Help!! Is my veiled chameleon pregnant??

Araceli

I have a chameleon that is almost 1 yr old and I think she may be pregnant :eek: . I've read a forum by "pohchunyee" https://www.chameleonforums.com/pregnant-female-4838/ and my Veiled Chameleon is showing almost all characteristics! Her colors look almost exactly the same as the one in that picture. Her colors are very dark, she cannot stand being in the same cage with the male. The cage is 2ft x2ft x4ft and not until about 2 weeks ago, she started being very aggressive with the male. she opens her mouth at him from a distance as soon as she sees him, even if he is far away from her. I've set-up a big container inside her cage with sand just in case she might be pregnant & needs to lay her eggs. I attached pictures of her, what her normal colors were and what she looks like now. Please let me know if you think she might be pregnant :confused: . I would really appreciate it! thanks!!! :)

Attachments

• girly.jpg
    girly.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,805
  • girlyy.jpg
    girlyy.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 856
  • DSC_0050.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 1,390
  • prego cham.jpg
    prego cham.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 1,546
  • preg cham.jpg
    preg cham.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 1,539
Welcome.

Unfortunately having two chameleons in one cage is a bad idea, the male will want to mate and will try regardless of what the female wants. They will either kill eachother or she'll get pregnant alot and that amount of eggs many times can kill her. Females have eggs regardless of if there's a male or not but mating makes it alot harder on the female and adds a lot of stress. Your female definately looks pregnant, and you should have a small bin in there to know when she'll start digging then put her in a 12 inch deep container of damp play sand. Do not bother her or let her see you until sge is done laying or she may abandon the egg hole and become eggbound.

I have a chameleon that is almost 1 yr old and I think she may be pregnant :eek: . I've read a forum by "pohchunyee" https://www.chameleonforums.com/pregnant-female-4838/ and my Veiled Chameleon is showing almost all characteristics! Her colors look almost exactly the same as the one in that picture. Her colors are very dark, she cannot stand being in the same cage with the male. The cage is 2ft x2ft x4ft and not until about 2 weeks ago, she started being very aggressive with the male. she opens her mouth at him from a distance as soon as she sees him, even if he is far away from her. I've set-up a big container inside her cage with sand just in case she might be pregnant & needs to lay her eggs. I attached pictures of her, what her normal colors were and what she looks like now. Please let me know if you think she might be pregnant :confused: . I would really appreciate it! thanks!!! :)

yeah\ she\ got\ eggs\ fro6m\ the\ looks\ of\ things.

also\ what\ karma\ said\ is\ dead\ on\ true.\ dont\ be\ foolish\ act\ now!\ even\ if\ u\ ha5ve\ to\ put\ the\ 6male\ loose\ in\ another\ roo6m\ she\ needs\ peace\ to\ lay\ eggs\ or\ she\ will\ hold\ the6m\ in\ and\ need\ surgery\ or\ end\ up\ dieing.

she does have a bit of a gravid look going on with her stomach getting that 2 point curve. her colors don't seem dead on with the gravid coloration, but her stomach definitely looks questionable.

how is her eating, drinking, and is she antsy? spend a lot of time towards the bottom of the cage?

@KarmaChameleon: I agree. I have a spare cage & I will separate them today. THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE!!!!!

@Thezillaman: Yes, like I told Karma, I will put the male in a separate cage today to avoid any more stress on her. THANKS !!!

You are welcome. If you have any more questions ask away. You can fill out the how to ask for help form in the health clinic, so we can see if there's anything else that will help. You should also up her calcium once she lays.

she does have a bit of a gravid look going on with her stomach getting that 2 point curve. her colors don't seem dead on with the gravid coloration, but her stomach definitely looks questionable.

how is her eating, drinking, and is she antsy? spend a lot of time towards the bottom of the cage?

Her eating has deteriorated a bit; my boyfriend either hand-feeds her or puts worms in a bowl for her to eat & there's no problem, but lately when I try putting my hand close to her to feed her, she gets scared and goes away. I don't know if maybe it's because she's used to my boyfriend feeding her or if maybe it's not normal regardless of who feeds her. for the most part, she hangs on a stick underneath the light. she does crawl on the bottom of the cage but I thought she might've been looking for food because she has done that before (much before we started noticing her different behavior).

You are welcome. If you have any more questions ask away. You can fill out the how to ask for help form in the health clinic, so we can see if there's anything else that will help. You should also up her calcium once she lays.
(I'm new to this website!) I think It's a matter of time to see what happens. I'm definitely separating the male out of her cage because I had been noticing lately that, whenever she didn't get mad having him nearby, he would want to breed and that would infuriate her! I also have one of those 5 gallon buckets (about 14in high) with sand in it for her to lay her eggs in. I read that someone put moist DIRT instead of sand .. do you think that can work, too? Thanks for taking the time to read my post & writing back ;)

i like sand because i think it's cleaner, potting soil can contain all kinds od dirty things, play sand works well, it's easy to gage, and easy to work with. cover her cage with a bed sheet and turn her misters off, then peek in on her quietly 2x a day and only water her if she's not in the lay box. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom