Help me check my checklist checkers

chambabysitter1

Okay, so after reading, asking a TON (I mean a ton) of questions to various posters, I got my shopping list and supplies in order for a future panther. Tell me what you all think.

Special thanks to Dave, Summoner12, Laurie, and everyone else who answered my questions in various posts and showed their support. Those 2 useful blogs we're an awesome help too.

List so far:
- Used juvenile cage borrowed from forum member. New 2x2x4 aluminum screen from LLL.
- 18" Reptisun 5.0 UVB tube and 24" fixtue
- Dome fixture and 50 watt zoo med UVA bulb. Spare 75 watt sunglo bulb too.
- Sticky Tongue Minerall INDOOR formula
- Sticky Tongue Minerall OUTDOOR forumla
- Sticky Tongue Vit All
- Digital Thermometer and Humidity gauge. Laser thermometer for spot checking here at home.
- Mister Bottle
- Hole in the bottle dripper
- Some kind of plant depending on local availability.

I cleared a spot in the empty corner of my room right next to the window. During this season it doesn't get much sun, but it does later. I plan to get a sunning cage when I move him to the 2x2x4. The cage would sit on a table just under 2 feet high.

Minus the Chameleon and his food, is there anything else I need at this early point? I've asked already, but the more opinions the better. Feed me information!

Last edited:
What you've got sounds pretty good so far!
-Along with the live plant, you should get some fake vines. They're great for making "highways" for your cham and basking spots. I use 4 fake vines and a nice big schefflera. Two of my vines are like these: http://www.bigappleherp.com/Exo-Terra-Jungle-Vines
-Along with a hand mister, drippers are a great way for your cham to keep hydrated inbetween mistings: http://www.bigappleherp.com/Zoo-Med-Drippers
-And lastly, a timer for your lights is a very good idea! I use this one: http://www.bigappleherp.com/DIGITAL-7-Day-Programmable-Timer

Okay, so after reading, asking a TON (I mean a ton) of questions to various posters, I got my shopping list and supplies in order for a future panther. Tell me what you all think.

Special thanks to Dave, Summoner12, Laurie, and everyone else who answered my questions in various posts and showed their support. Those 2 useful blogs we're an awesome help too.

List so far:
- Used juvenile cage borrowed from forum member. New 2x2x4 aluminum screen from LLL.
- Sticky Tongue Vit All
- Digital Thermometer and Humidity gauge
- Mister Bottle

I cleared a spot in the empty corner of my room right next to the window. During this season it doesn't get much sun, but it does later. I plan to get a sunning cage when I move him to the 2x2x4. The cage would sit on a table just under 2 feet high.

Minus the Chameleon and his food, is there anything else I need at this early point? I've asked already, but the more opinions the better. Feed me information!

It sounds good to me! maybe incoporate a drip system for constant waterings

Im not sure about the brand of supplements you are getting but i would recomend http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/supplements.html

Other then that add some nice hanging pothos, schflerra or a nice bushy ficus

Also get a digital thermometer/hydrometer they have a nice one on LLL.reptile for cheap and does the job.

Good luck to you :D:)

Last edited:
What you've got sounds pretty good so far!
-Along with the live plant, you should get some fake vines. They're great for making "highways" for your cham and basking spots. I use 4 fake vines and a nice big schefflera. Two of my vines are like these: http://www.bigappleherp.com/Exo-Terra-Jungle-Vines
-Along with a hand mister, drippers are a great way for your cham to keep hydrated inbetween mistings: http://www.bigappleherp.com/Zoo-Med-Drippers
-And lastly, a timer for your lights is a very good idea! I use this one: http://www.bigappleherp.com/DIGITAL-7-Day-Programmable-Timer

Thanks for the tips Syreptyon. I was looking for some more solutions to fleshing out the habitat.

As for the dripper, I am going to just DIY a hole in the bottle dripper. I added it to my post above after you just reminded me, thanks.

And the timer, I think we have a few extra here, as for now I don't mind flipping them on and off by hand. I have time on my hands.

Thanks for the tips Syreptyon. I was looking for some more solutions to fleshing out the habitat.

As for the dripper, I am going to just DIY a hole in the bottle dripper. I added it to my post above after you just reminded me, thanks.

And the timer, I think we have a few extra here, as for now I don't mind flipping them on and off by hand. I have time on my hands.

Sounds great! You're off to a fantastic start. I can't wait to see your little cham once you get him! :D

List so far:
- Sticky Tongue Vit All
- Digital Thermometer and Humidity gauge. Laser thermometer for spot checking here at home.
- Mister Bottle
- Hole in the bottle dripper

18" Reptisun 5.0 UVB tube and 24" fixtue They have to be the same no? Same size

I think what was meant is that the fixture is larger than the tube, but supports the 18" tube.
You've got a good list - well done being prepared!

Alright, update.
I went to see Dave Weldon today, who has an amazing Nosy Be along with a grouchy old Veiled. Both we're awesome to see in person.
Anyways, it was nice seeing some live setups and his reptile room! Gives me a much better frame of reference to work from. Also, Dave is an unbelievably nice guy.

After a bit of chit chat about his cham's reactions to new bright t-shirt colors, I got thinking. My room is painted a horrible bright blood red that was here when I moved in. After a little discussion, it was clear this could be a variable in the chameleons stress level.

I was going to prime and paint my room anyways, now I just have a better excuse. Probably a cream and light green.

For now, holding off on owning until my room is finished being painted. I did pick up some sticky tongue formulas though along with a lower wattage light. That should cover everything from this point.

Alright, update.
I went to see Dave Weldon today, who has an amazing Nosy Be along with a grouchy old Veiled. Both we're awesome to see in person.
Anyways, it was nice seeing some live setups and his reptile room! Gives me a much better frame of reference to work from. Also, Dave is an unbelievably nice guy.

After a bit of chit chat about his cham's reactions to new bright t-shirt colors, I got thinking. My room is painted a horrible bright blood red that was here when I moved in. After a little discussion, it was clear this could be a variable in the chameleons stress level.

I was going to prime and paint my room anyways, now I just have a better excuse. Probably a cream and light green.

For now, holding off on owning until my room is finished being painted. I did pick up some sticky tongue formulas though along with a lower wattage light. That should cover everything from this point.

a thought, isn't vitAll a cricket gutload?
I met with Linda J Davidson the other day. she told me it was a cricket gutload.

In this case, you need 1 multivitamin supplement.
Reptivite or Herptivite depending on what you believe (preform vit A or beta carotene).

a thought, isn't vitAll a cricket gutload?
I met with Linda J Davidson the other day. she told me it was a cricket gutload.

In this case, you need 1 multivitamin supplement.
Reptivite or Herptivite depending on what you believe (preform vit A or beta carotene).

Yes, I discovered from Dave that the vitall is just a gutload, which is a bit redundant seeing how I am buying cricket crack on Tuesday.

Stickytongue indoor or outdoor does not provide vit a or beta carotene? LLL doesn't really show the details of the formulas.

Yes, I discovered from Dave that the vitall is just a gutload, which is a bit redundant seeing how I am buying cricket crack on Tuesday.

Stickytongue indoor or outdoor does not provide vit a or beta carotene? LLL doesn't really show the details of the formulas.

nope.
They are minerals and calcium (the indoor one has vit D3).
you need 1 multivitamin (for the rest of the vitamins).

Thanks for the help dodo.
How do you recommend applying these?

Repti or Herpti, what do you think?

ahhhh... either way is fine.
The debate about retinol and beta carotene is still going on and no one knows the definitive answer, yet.
I am using herptivite and I do supply my chams with retinyl palmitate once a month or two.

After talking to Jim Flaherty, i am a bit more swayed toward reptivite.
But, have not tried it yet.

r you asking about my supplement schedule?

ahhhh... either way is fine.
The debate about retinol and beta carotene is still going on and no one knows the definitive answer, yet.
I am using herptivite and I do supply my chams with retinyl palmitate once a month or two.

After talking to Jim Flaherty, i am a bit more swayed toward reptivite.
But, have not tried it yet.

r you asking about my supplement schedule?

Yes to the supplement schedule. Soon I'll be sitting on Indoor, Outdoor, and the Reptivite/Herptivite. Just wondering what I should do with all of them.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge Dodo.

edit: Nvm, read chamworld.blogspot and got a better idea on what I should be doing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom