Help me pick out plants!!

I would really love a monstera. Gonna have to wait for Jox's cuttings! And the enclosure will be 48x24x48, do you think that will sustain it as long as I prune it a bit?

Oh, sorry! Misread the size. It will do well in that cage size but will still need pruning. No biggie because Monstera cuttings easily sell on cL and FB around here. I have mine in a similar size and they get about 1/3rd of the cage.

Im still filling in the bottom because Im waiting for the amates to grow in, but any creeping plant can fill it in. Check out glassboxtropicals.com for some nice pics to give you ideas. I have some birds nest ferns, resurrection ferns, licorice ferns, calathea, micans, and ficus pumila on the bottom of Walts cage. The ferns are a pita but look nice when not dead :) i also use a lot of cork bark tubes and various nut pods around the bottom which i think add a lot of character.

HOW did you do this? I love the idea. Would it work with a grocery store orchid?

The branch is 2-3” in diameter so we used a combination of a hole saw bit + chisel for the largest holes, or a paddle bit for the smaller ones. Then we stuffed in a little moss and soil before tucking the roots in and around the branch. Some of the plants needed extra support while they anchor in. It will work with any epiphyte (lots of orchids are). Look up mounting epiphytes... some might prefer more or less substrate around them.

Oh and I drilled a small drain hole under, just to keep water from pooling in that hole.

Arcea Palm.

The thing humidifies more than alot of the humidifers on Amazon. A must for anyone with a screen cage IMO.

Works with any epiphyte. Wrap the roots around the branch, and put a little sphag on top and use a wire or something to hold it up until the roots take hold. They sell PVC coated wire specifically for it, gardening wire.

You can also use Hot glue, or Super Glue as well, don't do it to the roots, unless it's a small area, but the dead stock area, you can glue.
You know what would be a fun project for you? Making a video of exactly how you do this. You know, for fun. Not because I am a child incapable of learning without watching a video.

Oh, sorry! Misread the size. It will do well in that cage size but will still need pruning. No biggie because Monstera cuttings easily sell on cL and FB around here. I have mine in a similar size and they get about 1/3rd of the cage.

Im still filling in the bottom because Im waiting for the amates to grow in, but any creeping plant can fill it in. Check out glassboxtropicals.com for some nice pics to give you ideas. I have some birds nest ferns, resurrection ferns, licorice ferns, calathea, micans, and ficus pumila on the bottom of Walts cage. The ferns are a pita but look nice when not dead :) i also use a lot of cork bark tubes and various nut pods around the bottom which i think add a lot of character.

The branch is 2-3” in diameter so we used a combination of a hole saw bit + chisel for the largest holes, or a paddle bit for the smaller ones. Then we stuffed in a little moss and soil before tucking the roots in and around the branch. Some of the plants needed extra support while they anchor in. It will work with any epiphyte (lots of orchids are). Look up mounting epiphytes... some might prefer more or less substrate around them.

Oh and I drilled a small drain hole under, just to keep water from pooling in that hole.
Thank you!! I have an orchid strapped to a vertical dowel right now with some sphag moss and fishing line. I really like the idea of finding something bigger and putting it IN the branch.

So to sum it all up, basically everything I originally mentioned. Brad can close the thread now. :cool:

Serious note, those cryptanthus are the king I had mount in my enclosure. Mine flowered, very cool, but they only turn that bright pink/purple if the light is strongggg.

So to sum it all up, basically everything I originally mentioned. Brad can close the thread now. :cool:

Serious note, those cryptanthus are the king I had mount in my enclosure. Mine flowered, very cool, but they only turn that bright pink/purple if the light is strongggg.
Sorry, who are you again? I dont remember getting any plant recommendations from you?

I really like that cryptanthus guy, but I have no idea where I would find it! Am I really going to have to resort to buying plants online?? Do you think a T5 plant grow light in a quad would be strongggg enough or should I get one of those crazy spotlight you plant people are always gushing over?
I forgot to order those plant lights that were on sale for prime day I hate myself o_O

HOW did you do this? I love the idea. Would it work with a grocery store orchid?

Drill holes into logs and stuff some sphagnum or whatever in. I've been doing this for a couple years and it comes out so nice. I did it with bromeliads and nepenthes, but anything could work. On the floor I had a log with creeping fig growing out

These pictures were before my broms threw off pups too.

Attachments

• 20180523_182924.jpg
    20180523_182924.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 20180523_152113.jpg
    20180523_152113.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 20180523_191644.jpg
    20180523_191644.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 176
Drill holes into logs and stuff some sphagnum or whatever in. I've been doing this for a couple years and it comes out so nice. I did it with bromeliads and nepenthes, but anything could work. On the floor I had a log with creeping fig growing out

LOOK AT THAT BIG BOY what a cutie oh my gosh my heart :love:
And sorry what exactly does throwing off pups mean? They dump babies off??

Sorry, who are you again? I dont remember getting any plant recommendations from you?

I really like that cryptanthus guy, but I have no idea where I would find it! Am I really going to have to resort to buying plants online?? Do you think a T5 plant grow light in a quad would be strongggg enough or should I get one of those crazy spotlight you plant people are always gushing over?
I forgot to order those plant lights that were on sale for prime day I hate myself o_O

No a t5 isn't that strong. You'd need a spot LED with the light right on the cryptanthus IME. A t5 might keep it alive, but it will turn a very plain light green

LOOK AT THAT BIG BOY what a cutie oh my gosh my heart :love:
And sorry what exactly does throwing off pups mean? They dump babies off??

Yeah it's when you see the little broms coming out from the sides. If your lighting is good they'll start spreading. It looks amazing when the whole top gets filled in with bromeliads. They have nice flowers too when they pop out for a short time.

Yeah it's when you see the little broms coming out from the sides. If your lighting is good they'll start spreading. It looks amazing when the whole top gets filled in with bromeliads. They have nice flowers too when they pop out for a short time.
I wish I had picked up some when home depot had a ton of small ones. I think they are at the end of their season for home depot cuz when I went yesterday they didnt have many and they were all mostly dead lol.
I guess I'm buying plants online... :rolleyes:

-Ficus alii, schefflera amate for climbing
-Nepenthes, monstera, pothos, wandering jew, prayer plants for hanging/vines/cool factor
-bromeliads, cryptanthus, ferns, creeping fig, polka dot plants, decoration(so many fall into this category)

Do you have creeping fig trailing down out of a pot, or do you let it grow up and along branches?

I love no-name's enclosure, everything just comes together so well!

I've tried mounting a pitcher plant in Donnie's cage three times now, and and no matter where I put it, he's like "Oh! A back scratcher!" and tramples all over it. The plant seems to hold up to it, but it was dang expensive, I'd prefer he not step and lay all over it. :p He's taken out a few bromeliads, too, but they're pretty tough.

I’m not super happy with it in this spot - Im worried as it gets bigger it will be too cramped a corner. What do you think @jamest0o0 ?
2B63EC4D-8630-4CA2-8EEB-8A870A7CD6CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Is your monstera growing up that branch, latching onto it with its aerial roots?

I have a large potted one and I can't decide if I want to add a cedar post or let it sprawl and keep it pruned.

Right now I just have paracord supporting the stalks, but it will eventually grab onto and climb the branches. It hasn't grown in enough yet to really throw the aerial roots, but the tall stalks get heavy so it needs support.

I've tried mounting a pitcher plant in Donnie's cage three times now, and and no matter where I put it, he's like "Oh! A back scratcher!" and tramples all over it. The plant seems to hold up to it, but it was dang expensive, I'd prefer he not step and lay all over it. :p He's taken out a few bromeliads, too, but they're pretty tough.
Pesto likes to trample the orchids that I have in his enclosure which is very rude because its starting to kill the flowers lol

I’m not super happy with it in this spot - Im worried as it gets bigger it will be too cramped a corner. What do you think @jamest0o0 ?
View attachment 239813

I didn't see you mention drilling for the plants lol I have a habit of just randomly selecting comments that I might be able to answer and replying rather than reading the whole thread o_O

Thank you. I mean, from that picture it looks good, like it has room to trail down? That's the pain with Panthers, they're so active and mess with everything. The nameless cham doesn't move much when he's inside, outside he's a little more active. Makes it easy to have things where I want them lol.

Back
Top Bottom