Help me pick out plants!!

What lighting will be provided ? Dual or quad fixture? Any natural light directly on the enclosure

Pothos , great strong running vine can tolerate low light , several varieties some vine more ( smaller leaves ) others shrub a bit ( broad leaves generally speaking) but accomplish the same effect ... Great for retaining mist / dripper for hydration

Pachira aka money tree
Great base of enclosure plant grows tall has vertical trunk and can branch out to provide a canopy generally strong enough for chams can support canopy with vines to add structure to upper areas and new growth.

Ficus variety ... Downside is the sap it oozes a sticky white sap if branches get snapped. But many keepers still use it . Hearty plant can grow with medium light

Benjamina bushes out grows tall adds cover and hiding spots

Elastica large broad leaves vertical growth adds color , very beautiful plant

Another classic is the Schefflera . Or umbrella plant Watching for variants dwarf or Actinophylla grow to about 6 ft where arborcola can grow to 10ft awesome leaves strong vertical growth and fills out with shoots that provide ample climbing terrain for your Cham without so much risk of sap from the ficus.

Bromeliad , speaking of adding color and being beautiful. Many color and shape varieties

Air plants ( I can mail you a big one I've got a few monster ones ) they love mist but require little to no care or even soil so that's a plus

Also there are cane plants and palms that are popular ... The dracaena and parlor palm comes to mind I have dracaena 3 but they are too small for me to use effectively in my enclosure at the moment. Broad leaves can grow tall vertically with very sturdy trunk or stalk

Just the tip of the ice burg but I hope this helps

Attachments

• proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 89
  • proxy.duckduckgo.com(2).jpg
    proxy.duckduckgo.com(2).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 129
  • proxy.duckduckgo.com(4).jpg
    proxy.duckduckgo.com(4).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 83
  • proxy.duckduckgo.com(5).jpg
    proxy.duckduckgo.com(5).jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 111
  • schefflera.jpg
    schefflera.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 89
  • proxy.duckduckgo.com(6).jpg
    proxy.duckduckgo.com(6).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 92
  • proxy.duckduckgo.com(7).jpg
    proxy.duckduckgo.com(7).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 86
  • proxy.duckduckgo.com(8).jpg
    proxy.duckduckgo.com(8).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 70
What lighting will be provided ? Dual or quad fixture? Any natural light directly on the enclosure

Pothos , great strong running vine can tolerate low light , several varieties some vine more ( smaller leaves ) others shrub a bit ( broad leaves generally speaking) but accomplish the same effect ... Great for retaining mist / dripper for hydration

Pachira aka money tree
Great base of enclosure plant grows tall has vertical trunk and can branch out to provide a canopy generally strong enough for chams can support canopy with vines to add structure to upper areas and new growth.

Ficus variety ... Downside is the sap it oozes a sticky white sap if branches get snapped. But many keepers still use it . Hearty plant can grow with medium light

Benjamina bushes out grows tall adds cover and hiding spots

Elastica large broad leaves vertical growth adds color , very beautiful plant

Another classic is the Schefflera . Or umbrella plant Watching for variants dwarf or Actinophylla grow to about 6 ft where arborcola can grow to 10ft awesome leaves strong vertical growth and fills out with shoots that provide ample climbing terrain for your Cham without so much risk of sap from the ficus.

Bromeliad , speaking of adding color and being beautiful. Many color and shape varieties

Air plants ( I can mail you a big one I've got a few monster ones ) they love mist but require little to no care or even soil so that's a plus

Also there are cane plants and palms that are popular ... The dracaena and parlor palm comes to mind I have dracaena 3 but they are too small for me to use effectively in my enclosure at the moment. Broad leaves can grow tall vertically with very sturdy trunk or stalk

Just the tip of the ice burg but I hope this helps
See guys this is the exact format of information I was looking for. Look at those beautiful pictures. Take note James.

I have a quad that will have a plant bulb in it. I'm not sure on the location of the enclosure itself or whether it will have natural light. It's being put together whe I move. I may add a plant light spotlight or two in the enclosure if my plants seem to need it.
Ok so I am always very interested in air plants, but they also confuse me. Their care is so weird to me lol. I've had many people explain their care to me (@GoodKarma19 ) but I still dont understand. Am I incapable?!?! What sort of ways do you mount/plant(?) your air plants in your enclosure?

Schefflera Amate looks nice and lush in the enclosures, I prefer them over Schefflera Arbicola (sp?). You can see them just starting to grow in at the bottom of the cage. In a month they’ll be half way to the top! Its also a cheap plant... you can order one online from homedepot dor $25... but its actually TWO plants you can keep together or split up. I split mine up and spread them out. They’ll grow to the top of the cage but its also airy enough to not be toooo thick of foliage.
8102FABD-CD8F-4196-93AF-EBA40008D453.jpeg
BE71E646-C75D-42E3-AA22-5FEE341959D0.jpeg

My favorite plant in the enclosures so far is anthurium friedrichstahlii. I am stalking the internet for another. I have it mounted epiphytically. I think I paid $25. Very dainty and unique, and its my chams fav plant to sleep under.
DD79C104-5657-4781-9452-072AB7F67EB9.jpeg 3731A896-1AB3-4732-ADC1-8EF80D7EEA4A.jpeg

Heart Leaf philodendron grows quickly and is similar to pothos but with wider, darker matte green leaves.
A604D5B4-C407-49EF-9063-D9CE2437A90D.jpeg
33E95A33-23B2-45CE-89B4-6F0D7CE3FFBA.jpeg

Black Philodendron Micans are cool climbers.

Monstera is super cool but it gets BIG - I think 24x24 will be too small for a maturing plant.
D5F6DABD-D9A1-4D72-B3F2-F5AA70F30F43.jpeg
C907E1AC-41C9-482E-B5EB-572B27C442F2.jpeg

Pothos is always nice but somehow it is the finickiest plant in my cages. Outside of cages it does great but doesnt get deep enough watering when mounted higher up... so mine always look wilty.

I am really digging epiphytes right now and my next build will be mostly epiphytic plants. Especially birds nest ferns mounted on large branches.

Philodendron Mayoi is cool and climbs similar to Monstera. I got one to use in the next build. Looks nice as a house plant too.
8DF864C9-E141-4171-9AD9-0B04A2DA8BC8.jpeg

Prayer plant looks nice too with thick wide leaves and decent stems. It grows quickly and is inexpensive. Adds some texture and patterns to the cage.
73FE56E3-4A5B-4F9F-962F-202F48994A55.jpeg

See guys this is the exact format of information I was looking for. Look at those beautiful pictures. Take note James.

I have a quad that will have a plant bulb in it. I'm not sure on the location of the enclosure itself or whether it will have natural light. It's being put together whe I move. I may add a plant light spotlight or two in the enclosure if my plants seem to need it.
Ok so I am always very interested in air plants, but they also confuse me. Their care is so weird to me lol. I've had many people explain their care to me (@GoodKarma19 ) but I still dont understand. Am I incapable?!?! What sort of ways do you mount/plant(?) your air plants in your enclosure?
Air plants are soooo easy ... My misting sustains a massive 2ft long tillandsia. Some care guides say to submerge but it often leaves them at risk to rot. I mounted mine to a vine in a corner with a pipe cleaner for padding . Old photo before I got my current set up but of look at how small he is there ( they do grow so fast)
IMG_20190203_202412.jpg

Air plants are soooo easy ... My misting sustains a massive 2ft long tillandsia. Some care guides say to submerge but it often leaves them at risk to rot. I mounted mine to a vine in a corner with a pipe cleaner for padding . Old photo before I got my current set up but of look at how small he is there ( they do grow so fast) View attachment 239792
Omg I was gonna say look at that little boy in there! Such a cutie. That air plant is massive! I'm definitely going to have to get myself some of those

Schefflera Amate looks nice and lush in the enclosures, I prefer them over Schefflera Arbicola (sp?). You can see them just starting to grow in at the bottom of the cage. In a month they’ll be half way to the top! Its also a cheap plant... you can order one online from homedepot dor $25... but its actually TWO plants you can keep together or split up. I split mine up and spread them out. They’ll grow to the top of the cage but its also airy enough to not be toooo thick of foliage.
View attachment 239774
View attachment 239777

My favorite plant in the enclosures so far is anthurium friedrichstahlii. I am stalking the internet for another. I have it mounted epiphytically. I think I paid $25. Very dainty and unique, and its my chams fav plant to sleep under.
View attachment 239770View attachment 239778

Heart Leaf philodendron grows quickly and is similar to pothos but with wider, darker matte green leaves.
View attachment 239771
View attachment 239780

Black Philodendron Micans are cool climbers.

Monstera is super cool but it gets BIG - I think 24x24 will be too small for a maturing plant.
View attachment 239776
View attachment 239772

Pothos is always nice but somehow it is the finickiest plant in my cages. Outside of cages it does great but doesnt get deep enough watering when mounted higher up... so mine always look wilty.

I am really digging epiphytes right now and my next build will be mostly epiphytic plants. Especially birds nest ferns mounted on large branches.

Philodendron Mayoi is cool and climbs similar to Monstera. I got one to use in the next build. Looks nice as a house plant too.
View attachment 239773

Prayer plant looks nice too with thick wide leaves and decent stems. It grows quickly and is inexpensive. Adds some texture and patterns to the cage.
View attachment 239790
I've been waiting for your post :love:

Ok so, I'm definitely going to pick up that schefflera you mentioned. I didnt even THINK about ordering them on home depot's website. I'm so stupid, I love online shopping. How could I forget??
I would really love a monstera. Gonna have to wait for Jox's cuttings! And the enclosure will be 48x24x48, do you think that will sustain it as long as I prune it a bit?
I have been looking for a prayer plant! I didnt know the name until this moment. This is why pictures are important (James)!

What sort of plants do you reccomend best with climbing vines and for "ground cover" of sorts? I want something that will eventually cover most of my back wall that I plan to use Great Stuff to foam and mount planters. I am not necessarily looking for something with big leaves, more so something that will spread across the wall. Dont know if I'm describing something that doesnt exist or not lol

W

wow those are beautiful I need to add those to my collection

I am a fan of purple/red plants so those are in the chameleon enclosure. But if there's insufficient light, the red hue will disappear and it will just be a green plant.

Btw the wandering jew are flourishing in my enclosure and currently competing with the pothos.

My favorite plant in the enclosures so far is anthurium friedrichstahlii. I am stalking the internet for another. I have it mounted epiphytically.
HOW did you do this? I love the idea. Would it work with a grocery store orchid?

Arcea Palm.

The thing humidifies more than alot of the humidifers on Amazon. A must for anyone with a screen cage IMO.

HOW did you do this? I love the idea. Would it work with a grocery store orchid?

Works with any epiphyte. Wrap the roots around the branch, and put a little sphag on top and use a wire or something to hold it up until the roots take hold. They sell PVC coated wire specifically for it, gardening wire.

You can also use Hot glue, or Super Glue as well, don't do it to the roots, unless it's a small area, but the dead stock area, you can glue.

Back
Top Bottom