened, but I can tell you incorrect husbandry and overdosing him with supplements as he declined were contributing factors.

Maybe @jannb @JacksJill and/or @kinyonga might be able to give you a better answer?

Back
Top Bottom