HELP ! LOST MY VEILED :(

So yesterday my boyfriend was letting our little girl (5-6 months old approx) veiled chameleon hang out on the window sill which we ALWAYS do, and he looked over ten min later to find her GONE. I have torn apart (gently) my apartment, looked on EVERY cord, behind every TV, every high up spot, cabinets, blinds etc you name it and am now truly starting to panic. There's really no way she could have gotten outside and our cat was contained in (and still is) another room. I've lowered her cage to the ground so she can climb back in and put her hibiscus in front of the screen door hoping she would come out to back in the morning but 24 hours later NO signs of her at all. Am wondering if anyone has any advice / tips to catch / find her OR if this could possibly be her getting ready to lay eggs for the first time and looking for a suitable spot (though I've set up a very nice deep one in her enclosure)... ANY help or advice would help, my eyes are so puffy from crying they're practically swollen shut, shes gone missing before but always very easy to find so this is very strange and is making me really start to panic :( Help pleaseeee

I'm afraid I'm not too much help for lost chameleon specifically, beyond looking everywhere high, but I did have an escapee Blue Tongue Skink a few months ago that I found by listening. She was missing for about a day and I finally found her in one of my purses about a foot off the ground because of the faint scratching noises she was making.

I'm not sure how well it might work for a chameleon, but you can try turning everything off that might make a noise and listen. It might take a while because she might freeze when you're moving around, so just sit very still. Again, I'm not sure how much that might help, but good luck in finding her!

I've never had my chameleon run away, but here is an idea
Maybe you can leave a see-through cricket keeper on the floor or near the window sill and check once in a while to see if you find your cham is trying to get to the bugs. Your chameleon should be hungry if it hasn't had any crickets for a day...
Just an idea, hope it helps. Good luck finding it!

Look for her in the dark with a flashlight. They usually turn lighter colors when sleeping and are more obvious as a result. Look high, as what was suggested but she could be anywhere. I've found mine on the tressel of a table, on fireplace tools, on electrical cords and other places. Good luck.

She must be so hungry. Try leaving an open worm container out and check to see if she is there once in a while. I hope you find her!!

Look for her in the dark with a flashlight. They usually turn lighter colors when sleeping and are more obvious as a result. Look high, as what was suggested but she could be anywhere. I've found mine on the tressel of a table, on fireplace tools, on electrical cords and other places. Good luck.

Yes, looking for her at night with a flashlight is a great idea. I use a flashlight to check on all my chams every night. Also, listening for her during the day (perhaps about an hour or two before bedtime as she searches for a place to perch for the night) is another very promising option and one I have used when one of my chams have escaped the indoor free range area. Good luck!!

The flashlight at night is the best way to find escapees ive had a few escape outside an its always easy to find them at night they stand out . if shes inside don't give up keep looking

I would make my house as dark as possible during the day and put a bright light up in the corner of the room I suspected my cham to be in. I've never dealt with a lost one so I have no idea if it would work at all, but it seems logical. But I keep my house on the cool side, so if one did ever escape I'm pretty sure the first thing they would do is look for a light source to warm up.

There was a screen on the window but we do live in an old socal apartment and I fear she may have found some bizarre tiny way to escape :((( I have been turning my apartment (gently) upside down tthe past 72 hours, I have looked EVERYWHERE, and the worst part is shes gone "missing" lots of times as I let her free range and is always in the usual spots (cords, behind my computer, my blinds etc) but this time she is NO WHERE :((( Is it possible she found some crazy burrow area I cant get to to lay her eggs? She just turned of age so am wondering about that...but again I have completely torn apart every part of my apartment and the worrisome part is i live in a studio apt, SUPER small, and she just isn't THAT hard to spot so I am totally fearing the worst :( I've pulled out all my appliances, looked in EVERY bizarre spot you can imagine, and no Moody anywhere. I've also tried looking every night when she's brightest to no avail :(

How about your closet? People have found them sleeping on hangers before.
Good luck! You'll probably turn around and there she will be.:LOL:

My door was closed though to my bedroom as I block off my cats in there so she can free range in peace...can they get under doors?? I really wouldn't think she would be able to fit...like at all..

BUT I have checked all my closet clothes in case and no luck....why would she not be coming out to get sun during the day?? Makes no sense / makes me feel like something Bad happened or she got out somehow :((((((

Good luck. She will turn up. I accidently left the door open on my enclosure one time and my little guy was two rooms down the hall on our babies changing table. It was hours later that he was there. Don't lose hope you'll find her.

Look under any couches or love seats...like actually tip them back and check up inside under the framing.

I have a male veiled cham ,I'm scared to let him roam free for that reason, I know he loves getting out and exploring but I'm scared to lose him ,wish you luck and like other post he likes to go to high places just a thought

my cham escaped once and proceeded to fall down the (hardwood spiral) stairs and dislocate his ankle and elbow. we found him climbing on the downstairs stair rail, about to fall down yet another flight of (bare hardwood) stairs. just hanging out. turned out ok, all things considered, so maybe try looking around places that he may have climbed to and then fallen from. he was stressed after the ordeal but given an otherwise clean bill of health from the vet :) since its been a day or so, hope for the best but prepare for the worst :/ hope it turns out alright

Back
Top Bottom